Gas Prices - how are they where you are?

MrBishop

Professur said:
No. the problem is the sheep, who'll shrug their shoulders and moan, "What can we do?"

do you see anyone protesting against it? Any picket lines around service stations? Fire bombings? Tanker hijacks? Dead futures traders? Oil baron's scantily clad daughters taken hostage?

Neither do I.
Prof as terrorist.

/me steps away from the future 'target of opportunity'

*I'd call for nationalizing our oil and getting some damn processing plants in our own damn country instead of exporting all our oil to the USA and then buying it back in teh form of gas.*

Professur

MrBishop said:
*I'd call for nationalizing our oil and getting some damn processing plants in our own damn country instead of exporting all our oil to the USA and then buying it back in teh form of gas.*

ROFLPIP. Oh, yeah, that'll do it. Great idea. Take the oil out of the oil companies hands. Give it to the gov't, who'll then sell it back to those oil companies. Beyond great. They get two shots at taking profits from it then.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Professur said:
And that's right where they want you. Mum and I were discussing that yesterday, coming down from the cottage. At a station in Lachute gas was 1.319/l and they were lined up around the block. Then on island, it was 1.399, and the shore was 1.349.

As we drove past the 1.349 she said, "well, that's not so bad." It's the fucking Helsinki symdrome.
PT said:
I really do have to wonder if at least a part of all this is to just condition us. I wondered it back when the price made it to 2. You know, a couple months ago. Now 2 is looking pretty damn good, and I know the oil companies know that now too. I doubt we will ever see gas below $2 a gallon again, no matter how many refineries they build.
chcr said:
Welcome to my paranoid little world.
Welcome!!

MrBishop

Professur said:
ROFLPIP. Oh, yeah, that'll do it. Great idea. Take the oil out of the oil companies hands. Give it to the gov't, who'll then sell it back to those oil companies. Beyond great. They get two shots at taking profits from it then.
Think Hydro Quebec and Hydro Ontario. Cheapest electricity in all of the Americas. I'd rather the profits go into the tax bin than into the pockets of major oil producers CEOs pockets

Professur

MrBishop said:
Think Hydro Quebec and Hydro Ontario. Cheapest electricity in all of the Americas. I'd rather the profits go into the tax bin than into the pockets of major oil producers CEOs pockets

Perhaps you didn't notice, but we're not exactly getting a tax break as is. Your plan is gonna keep those CEOs pockets just as full. And add just a little more to the politicians.

Oh, and HQ has requested yet another 3% rise. That's 4 in 2 years, since you're obviously not keeping track.

And Hydro Ontario was up for sale, last time I listened to an Ottawa radio station.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Professur said:
Perhaps you didn't notice, but we're not exactly getting a tax break as is. Your plan is gonna keep those CEOs pockets just as full. And add just a little more to the politicians.

Oh, and HQ has requested yet another 3% rise. That's 4 in 2 years, since you're obviously not keeping track.

And Hydro Ontario was up for sale, last time I listened to an Ottawa radio station.

I think our hydro is privatized now...I THINK...Hydro One it's called that serves Brampton...

MrBishop

Professur said:

Still the cheapest electricity in N.A.

but what's your suggestion on how Canada can get out of this gas-price mess?

Professur

The most effective way would be to scare the oil industry back into line. Take 100% of oil sales taxes, and run it straight into developing alternate power. Be it for cars, houses, flight, etc. Put them over the same barrel we're over. Make it so that they either toe the line, or put themselves outta business.

Alternately, blow up a few higer priced gas stations anonymously. But so long as people are willing to wring their hands and moan instead of refusing to pay .... the oil companies are just gonna sit and laugh. And you might want to think about Petro-Canada for a while. I haven't noticed their price being any lower than anyone elses, have you?

Professur

MrBishop said:
Still the cheapest electricity in N.A.

Well, considering that they're using mostly hydro generation, which has a nearly zero consumable rate ... I'd hope so. But then, how much are they paying for that water they're using? If they had to pay by the gallon for the water that passes over their turbines, they'd be much more comparable to others.

MrBishop

Professur said:
The most effective way would be to scare the oil industry back into line. Take 100% of oil sales taxes, and run it straight into developing alternate power. Be it for cars, houses, flight, etc. Put them over the same barrel we're over. Make it so that they either toe the line, or put themselves outta business.

