Nature in the City

MrBishop

Professur said:
that's what you think. I saw one out front of the Shang one night. Jsut strolling down Peel.
City-coons, come down from the mountain looking for free munchies.

None on the 'shore' near my area... I do recall seeing a deer over by your old place though...in the farmer's field across the street.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
They walk the streets proudly in broad daylight here. Coons, that is. Deer are usually spotted only early morning, rarely and randomly.

Professur

MrBishop said:
City-coons, come down from the mountain looking for free munchies.

None on the 'shore' near my area... I do recall seeing a deer over by your old place though...in the farmer's field across the street.

Hell, a family of coons have lived for years in the culvert under my driveway. And there's plenty living in the fields behind centenial, along the tracks, and in that wild area past Cornwall st. I'm sure that a few have passed close by.

Dave

havent seen any racccoons my way yet. nor squirrels for that matter. have seen several deer and heard some coyotes howling in the distance.
did see a great blue heron taking off from our little pond out back. must've been snacking on the minnows out there. i hope they dont eat turtles.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
AB, we won't beat on you as long as you're not strewing our trash everywhere, honest.

:lloyd:

Altron

Never hit a squirrel yet. I try, but they're too damn fast. They can probably see death in the huge chunk of chrome in the front of my car.

Thinking about dodging them until they become complacent, then, BAM, right under the 235/75R15s! Two and a half tons gonna mash them up real good. Need a scraper if I want to get some eats outta them.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
The kids asked me what beavers eat yesterday as we walked by where he's at.

Had to google that. :blank:

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
see NOW I know that.

More nature...

The Great Mosquito Hatch Of 2006. There are baby mosquitoes EVERYWHERE! They're for the last two days flying/hovering in clouds, like those gnats that we spit out all summer long. There are hundreds of them against every window of the house, even in the rain that we're having right now. They puff out of the grass when we walk on it. I've never seen anything like it. SO many! It's gonna be a badass summer. :(

Professur

Get a big ol' shop vac and go after them. Either the foam or paper filters will keep them in the canister. Just spray a shitload of either bug poison or (even better) household scent spray into the can before you shut it off. Gums up their breathing holes and they drop like flies.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
I'd thought of vacuuming them. Then I thought of me standing outside waggling a shop vac hose around. So I decided against it.

A.B.Normal

Leslie said:
I'd thought of vacuuming them. Then I thought of me standing outside waggling a shop vac hose around. So I decided against it.
I'm sure the youngins wouldn't mind accomodating you on that,however you may find the odd cat/dog/neighbour kid etc... also in the vacuum.:evilgrin:

Professur

Leslie said:

Hey, it's your blood. Do as you will.

unclehobart

It blows me away that a 3 month straight negative centigrade winter stretch can't mass kill all of that insect larvae. The little bastards must be from freaky military experiment.

Professur

Unc, I've seen what you've got for mosquitos. Sorry, but they're a small, sad joke compared to the flying hypodermics we breed.