Crap!! U.S. life span shorter

Cerise

The US health care system is killing people!

:retard3:

http://health.yahoo.com/news/178301

Americans are living longer than ever, but not as long as people in 41 other countries.

"Something's wrong here when one of the richest countries in the world, the one that spends the most on health care, is not able to keep up with other countries," said Dr. Christopher Murray, head of the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation at the University of Washington.... "The starting point is the recognition that the U.S. does not have the best health care system. There are still an awful lot of people who think it does."

Seems nutrition and lifestyle would play a bigger part. The best healthcare system in the world is completely useless if a person refuses to eat right and exercise.

To take life expectancy statistics and assume that they are an index of the quality of a country's health care system is absurd.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Get a job & pay for your healthcare. While you're at it, play for your food, shelter, utilities, transportation & entertainment. That's why you work. IF Swedne or Cuba or whoever provides better care (snicker) then, pay for your air ticket too.

you, as in the genreal sense, not a specific individual

Cerise

Well isn't it just special that you and yours can afford healthcare.

:shrug:

It would be special if I had it, but I guess I'm special because I've made it through half my life without it---and could've really used it only once.

However, I've heard HSA's can be very special.

Cerise

:idea:

Barring medical emergencies or hereditary illness---people are responsible for their own state of health---through nutrition, exercise, and making the right choices.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Fine, but how does that justify poor public healthcare?

It doesn't exist, on a large scale. Typically, the poorest healthcare is in the poorest neighborhoods...where they get their care for free. You get what you pay for.

unclehobart

Fine, but how does that justify poor public healthcare?
healthcare is a business, not a right. The care levels fall hand in hand with the income levels... not because the doctors desire to do less... but the collective business that now controls the rationing of services are willing to let the 10% die off rather than spend the extra 300% in cash to deal with them properly. Strangely enough, the poorest of people actually get above average health care because there are 100's of organizations willing to fall over themselves in charity and piety to descend upon said same poor to take care of them: Red Cross, churches, Doctors Without Borders, Peace Corps, doctors working free sundays... etc. Its low middle class that gets the shaft.

catocom

yep, what unc said.
And it a hell of a gap to try to jump, to get back to the middle, and the 'middle'
is fading fast.
So, the gap will get bigger, unless this Nation, gets back to some Old School,
in some areas.

The idea of working your way Up, to make a decent place for yourself is
more difficult now than it has been, since I can remember.

2minkey

bootlicker
:idea:

Barring medical emergencies or hereditary illness---people are responsible for their own state of health---through nutrition, exercise, and making the right choices.

now now enough of that 'personal choice' crap... remember, it's always someone else's fault.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
healthcare is a business, not a right. The care levels fall hand in hand with the income levels... not because the doctors desire to do less... but the collective business that now controls the rationing of services are willing to let the 10% die off rather than spend the extra 300% in cash to deal with them properly. Strangely enough, the poorest of people actually get above average health care because there are 100's of organizations willing to fall over themselves in charity and piety to descend upon said same poor to take care of them: Red Cross, churches, Doctors Without Borders, Peace Corps, doctors working free sundays... etc. Its low middle class that gets the shaft.

Well, it certainly has become a business, and a very lucrative one. IMO, public healthcare should be provided by the government and only given to those who are paying their healthcare fees.

Under any circumstances, healthcare provided, whether it is public or private, should be of the best quality possible. Lives depends on it and it should not be taken lightly or as just business.

markjs

Banned
Well, it certainly has become a business, and a very lucrative one. IMO, public healthcare should be provided by the government and only given to those who are paying their healthcare fees.

Under any circumstances, healthcare provided, whether it is public or private, should be of the best quality possible. Lives depends on it and it should not be taken lightly or as just business.

To a lot of conservatives in this country the poor should just be turned away into the street because we all know profit is the bottom line. If you can't afford it you simply don't deserve it. You are a peasant, part of the huddled masses, and exist only to slave away for the upper class ay whatever wage they set. Obviously I don't agree with that but that's because I am a dangerous liberal wingnut. :finger:

Professur

If you can't afford it you simply don't deserve it. You are a peasant, part of the huddled masses, and exist only to slave away for the upper class ay whatever wage they set. Obviously I don't agree with that but that's because I am a dangerous liberal wingnut. :finger:

Deserve. Interesting word that. All kinds of implications attached to it. I prefer to address whether they've earned it or not.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
You know...the best way to be healthy is to stay away from unhealthy things...such as McDonalds, Burger King, Wendy's, Taco Bell, etc, etc, etc. It also helps to get off your butt and exercise. Walk those two blocks instead of driving. If you live close to work, use a bicycle instead of the bus. Regardless of what some liberal nutjobs think, most folks are unhealthy because they choose to be unhealthy. If you smoke, and you started smoking after the warnings appeared on the package, don't cry when you have lung cancer, and blame it on the tobacco advertising. If you're overweight, and only eat at McDonalds, then don't blame McDonalds when you can't walk more than 50 yards without having to stop to catch your breath. If you have unprotected sex with anything "human with a heartbeat between the ages of 18 and 80" as often as possible, don't blame society for your STD. The only person at fault for your bad choices is...drumroll...you.

unclehobart

The government providing healthcare as an alternative along with traditional business healthcare?... or the government overtaking all healthcare?

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
IMO, public healthcare should be provided by the government and only given to those who are paying their healthcare fees.

Government controlled anything is bloated, inconsistent, full of red tape & improperly managed.

Seeing how the VA handles its patients & how much waste there is, I'd assume operate on myself.

Private sector is better qualified & when the markety is allowed to operate properly, less expensive. Look at skyrocketing malpractice insurance & the cost of running a business, plus insurance companies who are paying 20, 30, 40% of charges (if that) & you start to see that medicine is not th emoney making venture it once was (save sports medicine)

To a lot of conservatives in this country the poor should just be turned away into the street because we all know profit is the bottom line.

It there is no profit, there is no incentive. With no incentive there is no reason to waste 8-12 years of your life. With no profit, the best go on to bigger & better things leaving the average & below average to provide your free healthcare. With no profit, the pharmaceuticals have no reason to spend tens or hundreds of millions of dollars to research & develop new medicines. With no profit, most hospitals look like any & all county hospitalks in the country, overpopulated with patients & underpopulated with professionals.

Take your pick...socialized medicine with up to a 3 year wait for a heart bypass or private sector for profit where you can get in next week.