Alternately, blow up a few higer priced gas stations anonymously. But so long as people are willing to wring their hands and moan instead of refusing to pay .... the oil companies are just gonna sit and laugh. And you might want to think about Petro-Canada for a while. I haven't noticed their price being any lower than anyone elses, have you?
Part of that is already being done. Petrocan still sells their oil to the USA and then buys the gas back. If petrocan made an effort at creating a processing plant and keeping their oil to themselves...we might see a difference. Then again, that'd be going against the free-trade agreement.

OPEC is one seriously powerful group...and they could always just stop dealing with Canada first...sell their oil to China and India where they're sure that it'll be appreciated. Canada would just be one of many nations trying to find the grail that is viable alternative power for cars etc. Face it...we're small beans and unless the USA does the same as us, we're harldy likely to make even a small ripple in OPECs bottom line. Pulling ourselves out of their monopoly, on the other hand, seems to be a more viable option...plus we control the timeline.

As for blowing up a few gas-stations. After you. You can reserve the top bunk for me once you're inside. ;)

Professur

Actually, Canada has power similar to the NDP in parliment. Swing power.

Plus, the reserves of untapped oil Canada has is enough to make any arab pale. They don't have the density of product the arabs do, but they've got volume. Second largest country in the world, remember? And Canada's totally self sufficient at that level. They could pull out any time they wanted. But then they couldn't sell the over to the US. Do you think Canada pulling 10% of US supplies off the market might influence them? Do you think OPEC could increase supply enough to cope with that? They don't have enough to make policy. But they've got enough to make those who do make policy do what they're told.

And that is why nationalising canadian oil will never happen.

MrBishop

Professur said:
Actually, Canada has power similar to the NDP in parliment. Swing power.

Plus, the reserves of untapped oil Canada has is enough to make any arab pale. They don't have the density of product the arabs do, but they've got volume. Second largest country in the world, remember? And Canada's totally self sufficient at that level. They could pull out any time they wanted. But then they couldn't sell the over to the US. Do you think Canada pulling 10% of US supplies off the market might influence them? Do you think OPEC could increase supply enough to cope with that? They don't have enough to make policy. But they've got enough to make those who do make policy do what they're told.

And that is why nationalising canadian oil will never happen.
Oh, we got oil coming out of our ying-yangs, but it's tough getting it out and we don't process our own.

We don't contribute 10%... closer to 5% and that's including what we buy back. If we remove that from the equation, it's closer to 2%. They still wouldn't like us doing it but...With Iraq starting to put out oil again for profit instead of the oil-for-food...they can easily replace our output (3.1mbpd). An extra 1.57mbpd to a grand total of 47mbpd and growing as the infrastructure comes back online.

Oh, don't get me wrong. We'd get stomped like a bug if we pulled all of our oil from export... but if we don't start controlling our own crude, we might as well hand over our wallets and a bunch of blank CQs to OPEC.

In the meanwhile, I've driving over the border to fill up when I can.

MrBishop

As for why Nationalizing our oil wouldn't work... that's mostly 'cause we got pussies for political leaders.

nalani

I was actually going to talk about our state's dumb-ass gas cap and massively rising gas costs and the fact that for the first time in *years* we do not have the highest, or second highest, average cost for gasoline in the nation.

Unfortunately, since the last posts in this thread are between the infamous pair and I'm not quite sure how calm (or not) the tone is, I'm afraid of getting caught in a war-on-words. :D ... so I will just say on Sunday we were paying 2.98/gal .. on Tues we were paying 3.15/gal ... today 3.18/gal ... doesn't feel like they're capping anything but our ability to drive to work.

MrBishop

nalani said:
Unfortunately, since the last posts in this thread are between the infamous pair and I'm not quite sure how calm (or not) the tone is, I'm afraid of getting caught in a war-on-words. :D ... .
Seems calm enough... go to the 'smoking section' for the venom. :)

Stop Laughing

Going down pretty fast, I saw our local station (the one that was $3.19 earlier this week) go all the way down to $3.07 at noon when I got lunch, and just 5 hours later when I left work they dropped it another 2 cents to $3.05. How much more will it slide...

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Stop Laughing said:
Going down pretty fast, I saw our local station (the one that was $3.19 earlier this week) go all the way down to $3.07 at noon when I got lunch, and just 5 hours later when I left work they dropped it another 2 cents to $3.05. How much more will it slide...

Bait and switch...:evilgrin: