I ate what?!?

Dave

crawfish freaks some people out
really?? i like crawfish. had them with some sort of spicy dish with diced veggies. yummy.

been to a couple of Philipine restaurants where i had things like fried pig intestines and blood soup. i'll try most anything. except the aforementioned rocky mountain oysters and something called balut (fertilized chicken or goose egg)

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
ic

I have heard they are good.

Though I myself will never willingly consume them.

tonksy

Spot said:
really?? i like crawfish. had them with some sort of spicy dish with diced veggies. yummy.
sounds like etoufee or creole to me. you should get them out of the shell the way god intended.....yummm...boiled with corn and red potatoes with lotsa boil seasoning!

Ms Ann Thrope

I've eaten lots of strange things, spent 9 weeks traveling through Europe 20 years ago and ordered whatever I could NOT translate off the menu. The strangest would probably be calf's lung in Bavaria. The tastiest would be chamois, a type of goat, also in Bavaria. Now, if I'm lucky enough to be in a French restaurant, I always try to order sweetbreads. :D

I've always identified with this line from James Joyce's Ulysses: Mr Leopold Bloom ate with relish the inner organs of beasts and fowls. He liked thick giblet soup, nutty gizzards, a stuffed roast heart, liver slices fried with crustcrumbs, fried hencod's roes.

MMMM :licklips:

Thulsa Doom

AlphaTroll said:
Oh, we know it as brawn - my mother loves the stuff, I feel sick to my stomach at the thought of it.

But it can't be worse than the British blood puddings or whatever the hell it's called - that's just gross - don't think I'll be trying that any time soon.

oh this from the picky little girl who wont eat mashed potatoes or even doughnuts. :nuts2:

Personally, theres not much Ill turn down. Im always the only guy at the table that loves liver. Everyone else always runs. Ive even had roasted caterpillers. They taste like a combination between a fat undercooked french fry and that stuff you get in the head of a lobster (yeah I eat that too). Only thing I cant eat is coconut. But thats just because Im allergic. Ill eat it but Ill have to puke on you.

Oz

I suppose I've eaten some pretty wierd stuff....

I've done several of those army-style survival courses.......where they basically drop yer off in the middle of the forest and yer have to live off the land.

I've eaten worms (if yer squeeze the guts outa them then fry them or slowly roast them they are a bit like crispy bacon.)

Hedgehog.......tastes pretty good!

Rabbit (not so unusual this one I guess)

Just about any flying creature........excluding bat.

Burdock........just like broccoli stalk.

Jews ear fungus....like chewing an old elastic band.

Stinging Nettle soup........like cabbage soup, with attitude.

Pigeon eggs.

Dandelion juice.....Yuck!

various crawly things dredged from the bottom of a river........stirred into stew (kinda like midget crunchy shrimp)

tonksy

Thulsa Doom said:
Personally, theres not much Ill turn down. Im always the only guy at the table that loves liver. Everyone else always runs. Ive even had roasted caterpillers. They taste like a combination between a fat undercooked french fry and that stuff you get in the head of a lobster (yeah I eat that too). Only thing I cant eat is coconut. But thats just because Im allergic. Ill eat it but Ill have to puke on you.
liver and onions po boy...yummm! but i'd never eaten it as a kid and i think thats where alot of peoples aversion comes from!
that stuff in the head of a lobster, or a crawfish, is called tamale and i eat it too. it's vulgarly called "sucking the head" of the crawfish and thats where all the spicy goes for some reason.
coconut is great! love it.
i hate tuna casserole. the very idea makes me naseous....gag....

Thulsa Doom

tonks said:
liver and onions po boy...yummm! but i'd never eaten it as a kid and i think thats where alot of peoples aversion comes from!
that stuff in the head of a lobster, or a crawfish, is called tamale and i eat it too. it's vulgarly called "sucking the head" of the crawfish and thats where all the spicy goes for some reason.

mmmm... liver and onion po boy... with oysters.... *drool*

Yeah I like that stuff (the tamale. but in these here parts we call it the "mustard"). I dont see why everyone gets so upset about it. Too many people are visual eaters in my opinion. When I eat crabs I always go after that yellow crap tucked into the sides of the shell. balances out the flavor of the meat. Course its like 75% sodium...

Oz... "Jews ear fungus"?

Professur

At our graduation dinner, neither Bish, nor my brother-in-law bothered to read the menu. Hence, they enjoyed (what they referred to as) the finest roast beef they'd ever had. It wasn't 'til after that I told them it was beef tongue.

Oz

Thulsa Doom said:
Oz... "Jews ear fungus"?

A pale brown......very rubbery fungus that grows on tree bark, and, oddly enough, has a similar appearance to a human ear (don't ask me where the "jew" comes into the name 'cos I dunno).

Liver an onions *drool*.........surely that is one of life's staple meals :)

BeardofPants

I would not classify sushi as weird.

I'm boring, haven't really tried anything too weird. Being mostly vegetarian limits my options somewhat. I guess the weirdest thing I've had would be sashimi/sushi/raw fish type things. I also love korean food (my weakness) - bimbibab (or however you spell it) is fantastic stuff: fried rice, spicy chilli stuff, and fresh vegetables with a raw egg on top. Very jummy. Oh, and kimchi bibimbab is just heaven.

AlphaTroll

Thulsa Doom said:
oh this from the picky little girl who wont eat mashed potatoes or even doughnuts. :nuts2:

LOL - I didn't say I eat those things (the brawn and blood puds) - yuck!!!!!

And hey, you left chocolate cake, peanut butter, courgettes, marshmallows and rataouille off the list of thins I don't eat :p

breaky

AlphaTroll said:
LOL - I didn't say I eat those things (the brawn and blood puds) - yuck!!!!!

And hey, you left chocolate cake, peanut butter, courgettes, marshmallows and rataouille off the list of thins I don't eat :p

courgettes and ratatouille kick ass, that is what you meant isn't it? i love the stuff with a nice home made linguini there is not much better, food wise i mean:winkkiss:

breaky

courgettes and ratatouille kick ass, that is what you meant isn't it? i love the stuff with a nice home made linguini there is not much better, food wise i mean:winkkiss:

oh you better add some parmeggiano reggiano and then you would really have sex on a plate:licklips:

Philly

what in the hell is head cheese?

i have a head with a cheese hat stuck in my mind. you know like the packers cheese hats. uh yeah

something i've found to be utterly digusting, if i may add, is bologna sandwhich with ketchup on it. i have never tried it but my brother-in-law loves it. i find this to be an outrage. no ketchup on bologna. ewwwwwww