List of filtered words...

Jeslek

Banned
samcurry said:
jerrek the decision wasnt respected, no need to smooth it over.
I respect your decision, even though I don't agree with it. What I mean is, I won't complain anymore. Thats it. :) You're giving us a great board and we all love you for that guy :)

[b]

But it seems that sometimes that is not enough for some.

If this is in reference to me, let me say this. This is the only time I have ever voiced any sort of disagreement or have called for a vote on anything having to do with the operation of this board. As far as I'm concerned I've been an upstanding member of OTC. It's unfortunate if anybody here feels as if I've gone too far by questioning the judgement of the sites admins and owner.

The donations are just that donations to keep the site up. It pays for the host, and the software when necessary. Not to determine the day to day operations or the inner working of how the site is ran.

If helping to pay for running and maintaining the day to day operations of the site doesn't give me a little more say in how it's run, I'll never be a contributor.

But let me ask you this. If the word is not autocensored (which by the way i took the only word out) and a mod goes into the post and does his job is that not censoring? and then we are in the same boat.

A mod has the human capacity to read and infer context and meaning behind a post. A computer does not. A mod can stop and say, "Hey, what exactly do you mean by this?" A computer cannot. A mod can explain why a post was censored. A computer will not.

I truly appreciate you removing the one word from the auto censor. Hopefully users will respect their right to free speech on the board and not use what is mostly an inappropriate word just because they can.

samcurry

Screwing with the code...
Staff member
that was not meant to you.

and im sorry you feel that way about the donations. but they are just that. there isnt a site around that will give any more or less. Ars and all the others work the same way. It may allow you post in certain forums or not see banners but thats about it.
I offered to host the site but when the traffic became to much for the server i was on something had to be done. either close it back up or ask for a little help to keep the site open.
And while its true a human can make the difference on wether a post should be censored, there isnt a time when there is always a mod or admin around. and during that time what do you say to a member that shows up and is flamed into the ground and never returns because of something that only after the fact is moderated? at that point there is nothing to say. you lose a good member to a bad one. and in the end you usually lose both cause you end up banning the bad one.
While censorship is never really a good thing there are times when it is needed. wether it is automated or done by a moderator.
There is a bigger picture to this whole thing. We all have to answer to someone. I have to answer to the host. And if they show up to the site and deem something unfit for their servers I will have no choice but to censor out whatever it would happen to be that they find offensive. now while some wont like that, It wont really matter at that point. I plan to keep the site up and running. but like i said i still have to follow their rules.

S

s4

i can tell ya this much, early on when i was a supermod, i wanted to start locking threads for shit that people did. i wouldn't have allowed that word or any close to it when i was a mod. you think Sam is bad, i would of shown ya the meaning of censorship. those boob threads would of went bye bye, the same as s4 prolly will after someone gets the idea of banning him for saying this. i am referring to the pre-gilbert days when i took modding seriously. dribble is ok, but enough of it gets old.

ok. ready to see word banned under my username again for speakin' up.

Q

I can't even imagine why anyone would even want to use that word. I can think of no possible constructive uses for it.
...And the fact that people are fighting to have the right to post that word makes my skin crawl.

Squiggy

ThunderDick
s4 said:
ok. ready to see word banned under my username again for speakin' up.

I can't imagine that anything you said would get you banned. We all voice our opinions from time to time. And Q, I agree...It sure seems odd to fight for the right to use that word . I think we should let all "hate words" die a quiet death. But its like the abortion issue...Whatever side you're on, the other 50% thinks you're wrong....

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
Q said:
I can't even imagine why anyone would even want to use that word. I can think of no possible constructive uses for it.
...And the fact that people are fighting to have the right to post that word makes my skin crawl.
Q has summed up my feelings exactly.

S

s4

I'm not a mod and don't care to be one. If the people running the site want that word allowed, then I really don't care. It's not my concern.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
I don't think you guys are getting the point of this exactly. I don't want to say the N word. I don't think the N word is a word that is to be used in everyday conversation either. However, if you are going to eliminate that word, there are several others that need to be eliminated as well. That is the point. Do we really want to eliminate any offensive words? Who are they offensive to?

One last thing, before you comment here, read this thread, especially the article written by Inkara, it sums up the white mans position in this country pretty clearly.

S

s4

I understand you are saying that if the people who run the board eliminate one naughty word then they should eliminate all of them.

The difference is that this one promotes hate whereas a word like fuck doesn't.

What you are questioning is if they have one rule then why have any at all? There is good reason to ban hate words on a message board if you want a board that everyone can enjoy. Would you really want that kind of a board that has unrestricted hate and violence promotion? I would leave the board for sure if it came to that, and I bet some others would, too.

