List of filtered words...

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
said his piece, so now I'll add mine...

Using a word just to use it, KNOWING that it's inflammatory, is childish at best and racist at worst. To the best of my knowledge, I never used a racially inflammatory word in this, or any other, forum. I have, on occasion, spoken out against the use of some words, but that, it seems, is not important. Most of you, with the exception of , have no idea how much anger and frustration you can stir up with the utterance of such a word, and for that, at least, I am thankful. You've never had to hear such ignorance and hate, so you don't know what it's like. Of course, you all know what it means, and that it's only use is to belittle, degrade, or otherwise lessen the humanity of another person. Think hard before such words are used, as there is little you can do to remove them once you let them be seen.

Now a special message for ...

I cannot apologize for the fact that the word nigger was on the censor list and the word faggot was not. I didn't make the list. As you can see from whoreables posts, in caps no less, that some folks are just not mature enough to handle the freedoms they are given. I cannot change that, either. What I can change, to a certain extent, are perceptions. You will never know the way I live my life, in a constant inner rage, because of the words I hear. I can't lose my temper whatsoever because if I do, I'm no longer a human...I'm just a nigger who can't handle stress. I can't cry, because if I do, I'm not a strong black man. I spend my life on the edge, just short of success, and also just short of failure, because if I soar too high, I'm a sellout or a showboat, but if I go too low, I'm just another dumb nigger who couldn't cut it. Perhaps you understand and perhaps you don't. Explanations on a personal level are always more difficult than in the abstract.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Gato said:
I soar too high, I'm a sellout or a showboat,

Can you attempt to explain this? That is what keeps more people down than "the man" ever could. Why is it considered bad form to succed? Martin Luther King is rolling over in his grave over this issue.

[b]

Gato_Solo said:
Now a special message for ...

I cannot apologize for the fact that the word nigger was on the censor list and the word faggot was not. I didn't make the list.

First off, I don't care that faggot wasn't on the list. What I care about is the fact that there was a list in the first place. And while I don't care the faggot wasn't on the list, the fact that there was only one word on there deemed offensive enough pissed me off as well.

Gato_Solo said:
As you can see from whoreables posts, in caps no less, that some folks are just not mature enough to handle the freedoms they are given. I cannot change that, either.

No, you can't change that, but what you are advocating is a reduction of my freedoms because somebody else can't handle what it means. BAN THEM! If they can't handle it, kick their punk ass off the board!

I'm 99.9999999% sure that I'll never need to use that word again. But the one time I did use it, to accent a point I was trying to make, I had my post automatically changed. I have only ever used that word once in my life. I was in third grade and didn't even know what it meant. But my very best friend knew what it meant when I said it to him. And when he started crying I knew that it wasn't something I shouldn't of said. I have never, ever, used that word since then to hurt anybody.

Gato_Solo said:
What I can change, to a certain extent, are perceptions. You will never know the way I live my life, in a constant inner rage, because of the words I hear. I can't lose my temper whatsoever because if I do, I'm no longer a human...I'm just a nigger who can't handle stress. I can't cry, because if I do, I'm not a strong black man. I spend my life on the edge, just short of success, and also just short of failure, because if I soar too high, I'm a sellout or a showboat, but if I go too low, I'm just another dumb nigger who couldn't cut it.

How bout this Gato...change your perceptions. You limit yourself by what others may or may not think about you and that makes you mad at who you are. Fuck them. Why do you care what they think?

And it seems to me that some of what you are complaining about it pressure put on you by the black community. What white person would say you're not a strong black man because you cry? What white person would call you a sellout for being a success?

Don't try and tell me that you can't be happy because some trailer trash cracker might call you a nigger. That's bullshit and I'm calling you on it.

I don't let the fact that people might call me a faggot, or say I'm queer stop me from being happy. If anything, I do what I can to change the perception of people by doing what they wouldn't expect. I'm nice to them. I hold open doors for them, I say excuse me I have to squeeze by them in the grocery store, and the whole time I'm holding my boyfriend's hand. If the only they can think about me when they pass is faggot, then oh well. But if I keep holding those doors open one day they might think "nice faggot" as they pass, and soon they'll just be thinking "nice guy".

