Just curious

Do you use racial, ethnic or other "slurs" in your speech?

• Yes, and I really don't care what you think about it.

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Yes, but much less often that I used to.

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Yes, but rarely and only in the presence of people I know well and trust.

Votes: 9 36.0%
  • No, but I used to.

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • No, I never have done that.

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • No, and I'll slap the snot out of anyone who does so in my presence.

• Shut up and fetch me a beer already.

• Total voters

spike

I unconditionally refuse to call black people African Americans. You're either American, or you're not. If you are, start considering yourself an American, not a foreigner. If you aren't, get out of America. Now.

It's somewhat useful when you want to indicate someone who is of a particular decent but an American citizen. Chinese-American, German-American, etc.

You can say Asian and have it often have it assumed you're talking about an American sometimes. I don't see a problem with the "Something-American" phrasing as way of describing someone.

tonksy

Can't you just say "of African descent" or "of Chinese descent"? People don't go around calling me a Danish-American...they call me white.

spike

If they're American, then they ain't African any more.

So say you start dating a girl of Japanese descent who's an American citizen and want to describe her to a buddy. What do you say?

Most people I know would say "she's Japanese" or "she's Asian" and leave off the American part. You'd just say "she's American"?

If you were dating a girl of African descent same thing?

tonksy

My exhusband (the 1st one :nerd: ) was half Taiwanese and although his mother had become a citizen he still referred to himself as half Taiwanese :shrug:
I would wager that most folks don't really care to split hairs about it, you know? When you guys discuss your heritage do you include the -American suffix?

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
So say you start dating a girl of Japanese descent who's an American citizen and want to describe her to a buddy. What do you say?

Most people I know would say "she's Japanese" or "she's Asian" and leave off the American part. You'd just say "she's American"?

If you were dating a girl of African descent same thing?

Has a great butt?

Altron

I'd describe them as a person, not as another faceless member of an ethnic group.

Maybe they look a little different, or talk a little funny, but does that matter in the slightest? No.

spike

I'd describe them as a person, not as another faceless member of an ethnic group.

Maybe they look a little different, or talk a little funny, but does that matter in the slightest? No.

"Person" is much less faceless than describing their ethnicity.

Buddy: What's your girlfriend look like
Altron: She's a human, with person colored hair.
Buddy: That's hot

:D

Altron

I'd say something about them, their intrests, their personality, not their ethnic heritage.

Altron

two arms, two legs, hands at the end of the arms, five fingers on each, two eyes, one mouth, long hair, that kinda stuff.

Altron

Yes. She is able to balance her weight on her rear legs, allowing her to use her front legs, which we shall refer to as "arms", while in motion. Combined with opposing thumbs, this gives her the ability to walk upright while precisely handling a tool or weapon against predators.