Gas Prices - how are they where you are?

Inkara1

Gas stations have had "pay at the pump" machiens that take both credit and ATM cards for a long time.

Now, I've got a more interesting place for an ATM. I was at Atascadero High School today to get some sports shots. My editor told me to get a mug shot of the principal while I was there (she wasn't in at the time so I couldn't, it turns out) so when I went to the office, I passed by the counseling desk and there sat an ATM. Of the $1 surcharge, 50¢ goes to the associated students and the other 50¢ goes to the athletic department.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
We're sitting at/around $2.699. The radio idiots have begun the "If you think we're paying too much, look at Europe" mantra. I don't care what Spaniards are paying for petrol, I'm not driving in Zaragoza

However, as much as I dislike the prices we are paying I notice one thing that makes me realize it's not too much. People are still buying gas guzzlers like they're going out of style. The highways & byways are still packed, more people on the road than I can ever remember. A Dodge Hemi pickup flying by at 80MPH+ means gas prices are still acceptable.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
One local TV newscast last night sent out word that gas prices would go from $2.49 to $2.69 overnight last night.

They didn't.

Think someone at the TV station owns a gas station too.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
They jumped, this week, at many places across the US (some to over $3.149) so they were expecting ya'll to follow suit?

Professur

Buck-a-litre fuel only boosting interest in already popular Smart car

By STEVE MERTL

The fuel-sipping, diesel-engined Smart is getting more attention with pump prices pushing through the $1-a-litre barrier. (CP PHOTO/ho-Dean Husby)
VANCOUVER (CP) - As fuel prices break the buck-a-litre barrier across Canada, buyers of those cute little Smart cars are looking, well, smart.

"I laugh at my friends who have trucks who pay $100 at the gas station," says Alexandra Carstens of Vancouver. "For me it's about $18 to $20 dollars and that will take me all the way to Kamloops."

But even before pump prices passed the $1 psychological threshold, Smart car dealers were selling out of the tiny two-seat runabouts, which resemble oversized athletic shoes on wheels.

"The Smart has been exceptionally successful," says auto industry analyst Dennis DesRosiers. "For the type of vehicle it is, it's really struck a chord in Canada."

Smart, a unit of automotive giant DaimlerChrysler, was launched in Canada last fall after six years in the European marketplace.

Sales of 2,390 cars as of July seem small in Canada's 1.5-million annual auto sales but DesRosiers says Smart has outsold a host of mainstream models, including BMW and Mercedes SUVs, Cadillac, Suzuki and Mini Cooper.

"Gas prices I think are part of it but equally important if not more important is the fact that it is a vehicle you could differentiate yourself with," he says. "The Smart car does that better than virtually any other vehicle in the marketplace."

Smart marketing director JoAnne Caza says the car - offered in hardtop and convertible models - has outperformed projections.

"We were very conservative with our numbers from the beginning and the consumer demand just was there," she says. "Some dealerships are still sold out."

Smarts, which start at about $16,700 and top out around $23,000, are sold in 46 out of Canada's 55 Mercedes-Benz dealerships, helped in part by customer word-of-mouth.

"They're very happy with their purchase and they're telling everybody how much of a miser the vehicle is in terms of fuel consumption," says Caza.

The Smart gets by with an 800-cubic-centimetre, three-cylinder turbo diesel motor producing 41 horsepower, helped by the fact it weighs only 730 kilograms, compared with 1,280 kg for the diminutive, 108-hp Toyota Echo.

Carstens and her husband are averaging 4.4 litres per 100 kilometres in fuel economy - about 60 miles per gallon - close Smart's advertised 4.2 l/100 km average. The Echo's city/highway mileage ratings are 6.7 and 5.2 l/100 km respectively.

The Smart's small - 2.5-metre - footprint has prompted Vancouver to offer drivers cheaper parking at city-owned lots. The city of Duncan, on Vancouver Island, has created special micro-car parking spots that allow Smarts nose-in curb parking.

The Smart appears to resonate even in oil-rich Alberta.

"We sell on average 15 to 16 a month," says Mike Edgar, managing partner of Hyatt Mercedes-Benz in Calgary.

"It's amazing to me," said Edgar, who viewed Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal as Smart's natural habitat. "I missed the mark. I can't believe how well the car has been received."

