I ate what?!?

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
So thanksgiving is over for us canucks.

I was helping prepare he turkey for good eating fun time tm and my wife pulls out the bag from the turkey, and uses it's contents to make a stuffing, now I have always seen this bag be thrown away, never used, I was a buit grossed out, a meat stuffing, but I ate it before and loved it.

But it led to a question, what else hav I been eating at your Ukrainian family things, all the food is called by the Uke names, and I never thought to ask, but now I asked, I wish I never did.....

One thing I REALLY liked turned out to be tongue is a jelly substance

another was head cheese

tripe

god, I feel ill

so what weird stuff have you eaten that you enjoyed?

Oz

paul_valaru said:
It's actually tasty, until you find out what you are eating

Erm, Paul......do ya wanna expand on actually what it is??

Cos the only head cheese I'm familiar with gets scrubbed off in the shower. :sick3:

unclehobart

Head cheese, also called souse and brawn, is a jellied loaf or sausage. Originally it was made entirely from the meaty parts of the head of a pig or calf, but now can include edible parts of the feet, tongue, and heart. The head is cleaned and simmered until the meat falls from the bones, and the liquid is a concentrated gelatinous broth. Strained, the meat is removed from the head, chopped, seasoned and returned to the broth and the whole placed in a mold and chilled until set, so it can be sliced.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
Oz said:

Cos the only head cheese I'm familiar with gets scrubbed off in the shower. :sick3:

OH GROSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this is not much better, but

Head cheese, also called souse and brawn, is a jellied loaf or sausage. Originally it was made entirely from the meaty parts of the head of a pig or calf, but now can include edible parts of the feet, tongue, and heart. The head is cleaned and simmered until the meat falls from the bones, and the liquid is a concentrated gelatinous broth. Strained, the meat is removed from the head, chopped, seasoned and returned to the broth and the whole placed in a mold and chilled until set, so it can be sliced.

Oz

unclehobart said:

ah, with ya now :) (ta unc).........yeah, I've seen similar recipes in old british cookbooks........never had the opportunity to try it tho :)

And ta Paul, very accurate descriptions gents ;)

AlphaTroll

Eeuuuuuwwww with the head cheese part Oz - ta for putting that image in me head mate :sick:

Pauly, tripe isn't weird - we eat it all the time - curried. And tongue isn't strange either - my mom makes it with a mustard sauce, it's yummie :D

breaky

Oz said:

yes, i'd like to know too, but i'll start my list meanwhile:winkkiss:

haggis - very nice, lots of flavour
brains - a little mushy but deep fried are great!
black pudding - an all time favourite breakfast treat - pigs blood.....nice
various internal animal organs - they are all really nice actually if cooked proper
i want to try witchety grubs, i want to eat EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!:D

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
unclehobart said:
JINX! lol

Apparently I beat you to the Goolge fast draw .... *BLAM*

he......he...he got me rex....take care a trigger for me. (in cowboy voice thing...yeah)

It's teally good, the tripe, well....that is good to, but when I found out what it was.....

and Pickled tongue is good to.

AlphaTroll

Oh, we know it as brawn - my mother loves the stuff, I feel sick to my stomach at the thought of it.

But it can't be worse than the British blood puddings or whatever the hell it's called - that's just gross - don't think I'll be trying that any time soon.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
AlphaTroll said:
Oh, we know it as brawn - my mother loves the stuff, I feel sick to my stomach at the thought of it.

But it can't be worse than the British blood puddings or whatever the hell it's called - that's just gross - don't think I'll be trying that any time soon.

Uhmm, yeah, put that on my list as well, I hated that one though, the texture......not good

what else I like Octopus, sushi, sashimi, smoked salmon (that is not weird, but it's good)

breaky

eat more native plants and animals i say, i love croccodile, wallaby, kangaroo, emu...ooooh my favourite meats:winkkiss:

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
breaky said:
eat more native plants and animals i say, i love croccodile, wallaby, kangaroo, emu...ooooh my favourite meats:winkkiss:

I have a funny feeling you don't live in kansas then

*I don't thingk we're in dorothy any more toto, I mean...*

tonksy

we eat all kind of strange things in louisiana, apparently. i don't have a problem with woodland creatures on my dinner plate (i love all gods creatures...especially with gravy). crawfish freaks some people out. i think they're nuts, i'd kill over crawfish. boudin is sausage made with rice, it has an interesting texture, but it's way yummy. when i lived in japan, i was always the official taster of strange foods for my mom. kinda got over being food shy....still haven't worked up the nerve for rocky mountain oysters.....that's just wrong.

breaky

paul_valaru said:
I have a funny feeling you don't live in kansas then

*I don't thingk we're in dorothy any more toto, I mean...*
:laugh5::whip:

oysters rock!!!! freshly shucked ....oh yeahhhhhh:winkkiss:

AlphaTroll

Well, I've had crocodile, zebra, giraffe and just about every wild buck (Kudu, Springbuck, and a bunch that I can't remember the English names for now).

We also eat ostrich, which some people find strange.

And the usual like squid heads, octopus, sushi (didn't really like it too much) etc.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
#1 - What are rocky mountain oysters?

#2 - Doesn't the bag in the tukey normally just contain it's organs? My mom, aunts and uncles are nuts about such things. They are fight over the organs when we have thanksgiving. When my grandfather is around he always gets the neck...ALWAYS but when he is not MAN you better watch out!