I change perceptions by not letting myself succumb to them. Not by letting them be an excuse for why I can't succeed in life.

Jeslek

Banned
Gato_Solo said:
I'm just a nigger
And a damn fine one, serving our country. Anyone looking into the color or a person's skin or whatever his sexual preferences are and makes a judgment of character based on that isn't worth a friendship anyways. :)

S

s4

whatever Sam and Fury decided on the word list is ok with me, i never use either word on message boards

[b]

that's just it. it's already been decided. gato just wants to get into some verbal fisticuffs with me. it's been a while and he misses me, that's all :D

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
[b said:
]that's just it. it's already been decided. gato just wants to get into some verbal fisticuffs with me. it's been a while and he misses me, that's all :D

Au contrair, mon frere...

Pressure comes from both communities...black and white. When most folks think of a successful, rich, black man, they think of two types of people...Athletes and entertainers. Because I'm niether athlete nor entertainer, then my chances of success in any endeavor are narrowed quite a bit. Same for 'outed' homosexual men, if I'm not mistaken. ;) I'm at the mercy of those who say that I can't succeed, and those who would tell me that even if I do succeed it's for 2 reasons...either affirmative action, or I'm kissing somebody's ass. There is no middle ground for me, so most of my life is spent walking the tightrope as it were.

S

s4

I'm not sure that's true. I think there are a lot of successful people out there that worked their way up that are non-white. Mr. Powell is one that I can think of. I know he didn't start out being the richest guy around. He's one of the most important and respected people in the country.

tommyj27

Not really Banned
s4 said:
Let's say someone new came to the board and the first thing they saw was that word all over the place. No matter how it was used, the person probably would not be interested in reading the text of what is said.

IMHO, i am new here but i wasn't so stunned by the dubious word choice of some as i was by the incredible response you gave the troll, which, technically I'm now also a contributor to.

peace out, :hippy:
tommyj

Q

Gato_Solo said:
I'm at the mercy of those who say that I can't succeed, and those who would tell me that even if I do succeed it's for 2 reasons...either affirmative action, or I'm kissing somebody's ass.
That's not necessarily true, although I'm sure there are people that would assume that. I know I don't and I'm sure I'm not alone. Besides you can't let other peoples misconceptions define you or limit your potential. Fuck those kinda people. I don't even waste my time worrying about what they might be thinking....and if you haven't noticed, neither does .

HomeLAN

Gato_Solo said:
I'm at the mercy of those who say that I can't succeed, and those who would tell me that even if I do succeed it's for 2 reasons...either affirmative action, or I'm kissing somebody's ass. There is no middle ground for me, so most of my life is spent walking the tightrope as it were.

Pardon me, but bullshit.

In my business, I and my fellow employees deal with a customer base of successful entrepreneurs every single working day. A very high percentage of them are black. Know what? Nobody cares.

Money is green, no matter who makes it or spends it. Everyone I've ever known in business who was any kind of success knows that and lives by it, black AND white.

It's a shame that more athletes and entertainers don't have the same view. They're usually too busy using thier skin color as an excuse for often shameful behavior.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
tommyj27 said:
s4 said:
Let's say someone new came to the board and the first thing they saw was that word all over the place. No matter how it was used, the person probably would not be interested in reading the text of what is said.

IMHO, i am new here but i wasn't so stunned by the dubious word choice of some as i was by the incredible response you gave the troll, which, technically I'm now also a contributor to.

peace out, :hippy:
tommyj
I don't think anyone's been acting like a troll in here.

A troll would just be complaining for the sake of getting attention. 's beef with the word censor was justified. Granted the discussion didn't need to be dragged on this long after it had been said the word was removed from the list, but I think a good uprising is healthy from time to time, keeps us all on our toes :D