"Illegal alien" is a racist phrase

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
MrBishop said:
Calling every hispanic person an 'illegal alien' is prejudicial and racially so.

If that guy who lived in Northern California for 25 years, then won a multi-million dollar lottery but never learned english isn't an illegal alien...who is (btw-he never applied for citizenship)

Illegal aliens refuse to become Americans. Immigrants are in a hurry to do so.

Professur

Here's a question for all you enlightened people.

I'm processing a request for Mr Alejandro Gonzales at the moment. Now, I know that his first name is pronounced Aly-handro, from personal experience. Jsut a show of hands, who thinks that an effort should be made (by anyone, not just yourself) to accomodate the fact that, in some languages, letters are pronounced differently. Should Mr. Gonzales modify the spelling of his name to reflect the nation he now lives in, and the local vocabulary? Should he change the pronounciation to reflect the spelling? Or is Mr. Gonzales entitled to demand that the local spelling and vocabulary be set aside and everyone learn to recognise and pronounce his name as it would be in spanish?

En Garde.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
I'll bite.

The translation (for lack of better term) of my first name into French sounds like Michelle. Were I to reside in a French speaking locale, and a French speaking person referred to me as Michel, I would not be offended in the slightest. I would, however, continue to use the name my mother gave me at birth, as I feel that overrides dialect differences.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
I don't have a problem by pronouncing the name according to the language, I might not do it right the first time but as soon as I'm corrected I'll do it properly.

It is just a matter of courtesy, not a matter of rules and rights.

2minkey

bootlicker
well apparently the more "inclusive" way is to call them "undocumented" but, believe it or not, "illegal alien" is fine with me.

now i'd be nice to alejandro and pronounce his name the right way. though i did notice today at lunch i found myself not giving a shit, and using only english with the server at the taqueria.

Altron

The family came across the pond 181 years ago, and people still can't pronounce the name. It's a one syllable name. And they still don't get it.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
SouthernN'Proud said:
I'll bite.

The translation (for lack of better term) of my first name into French sounds like Michelle. Were I to reside in a French speaking locale, and a French speaking person referred to me as Michel, I would not be offended in the slightest. I would, however, continue to use the name my mother gave me at birth, as I feel that overrides dialect differences.

:rofl4: Your first name is Mitchell...:rofl4: :lol: :)..waitaminute...:crap:...So's mine. :mope:

Winky

Michelle, ma belle
Sont des mots qui vont tre's bien ensemble
Tre's bien ensemble

MrBishop

It's his name...let him keep it. If you can pronounce it properly, great. If not, why should he change his name to make other people feel more comfortable?

*Wonders how Prof'd feel about changing his name to the french version.

Professur

OK, go back and read the question again, Bish. Last time I checked, none of the letters in my name change their pronounciation from english to french.

And the question doesn't suggest that he change anything "to make other people feel more comfortable"

MrBishop

Should Mr. Gonzales modify the spelling of his name to reflect the nation he now lives in, and the local vocabulary

There are no letters in french that'd give you the long "O" in your name. You'd have to replace it with "aw" instead
That'd make you Jean, buddy.

And the question doesn't suggest that he change anything "to make other people feel more comfortable
Why else would he change it?