Carstens and her husband Dean Husby, both of them are business consultants, ordered their Smart last December after a client suggested it.

"The test drive was all we really needed," says Carstens. "We went back to the dealership, put our money down and began the excruciating six-month wait."

The car is a conversation starter, to say the least.

"I had one woman almost hurl herself in front of my car to stop so she could ask me questions about it," says Carstens.

The couple has since helped start a Smart car club, which recently took a trip to Seattle.

"There you get completely mobbed," says Carstens, who says Smart's highway performance belies its urban runabout image. "You can't go anywhere without being stopped.

"There biggest reaction is I wish we could get them here."

Caza says Smart Canada gets 10 to 15 calls and e-mails a week from Americans. But DaimlerChrysler has no plans to sell the French-built car in the United States.

The Smart's Canadian success and it's absence from the U.S. market is more evidence of how drivers in the two countries have taken different forks in the road, says DesRosiers.

The entry-level auto segment - from subcompacts like the Smart to cars like the Toyota Corolla - make up 40 per cent of the Canadian market and growing.

"In America it's 22 per cent and declining," says DesRosiers.

The large luxury-sports segment - which includes the biggest SUVs - make up about 10 per cent of Canadian sales, compared with 27 per cent in the United States.

Canadians bought just over 10,000 large SUVs last year, while Americans bought one million.

Source

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
My renault has a current average of 7.8l per 100km (2 gallons per 60miles), not bad considering that I turn on the AC often. City consuption exclusively is around 10l (2.64 gallons) per 100km, on the road is 6l (1.58 gallons) per 100km (doing 120-140km/h for the most part).

The tank gets filled with around USD$17.

HomeLAN

I called that one. On Sunday, with Katrina coming in, I predicted a 20 cent rise between yesterday and the day before, and that's exactly what it did. Then last night - just overnight - it jumped another 20. Unc just called me to say that they were jacking it another 10 cents as he was filling up - we now have over $3 a gallon in Atlanta.

Get ready for emptier wallets.

Professur

They hopped us from $1.074/l to 1.159/l last night. But a reporter on the radio was saying she'd heard from a tanker driver, who's manifest showed the fuel priced at 1.240/l. I'm loading gascans.

Uki Chick

Professur said:
They hopped us from $1.074/l to 1.159/l last night. But a reporter on the radio was saying she'd heard from a tanker driver, who's manifest showed the fuel priced at 1.240/l. I'm loading gascans.

Here in Ville St-Laurent it's up now at 1.35/l and I've heard some places are up at 1.42/l

This is getting stupid.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Another added bonus, in addition to a 27 cent price jump in the last three days, is that about half the stations here are (at least claiming to be) running out of gas, period. Three coworkers in the last hour have gone to get gas at $2.799/gal, at a store I bought gas at yesterday morning for $2.499/gal, and are reporting thirty minute waits just to get to the pump. One chain of stores in this region is completely out at every location.

Conclusion: SnP laces up them hiking boots.

Uki Chick

Professur said:
Have you sent that email to everyone here?

No I haven't, but here it is.

IT HAS BEEN CALCULATED THAT IF EVERYONE IN THE UNITED STATES AND CANADA DID NOT PURCHASE A DROP OF GASOLINE FOR ONE DAY AND ALL AT THE SAME TIME, THE OIL COMPANIES WOULD CHOKE ON THEIR STOCKPILES.

AT THE SAME TIME IT WOULD HIT THE ENTIRE INDUSTRY WITH A NET LOSS OF OVER 4.6 BILLION DOLLARS WHICH AFFECTS THE BOTTOM LINES OF THE OIL COMPANIES.

THEREFORE SEPTEMBER 1st HAS BEEN FORMALLY DECLARED "STICK IT UP THEIR BEHIND " DAY AND THE PEOPLE OF THESE TWO NATIONS SHOULD NOT BUY A SINGLE DROP OF GASOLINE THAT DAY.

THE ONLY WAY THIS CAN BE DONE IS IF YOU FORWARD THIS E-MAIL TO AS MANY PEOPLE AS YOU CAN AND AS QUICKLY AS YOU CAN TO GET THE WORD OUT.