If I were a mod, the N word would not be allowed, period. However, the word fuck would be ok.

whoreable

ACTUALLY SAYING NIGGER SHOULD BE ALLOWED BECUASE WE CAN USE IT WHENEVER WE WANT TO TALK AOBUT PEOPLE SAYING THE WORD NIGGER. WHY SHOULD WE BE SO AFRAID OF A WORD WHEN IT IS NOT BEING USED TO INDUCE HATE?

OH NO!! I SAID NIGGER!!! :eek:
I AM JUST TOO IN YOUR FACE.

BEING A RACIST IS ONE THING. SAYING THE WORD NIGGER WHERE AS IT APPLIES TO A WORD IS ANOTHER. GET IT STRIAGHT.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
OMFG :eek:, Well said Whoreable.

That's what I'm saying S4, I agree if someone uses the word to describe another person, then they should be banned. If someone is using the word to get a point across, without being derogatory, it should be allowed.

kuulani

Leslie said:
Q said:
Q has summed up my feelings exactly.

I haven't commented before, but this is exactly what I was thinking. makes a good point though, there are many words just as demeaning as the word in question, so why only block that word?

S

s4

whoreable said:
ACTUALLY SAYING NIGGER SHOULD BE ALLOWED BECUASE WE CAN USE IT WHENEVER WE WANT TO TALK AOBUT PEOPLE SAYING THE WORD NIGGER. WHY SHOULD WE BE SO AFRAID OF A WORD WHEN IT IS NOT BEING USED TO INDUCE HATE?

OH NO!! I SAID NIGGER!!! :eek:
I AM JUST TOO IN YOUR FACE.

BEING A RACIST IS ONE THING. SAYING THE WORD NIGGER WHERE AS IT APPLIES TO A WORD IS ANOTHER. GET IT STRIAGHT.

It all depends on what the purpose is. You missed the point I was making. I am not saying it is not ok because the word is too frank. I am say that if I were a mod of a message board, I would ban the word no matter how it is used.

Let's say someone new came to the board and the first thing they saw was that word all over the place. No matter how it was used, the person probably would not be interested in reading the text of what is said. All they would see is the word in caps big as life. If they were offended by the word, they would leave and go to another site never even bothering to read what else people are saying.

People on the internet will leave a site within the first few seconds of first viewing if if the page takes too long to load or if they see something that turns them off. If I were going to run a board, a lot of the crap that gets posted here would be be deleted. I'd run it pretty much like HWC does with no off topic for the very reason that some asshole demands that he can use the word n word and doesn't care if it bothers anyone else using the word.

Personally, the whole issue doesn't mean shit to me, because I am not running a message board and don't care. And yes, I called you an asshole. Is that in your face enough for you?

[b]

Actually s4, I'm the one you're ultimately calling an asshole since I started the whole fiasco. But then, I've also made several peoples "skin crawl" arguing my point, so whatever.

I don't want to able to use the word nigger because it turns me on to do so, or because I am insensitive to the emotional response it evokes in others. Anybody who has read my posts should know better to even think that of me.

If you've read this thread, then you can understand why I used the word in the first place. I see the word nigger and the word faggot has having the same level of hate behind them.

What bothered me is that without any sort of notice, my post was automatically censored by a program that I'm not sure many people here were even aware of. And the ONLY word on that list is the word nigger.

The concern that someone may get on this board and never come back because of one word could also be applied to any number of words. As a gay male, I might be offended by the repeated use of the word faggot. Thankfully, I'm not, but others may be. A women might get offended by someone using bitch over and over again.

You can't just stop at one word. And you shouldn't even start with one.

But whatever. I wasn't trying to cause a riot. I was angry at what was, or at least what I felt was an unjust censorship. And I was furious at the idea that it came at the "hands" of an automated program.

If the owner of this board wants a autocensor, glory be to him. But it is my firm belief the AUP should be updated to advise people that an autocensor is in place to remove offensive words.

And btw s4, the whole point of this board was to post all the off topic crap that wasn't allowed on HWC (or so I've been told). That's why it's titled OFF TOPIC CENTRAL.

samcurry

Screwing with the code...
Staff member
Guys, Gals and whoever else reads this.
There is no words on the censor list anymore. So please let it rest.
The mods are aware that if any word is used to flame, belittle, or personally attack another member not only the word but the post will be deleted.
The context of how used it was acceptable.(err acceptable as it could be i guess) It was not directed at anyone.
But I dont appreciate the way it is being used as an example and in all caps like i am seeing in this thread. I have asked that it be stopped. If it doesnt i will put a mod into the software to prevent all caps from being used.
Again i ask that this be laid to rest.
Thanks.