Nature in the City

unclehobart

You will get no argument from me. Our mosquitoes used be large ones until the mass extermination programs of the 60's and 70's wiped out the weaker strains. What was left over were some tiny and rather nasty asian tiger mosquitoes that are pretty much immune to normal extermination methods and land so lightly that you don't know they've been there until you're scratching the welt.

Slim Pickens

Gotta find me some of those, as opposed to the teacup vampires around here...I used to have a shirt with a picture of a mosquito on it that said Louisiana State Bird":hmm:

Professur

You can buy leg traps for ours at the airport store, right beside the nasal enema and the toothbrushes.

unclehobart

I'm ... well... can't say 'thrilled' to learn that. I... um... I guess I'll put it down to something you just don't see every day.

Are you talking about one of those salt wash bulbs? ... or a real off the shelf prepackaged enema dealy?

Professur

Actually, this was a pipe-shaped glass tube. You'd fill it with water, and put your finger over the hole in one end. The other hole had a rounded lip that you'd put up your nostril, and then you'd take your finger off the top hole and let the water run up into your nose and into your sinuses, softening and releasing all the boogers up there and letting you blow all your troubles away. Supposedly great for people suffering from climate shock. Remember how you were all stuffy when you came up?

unclehobart

How frightening.

I don't such a thing would have worked for me. My trouble seemed to be lodged in my lymphatic system. My neck was seriously puffed out and all my joints hurt. It wasn't a sinus issue that I had... unless the climate toxicity is somehow linked all together back into my immune system via the nose.

Mare

Professur said:
I've hunted beaver before. Caught it and ate it too. Some mighty fine eating there.

OKKKKKKKKKK, i'm gonna walk right into this one!

What did it taste like???? (dont say chicken) haha

Really though, was it a gamey taste?

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
ohgoodgod :sick:

I just plucked up my courage and went out back. They're big enough that they've turned into Kamikazes now.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
There were birds in the attic. It took me a bit to figure out how they were getting in, as the spinny thingie has blades, and nothing bird sized would fit between them. Finally, a couple weeks ago, I noticed a dryer vent up there :confuse3:, so I waited till I thought the birds were outside, then I stuffed the vent up so that they couldnt' come back and start a nest.

One of the kids found a dead bird in the attic yesterday. I killed a birdie, with a long, horrible death. :crying3:

A.B.Normal

Leslie said:
There were birds in the attic. It took me a bit to figure out how they were getting in, as the spinny thingie has blades, and nothing bird sized would fit between them. Finally, a couple weeks ago, I noticed a dryer vent up there :confuse3:, so I waited till I thought the birds were outside, then I stuffed the vent up so that they couldnt' come back and start a nest.

One of the kids found a dead bird in the attic yesterday. I killed a birdie, with a long, horrible death. :crying3:

Unless you stuffed it with something pretty solid you're likely to have more than birds in your attic i.e. rats,raccoons,squirrels etc....

It could be worse though you could have bats in your belfry

HomeLAN

So, last night a pair of ducks landed on the pool cover (male and female mallards). This is unwelcome, since A) they shit all over, B) I don't want them patterning on my pool as home, and C) when this happened 2 years ago I ended up with a nest - and eggs.

I chased them off. Two hours later, I chased them off again. This morning, I chased them off again.

*sigh*

I don't speak duck, but I'm pretty sure I got the jist of what the male had to say this morning when I evicted them.