Could be interesting...

greenfreak

Inkara1 said:
There are a few reasons people might not want to be on a jury. For one, hourly workers have to take that time off and therefore don't get paid for the hours they weren't at work. Jury Duty around here pays something like $5 a day, and only after two or three days does it start. Minimum Wage is $6.75 in California. You're looking at a potential loss of hundreds of dollars, which can mean bills don't get paid. You can ask to be let out because it would cause undue financial hardship, but you're not guaranteed to have your request granted.

I can understand it from a money point of view but I've never heard that being cited as a reason, to be honest. Most everyone instantly tries to think of ways to get out of it, even if they've never been called before. I don't think I've ever met anyone who was either neutral about it or who wanted to do their part.

greenfreak

Leslie said:
this is a little different...it's not just a car theft case or summat, this is the death penalty phase...the person has been found guilty and now Joe is sitting with someone's life in his hands...not a good place I imagine :eh:

Think about it, you're saying that to the wrong person. With my medical background, I don't have a problem with having someone's life in my hands. These are the kinds of cases I would want to sit on, the small claims court kinda stuff would be boring I think.

With the medical background and my prior investigation and testimony in an FBI case, that would probably prevent me from ever being chosen for an important case anyway, I don't think it will ever happen. :(

Squiggy

ThunderDick
There is a section on the initial form in which you can ask to be excused for hardship reasons. Its not really that unusual for single income families to excercise that option.

Trish, I think this case may cause even you to gag a bit...:(

freako104

greenfreak said:
Think about it, you're saying that to the wrong person. With my medical background, I don't have a problem with having someone's life in my hands. These are the kinds of cases I would want to sit on, the small claims court kinda stuff would be boring I think.

With the medical background and my prior investigation and testimony in an FBI case, that would probably prevent me from ever being chosen for an important case anyway, I don't think it will ever happen. :(

I cant help but wonder does it still affect you or are you able to control those emotions? Joe I hope you make the right decision in there. keep a level head mate.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
That has to be hard, it's obviously a pretty high profile case, and yet you have refrained from reading the news about it, I presume. I would have to read about it myself I tink.

Squiggy

ThunderDick
Haven't looked at a newspaper in months and I don't even watch the local news anymore...i've no idea whats happening around here....:D

Inkara1

I'm the kind of guy who will always subscribe to the local newspaper, no matter what I think of the quality of the news or of the people that run it. I like to know what's going on, and luckily I can sift through the editorializing in hard news stories.

freako104

you can always get better news than local sometimes. the Post NY times, Tribune and others are some of the best from what I have been told. If your on the jury dont they try to tell you not to check the news for whatever the trial is for?

Inkara1

The NY Times is one of the worst offenders of the crime of letting opinions show up in places besides the opinion page.

freako104

well all forms of the media would but NY times is worse? but they all do(tho some try to keep it as objective as possible)

greenfreak

Inkara1 said:
The NY Times is one of the worst offenders of the crime of letting opinions show up in places besides the opinion page.

Totally agree, along with their two scandals last year, they are no longer well respected. And the NY Post is barely above tabloid level, it's so horrible. It's always been one of those sensationalized papers, very little respect. But people like it.

For NY news, you need the Daily News or Newsday. And business stuff is the Wall Street Journal.

And I don't read any of it on a regular basis nor do I watch the news. I go to online sources every once in a while and skip to the Science and Technology sections. :)

Squiggy

ThunderDick
*bump*

This is really proving to be quite interesting. Now that its actually begun, i'm rivetted to every word....Almost have the gang sold on the Duck Billed Platypus game but two of them are holding out...Sure hope they learn whos boss before deliberations...:eek6:

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
All 15 sit and listen right? But at the end only the 12 sitting on the jury (be it the original 12 or some of them and some alternates because some originals had to go) get to decide, ruight?