Hair

unclehobart

This is pretty much a brainstorming question for those of us with long hair. My hair ends up all over the place from day to day. Some days it cooperates, other days it is flat, other days it kinks and cowlicks and nettles up. I'm not doing anything of great variation. Soap twice, conditioner, sometimes a little leave in mist stuff on really dry days that is supposedly a detangler ... feh. My hair knots and clumps along the last 6 inches every single damn day. I don't know how it happens... it just does. What do you use insofar as products? scrub every day? every other day? conditioner each time or only when needed?

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
The ends thing, they need a trim - that's split ends. Cut that last 6 inches off and start over.

Switch products sometimes, like use a real harsh cheap one once every two weeks to clean things up. The flat is from buildup of product gunk, I do every day as a rule, conditioner every time (NOT a 2 in one, that's a load of crap). I like Pantene myself...

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
It's the curse of long hair it seems. I wash & condition mine every couple of days, detanglers don't seem to help. Live with it or cut it. :shrug:

unclehobart

Leslie said:
The ends thing, they need a trim - that's split ends. Cut that last 6 inches off and start over.

Switch products sometimes, like use a real harsh cheap one once every two weeks to clean things up. The flat is from buildup of product gunk, I do every day as a rule, conditioner every time (NOT a 2 in one, that's a load of crap). I like Pantene myself...
I've just had a cut about 6 weeks ago to the tune of about 2 inches. It was inspected well over and declared to be really healthy hair. I don't think cutting it again will do any good other than just making the hair no longer there to knot up.

I've talked with a few friends and some swarthy blue collar types in their mid 40s who've had long hair all their life. A common thing that they tell me is that the mere act of looking left and right makes the hair tumble and roll over itself over and over again. Leaning back in a chair or a car seat traps the hair and presses it together and makes knotting almost inevitible. They all have gotten into the habit of using multiple hair ties. They knot their hair down every 4 inches or so, removing any chance of 'roll knotting'. I would have to use three ties on a daily basis ... which I don't mind other than the extra time involved. It also kills the volume, making it almost look like I don't have long hair at all. Long hair is annoying at times.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
In the process of growing mine long again, no court dates coming up anytime soon, so I shouldn't have to cut it this time. When I had long hair before, I always used Paul Mitchell products, they clean all the build up out good, and have great conditioners. And yes, as much as cutting hurts, at least have the ends trimmed occasionaly, it will help.

unclehobart

I have to resort to this most of the time. It always ends up tugging somewhere at somepoint. I have to unravel the whole damn thing to relieve the pinch. Very annoying.

Attachment(s):

dashaar.jpg, 79.18kb

11_1032531648.jpg

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Fearsome, no. Sexy, hmmm. Wait for LL to make that call.

Goofy? just a tad, but no more than a person should.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
You & I seem to have the same syndrome. Long hair, over-aged & over fed. About the hair-nothing to do with it but a pony tail-what a waste. ;)

Psycho

I think I'm going to let my hair just hang around a bit when it's at that point, the pony tail might be useful sometimes, but not the whole time...

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
when i had long hair i used shampoo daily, and conditioner once per week.

i used to leave the condition for as long as i was taking a shower, then wash it with shampoo.

on extreme cases (like when you came home after one week in the beach) i used the same method but on alternate days.

btw, shampoo = only shampoo, not those 2 in 1 stuff.

greenfreak

Even though my hair isn't that long anymore, since it's so thick, I get the same thing.

I shampoo with Treseme daily, and Neutrogena T Gel once a week (controls dandruff in dry weather), conditioner for two-three minutes, then after shower, I spray Infusium 23 leave in conditioner, work it through, put a towel around my head and leave the towel on for a 1/2 hour. Then brush and pull it back with a scrunchie.

I find if I do all the above but don't leave it in a towel, don't brush it and let it dry, that it comes out very frizzy and tangly no matter how much conditioner I use. If I want to leave it down, I brush it continually as it dries. I don't blow dry anymore unless it's an emergency. :)