WAITING ON THE GOVERNMENT TO STEP IN AND CONTROL THE PRICES IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. WHAT HAPPENED TO THE REDUCTION AND CONTROL IN PRICES THAT THE ARAB NATIONS PROMISED TWO WEEKS AGO?

REMEMBER ONE THING, NOT ONLY IS THE PRICE OF GASOLINE GOING UP BUT AT THE

SAME TIME AIRLINES ARE FORCED TO RAISE THEIR PRICES, TRUCKING COMPANIES ARE FORCED TO RAISE THEIR PRICES WHICH EFFECTS PRICES ON EVERYTHING THAT IS SHIPPED. THINGS LIKE FOOD, CLOTHING, BUILDING MATERIALS, MEDICAL SUPPLIES ETC. WHO PAYS IN THE END? WE DO!

WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE. IF THEY DON'T GET THE MESSAGE AFTER ONE DAY, WE WILL DO IT

AGAIN AND AGAIN.

SO DO YOUR PART AND SPREAD THE WORD. FORWARD THIS EMAIL TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW. MARK YOUR CALENDARS AND MAKE SEPTEMBER 1ST A DAY THAT THE CITIZENS OF THE UNITED STATES AND CANADA SAY "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH"

unclehobart

I filled up my gascan juuuust in case. Even if there is plenty of fuel, the panic of everyone topping off and filling cans is going to cause the shortfall to happen. I paid an extra .04/gal just to be able to pull right up to a pump and not be stuck 4 deep back in line.

Its about to get ugly.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
If I had a dollar for every "don't buy gas on a certain day, that'll fix everything" email I've seen....I could fill up my tank.

unclehobart

Uki Chick said:
No I haven't, but here it is.

IT HAS BEEN CALCULATED THAT IF EVERYONE IN THE UNITED STATES AND CANADA DID NOT PURCHASE A DROP OF GASOLINE FOR ONE DAY AND ALL AT THE SAME TIME, THE OIL COMPANIES WOULD CHOKE ON THEIR STOCKPILES.

AT THE SAME TIME IT WOULD HIT THE ENTIRE INDUSTRY WITH A NET LOSS OF OVER 4.6 BILLION DOLLARS WHICH AFFECTS THE BOTTOM LINES OF THE OIL COMPANIES.

THEREFORE SEPTEMBER 1st HAS BEEN FORMALLY DECLARED "STICK IT UP THEIR BEHIND " DAY AND THE PEOPLE OF THESE TWO NATIONS SHOULD NOT BUY A SINGLE DROP OF GASOLINE THAT DAY.

THE ONLY WAY THIS CAN BE DONE IS IF YOU FORWARD THIS E-MAIL TO AS MANY PEOPLE AS YOU CAN AND AS QUICKLY AS YOU CAN TO GET THE WORD OUT.

WAITING ON THE GOVERNMENT TO STEP IN AND CONTROL THE PRICES IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. WHAT HAPPENED TO THE REDUCTION AND CONTROL IN PRICES THAT THE ARAB NATIONS PROMISED TWO WEEKS AGO?

REMEMBER ONE THING, NOT ONLY IS THE PRICE OF GASOLINE GOING UP BUT AT THE

SAME TIME AIRLINES ARE FORCED TO RAISE THEIR PRICES, TRUCKING COMPANIES ARE FORCED TO RAISE THEIR PRICES WHICH EFFECTS PRICES ON EVERYTHING THAT IS SHIPPED. THINGS LIKE FOOD, CLOTHING, BUILDING MATERIALS, MEDICAL SUPPLIES ETC. WHO PAYS IN THE END? WE DO!

WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE. IF THEY DON'T GET THE MESSAGE AFTER ONE DAY, WE WILL DO IT

AGAIN AND AGAIN.

SO DO YOUR PART AND SPREAD THE WORD. FORWARD THIS EMAIL TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW. MARK YOUR CALENDARS AND MAKE SEPTEMBER 1ST A DAY THAT THE CITIZENS OF THE UNITED STATES AND CANADA SAY "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH"
Good luck getting the military, local and state governments, and school buses to not buy fuel for a day. It sounds like a ruse anyway since everyone would be buying double fuel the day after and the costs to the oil companies would be negligible.

K62

Professur said:

Lucky guy. It jumped to $1.19/L today :(

I will need to pick up a new (to me) car in about a month or so, and I am not looking forward to it :crying4: