Nature in the City

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Professur said:
Easier than most animals, for that matter. Lots easier than kids.

*wants to live in the country and have a pet owl some day*

Altron

Professur said:
Go to the local farm's supply, and buy an owl. Stick that somewhere where they can see it, and they'll vanish. Small rodents too. They know a predator when they see one.

Oh, and FYI, birds don't shit on your car out of spite. Every bird automatically shits before takeoff. No point in trying to get airborne while carrying dead weight. But they also hold it in until the last minute .... so that they're not leaving trace beneath where they're hanging out.

And I'm not gonna kill them out of spite. Pick another tree, or die. It's really quite simple. Nothing against birds, but I don't like washing the car every few days.

simplyred

When I lived in New Orleans Pigeons would flock to my balcony covering it in poop. I tried the owl trick and the f-ers perched on it. :confused:

Aunty Em

Professur said:
Hell, a family of coons have lived for years in the culvert under my driveway. And there's plenty living in the fields behind centenial, along the tracks, and in that wild area past Cornwall st. I'm sure that a few have passed close by.

I'm sorry and I know it's really un-pc of me, but this thread has got me rolling in the aisles and that was just the last straw... let me explain... years ago, when I was a child, "coon" was a term used for a black person and I just can't get the image of a black family living in your culvert out of my head. I'm not racist, but please, please, call a racoon a racoon cos my stomach hurts!

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
I dunno about the owl thing now...I'm thinking I want some hermit crabs (I saw some at a mall in New York this weekend)...I'm trying to find where I can get some in Canada.

simplyred

Aunty Em said:
I'm sorry and I know it's really un-pc of me, but this thread has got me rolling in the aisles and that was just the last straw... let me explain... years ago, when I was a child, "coon" was a term used for a black person and I just can't get the image of a black family living in your culvert out of my head. I'm not racist, but please, please, call a racoon a racoon cos my stomach hurts!

Em, that is still the term here too! Horrible!

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
simplyred said:
Em, that is still the term here too! Horrible!

Around here a 'coon is a racoon...I've never received a second glance for saying it as it seems I probably would there...due to the different meanings.

Altron

The term 'coon' is no longer in use here, but if you say it to a black dude, you'll get some dirty looks.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Altron said:
The term 'coon' is no longer in use here, but if you say it to a black dude, you'll get some dirty looks.

It's a very american term I think...it makes me think of slavery and black people in the south when I think of it in terms of people and not in terms of the nasty animals. I don't know that it would have any affect on black people around here unless it was used when refering to them...if they overheard it in conversation I don't know that it would phase them because it's not a common way to refer to black people here but it is a common way to refer to the rabies motels that are around.

simplyred

Nixy said:
It's a very american term I think...it makes me think of slavery and black people in the south when I think of it in terms of people and not in terms of the nasty animals. I don't know that it would have any affect on black people around here unless it was used when refering to them...if they overheard it in conversation I don't know that it would phase them because it's not a common way to refer to black people here but it is a common way to refer to the rabies motels that are around.

I hate that where I live is so backwards about the issue of race. Not EVERYONE, but there are still a few rebels left who aren't flying their flag for good ole dixie...but simply to stand against those of other races.

I remember last year calling the police because 3 Klan members were in full dress standing on the street corner just outside our neighborhood. They were yelling and screaming at the cars passing by about their beliefs. It was very offensive.

simplyred

Let me add....not offensive that they were vocalizing their opinions, but offensive because their shouts included violent threats.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
We went for a lovely walk today along the waterfront, went the opposite way for a change, along where the shore is more craggy.

The Rotary Club has built a little kind of inlet along there to let the waterfowl have peace from the boaters and masses of people and waves and such. It's a gorgeous atmosphere, and it's apparently the nesting spot. There are sets of baby ducks and geese galore with their mommies and daddies. We sat at the shore for awhile and watched them swim and eat and groom and fight and play. And we didn't get attacked or pooped on or anything. It was just fantabulous.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Nixy said:

My work here is so far from done.

Slaves were in every state, Nixy. Legally. Every single state. All of them. Without exception. Each and every. Yes, those too.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Leslie said:
We went for a lovely walk today along the waterfront, went the opposite way for a change, along where the shore is more craggy.

The Rotary Club has built a little kind of inlet along there to let the waterfowl have peace from the boaters and masses of people and waves and such. It's a gorgeous atmosphere, and it's apparently the nesting spot. There are sets of baby ducks and geese galore with their mommies and daddies. We sat at the shore for awhile and watched them swim and eat and groom and fight and play. And we didn't get attacked or pooped on or anything. It was just fantabulous.

I like ducks.

Were they French or English ducks?