Hate when that happens

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
from tonguetied.us

San Fran's resident atheist muckracker Michael Newdow has a new target in his campaign to remove all vestiges of the almighty from public view -- the phrase "In God we Trust" on American coins and currency, reports Fox News.

Newdow has filed a lawsuit in federal court claiming that the language violates the rights of atheists.

"I'm a minister of the First Amendmist Church of True Science and I can't raise funds or anything else because all the coins say that we believe in God, and that's completely against our principals," he said.

"In God We Trust" is America's official motto, first appearing on a two-cent coin in 1864. In 1955, Congress mandated that the phrase appear on all paper money.

**end**

So. The athiest shit stirrer who tried to get "under God" removed from the pledge is all atwitter because "in God We Trust" interferes with his fundraising.

Good.

Maybe he'll go away now. I'll buy the one way plane ticket. With money.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I wish somebody would tell him the other part.

(all others pay cash) ;)

chcr

Too cute for words
Gonz said:
I wish somebody would tell him the other part.

(all others pay cash) ;)
But, it's the cash that says... Oh, never mind. ;)

Re the pledge, it wasn't there originally, it was added in the fifties. Take it back out, IMO. Never happen though. The non-existant christian theocracy won't let it.

Professur

Would you rather have "in the President, we trust"? Perhaps, "In the Federal Reserve, we trust"?

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
In the Federal Reserve, we trust...has a certain ring to it.

Now that Alan Greenspan is gone, maybe not.

chcr

Too cute for words
Professur said:
Would you rather have "in the President, we trust"? Perhaps, "In the Federal Reserve, we trust"?

In all honesty, I trust in either one of those more than the other. :shrug:

My real question is: Does this guy want people to stop paying him since the money offends him so much.

chcr

Too cute for words
Gato_Solo said:
The history of the phrase "In God We Trust" is much older than the 1950's. Just FYI...;)

Quite so. "Under god" in the pledge was added in the 50s. I really couldn't care less either way, but my personal opinion is that "In God We Trust' has always been on the money (hasn't it?) so leave it alone. "Under God" was added to the pledge for a bad reason (Joe McCarthy) and we should put it back the way it was.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
chcr said:
Quite so. "Under god" in the pledge was added in the 50s. I really couldn't care less either way, but my personal opinion is that "In God We Trust' has always been on the money (hasn't it?) so leave it alone. "Under God" was added to the pledge for a bad reason (Joe McCarthy) and we should put it back the way it was.

One question that I always ask in just these types of situations...

If you don't believe in God, then how could you be offended?

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Gato_Solo said:

Always wondered that too, although I suppose uttering it does by definition place some credence in the notion.

I no longer say the pledge anyway. Personal reasons. I read the history of its authorship, and stopped that same day.

Gato_Solo

SouthernN'Proud said:
Always wondered that too, although I suppose uttering it does by definition place some credence in the notion.

I no longer say the pledge anyway. Personal reasons. I read the history of its authorship, and stopped that same day.

I ain't talking the pledge in particular. I'm talking any reference to God, period.

chcr

Too cute for words
Gato_Solo said:

I'm not. I'm simply tired of listening to all the whiners on both sides. Simple answer, leave it on the money because it has always been there and remove it from the pledge because it hasn't. Same logic applies to both. Nobody really wins, nobody really loses. Of course, nobody will go for it either. :rolleyes:

The only thing about religion that offends me is when someone tries to either shove it down my throat or argue that theirs is more valid than anyone else's. Of course you think yours is more valid, Why wouldn't you? You don't have to tell me about it. (note that i'm using the figurative you rather than the personal)

Gato_Solo

chcr said:
I'm not. I'm simply tired of listening to all the whiners on both sides. Simple answer, leave it on the money because it has always been there and remove it from the pledge because it hasn't. Same logic applies to both. Nobody really wins, nobody really loses. Of course, nobody will go for it either. :rolleyes:

The only thing about religion that offends me is when someone tries to either shove it down my throat or argue that theirs is more valid than anyone else's. Of course you think yours is more valid, Why wouldn't you? You don't have to tell me about it. (note that i'm using the figurative you rather than the personal)

Of course you realize I was using the figurative you as well...

freako104

The money has always had it, it should be allowed to stay. Also it should be noted that there is a Pagan symbol on the back of a one dollar bill. Strange how little people complain about that one

flavio

Banned
freako104 said:
Also it should be noted that there is a Pagan symbol on the back of a one dollar bill. Strange how little people complain about that one
Seems to be some evidence the "God" in "In God We Trust" was meant to be a pagan one as well. Let this cat out of the bag and it will be the religous right demanding both be removed.