College football thread

nalani

Now, if only Hawaii would beat a team that was any good...

that would be doable if those teams would agree to play the Warriors. Catch 22 - if the play them and beat them, they don't gain anything. If they come and lose, they drop in the polls.

At any rate, our boys are holding quite well and deserving of their ranks. I *heart* Colt.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
They beat Alabama last year, no?

Don't help 'em none in this season's poll though.

Now that the annual loss to Michigan is out of the way, maybe JoePa's crew can manage no more than one more loss and get to a decent bowl game. If they can beat the teams they should beat and pull a mild shocker against ohio state (intentionally not capitalized) they still have an outside shot at a BCS game.

unclehobart

Its probably because they keep throttling Penn State.

Its sorta like me with the Florida Gators beating UGA 7 out of 8 years.

Inkara1

that would be doable if those teams would agree to play the Warriors. Catch 22 - if the play them and beat them, they don't gain anything. If they come and lose, they drop in the polls.

At any rate, our boys are holding quite well and deserving of their ranks. I *heart* Colt.

If you think Hawaii has a hard time with that, it could be worse... you could be Fresno State. It's a lot easier to get teams to come to your place to play when you're in paradise. I know a year or two ago, Alabama came there as a sort of end-of-season treat. Fresno doesn't have the whole trip to the islands thing... so a lot of teams will agree to a two-home-for-one-in-Fresno contract, then buy out of the one-in-Fresno part.

nalani

If you think Hawaii has a hard time with that, it could be worse... you could be Fresno State. It's a lot easier to get teams to come to your place to play when you're in paradise. I know a year or two ago, Alabama came there as a sort of end-of-season treat. Fresno doesn't have the whole trip to the islands thing... so a lot of teams will agree to a two-home-for-one-in-Fresno contract, then buy out of the one-in-Fresno part.

Actually, it's the worse this year as it's every been. I believe we only have a 12 game schedule because no one would play - and that schedule wasn't finalized until the very last second. It's not like teams get to hang out when they come here and they definitely have more disadvantages than advantages - time difference, jet lag, drop in ranks, etc. I think there were three teams this year who bought out of their agreement rather than play which is good for the program financially but doesn't do anything for the game of football. We, at least, have Boise State on the schedule and Washington State. Those should be interesting games.

unclehobart

Bloody Hell! The top 25 was cut up yesterday. Anything that could go wrong did.

1. USC-Tried hard to give the game away. Won by a thin margin.
2. LSU- Looked bad for three quarters before they played like themselves.
3. Oklahoma-Lost to a lame ass Colorado team.
4. Florida-Lost.
5. West Virginia- Lost
6. California-Did OK against an explosive Oregon team.
7. Texas-Lost.
8. Ohio State-Won big, looked good.
9.Wisconsin-Tried very hard to lose.
10. Rutgers- Lost... Revenge of the Titanic.
11.Oregon- Lost to #6 Cal.
12.Boston College-Won against a good Mass squad.
13. Clemson-Lost to a schizo Ga Tech.
14. Kentucky-Won handily.
15. UGA-Won big in the end.
16. South Carolina- Won.
17. Virginia Tech- Won by a thin margin.
18. South Florida- Thumped West Virginia.
19. Hawaii-Won.
20. Mizzou (bye week?)
21. Penn State- Lost
22. Alabama-Lost
23. Arizona State- Won big.
24. Cinci-Won big.
25. Nebraska-won

chcr

Too cute for words
Was it a segragated college back then? Was it ever? I don't really know. I know that a good many of them were back in 'the day'.

I'd guess not. One of her friends we'd always look up when I was little and she'd go home for a visit was a black lady. She was married to a white man (even then a scandal) and I always understood they met at OSU, although I could have that wrong.

chcr

Too cute for words
BTW, re the weekend in college football: WHEW!!!!

My Big Red hammered Georgetown 45-7. Yay.