Hurricane Ivan

Mirlyn

Sharky said:
Some of us were sitting out on the lanai (it faces northeast, the wind never hit it) enjoying the show when the tornadoes started popping up in Panama City, Blountstown, Bonifay, and Marianna - basically all around us - and we could hear the roar very clearly. :dizzy: It was a little unnerving.
Pansy....:p

Glad to see you're back! :headbang:

HomeLAN

Hmm. GMA this morning showed a track that took the main storm through the midatlantic, out into the ocean, south and then east across FL in a big loop. That's what I'd thought had happened, but rrfield's site says it split up way back when.

Now I'm all confused.

HomeLAN

The AJC agrees with GMA. Is it possible that no track exists for its journey south because it had weakened past the point of Tropical Storm until it got back into the Gulf?

chcr

Too cute for words
HomeLAN said:
The AJC agrees with GMA. Is it possible that no track exists for its journey south because it had weakened past the point of Tropical Storm until it got back into the Gulf?

Did you watch the animated storm track? Your idea makes sense to me. :shrug: I understood it went into the Atlantic and then back south too.

Inkara1

That's how the AP story I saw in the paper two days ago explained it, too. Parts of Ivan had broken off and headed into the ocean, and strolled scross Florida and into the Gulf of Mexico. There, the pieces gathered some strength, enough to become a tropical depression and enough to be named. They debated for a while whether they should still call it Ivan or name it Matthew.

Sharky

Anybody wanna buy a boat? Cheap?

ivan-pensacola-fla09-2004-26284686c.jpg

Sharky

catocom said:
I can't afford the shipping. :D
:tomato:

It looks like FL can't catch a break. :confused:

Jeanne

"IT'S ALL BUSH'S FAULT!!!!!!!!"

According to a woman in Panama City who wrote a letter to the editor that was printed in Monday's News Herald (affectionately known to locals as the "Nude Harold", because they print the naked truth). :D

Her diatribe blamed President Bush for the succession of hurricanes ("THREE IN ONE MONTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"). She claimed that Bush has done nothing to stop global warming, which is causing more frequent and more severe storms, according to research which she did not cite. :rolleyes:

We should elect Kerry, because he will find a solution to end global warming, thereby eliminating hurricanes. :rolleyes:

Oh, puh-leeeeeeze.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
MoveOn has that as a major talking point. The sheep were led & eagerly followed.

Inkara1

There's a letter to the editor in my local paper today, where some woman says there will be no aid for Florida because all the money is going to Iraq. This woman must have no common sense at all. Do you really think Dubya would leave 20-something electoral votes high and dry (no pun intended)?

Sharky

Inkara1 said:
There's a letter to the editor in my local paper today, where some woman says there will be no aid for Florida because all the money is going to Iraq. This woman must have no common sense at all. Do you really think Dubya would leave 20-something electoral votes high and dry (no pun intended)?

She is seriously underestimating the depth of our government's pockets.

Washington County (where I reside) has been approved for FEMA Aid to Individuals. Line up and get yer checks, folks. Thank you, President Bush.

Sharky

A.B.Normal said:
http://search.earthcam.com/search.php?word=hurricane+jeanne

Some of these may be interesting tomorrow when Jeanne is expected to hit landfall,(unless of course they lose power )

The last few minutes of their functionality ought to be exciting. During the approach of Ivan, one of the weather data buoys south of Mobile reportedly recorded wave heights of 51 feet . . . right before it broke loose from it's mooring and washed ashore. :eek:

There's an extra element of danger with Jeanne:

NHC Advisory #46A

National Hurricane Center said:
WE ARE REMINDED THAT YOM KIPPUR...A SOLEMN JEWISH HOLIDAY...WILL LAST UNTIL SUNDOWN SATURDAY. SOME OF YOUR JEWISH NEIGHBORS IN THE WATCH AND WARNING AREAS OBSERVING YOM KIPPUR WILL NOT BE LISTENING TO RADIOS OR WATCHING TV...AND MAY NOT BE AWARE OF THE HURRICANE SITUATION.