How to Raise Racist Kids

ResearchMonkey

And that's why I love smart folks.

1268067655846.png

trufax

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
I had heard about this and it actually makes sense to me. If you don't address the differences or make them taboo to discuss then kids are going to get the wrong idea about these differences.

When I first read the article it struck me, but then it started to make sense. In order to be able to be colour blind you need to have been not-colour blind (which might be our nature) and made up your mind about the differences.

I'm still having an internal debate on the next one:
The more diverse a school is, the less likely it is that kids will form cross-race friendships.

It could be because the differences were never addressed when the kids were younger and they have a sense of belonging to something by having friends with their own race.

It also could be something more primitive like an instinct to form tribes with your own race.

And it could also be something learned from other racist people. :shrug:

catocom

to me it seems issues of race have a lot to do with 'pride' in many cases.

race relations are a lot easier if one humbles ones self imo.

It's always good to keep some sense of humility, I think.

2minkey

bootlicker
hmmmm. or false pride. (or is there any other kind, really?)

seems to me the first folks to get all excited about race in a negative sense are the ones that are the most insecure about their own positions.

"nigger" always seems to be first spoke by the angry, unemployed loser white guy... somebody desperate for any marker to help deny his status at the bottom.

and in a broader sense, the folks that get most upset about immigrants tend to be those most vulnerable economically, who may have to compete with immigrants for unskilled jobs.

catocom

on the issue of pride, I think there's good pride and bad pride, just as with all emotion.

on the latter comments I'd have to say it sounds like a misperception, that
imo it's about 50/50.:shrug:
Maybe it's partially a regional thing on that.

ResearchMonkey

How about interpersonal coping skills, the basics of human interaction taught at home. Oh yeah, we don't do that anymore, it's the states job to fix everything.

YEa! State!

catocom

well, at least the "King" does say he's a king.
I would say he's honest, but he did just rip-off that egg McMuffin thing.

They still make a good "fast-food" burger though.