New Car

Altron

Now, that 220, is that in real miles? Or did they convert it to metric for you celcius people and put the real miles in the little numbers?

'Cuz I don't think 220mph is feasible.
Your car does have a solid transmission, a GM 4T45. Looks like you've got a .68:1 overdrive, so there should be some nice highway cruisin'. Probably break 100. Not 220.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Altron said:
Now, that 220, is that in real miles? Or did they convert it to metric for you celcius people and put the real miles in the little numbers?

'Cuz I don't think 220mph is feasible.
Your car does have a solid transmission, a GM 4T45. Looks like you've got a .68:1 overdrive, so there should be some nice highway cruisin'. Probably break 100. Not 220.

220 is kilometres

Everything sold here has metric as theprimary measurement.

Inkara1

220 mph is definitely not feasable in a Pursuit... nor is 220 km/h. Common practice these days is to put a speedometer that goes to 120mph or more for a car with a top speed of 108.

Altron

Well, TBH, I would prefer a speedometer that goes higher than the car, rather then a car that goes higher than the speedometer.

Inkara1

I'd prefer it to be more evenly matched... like, say, no 160 mph speedometers on cars that are governed at 112. A 120 mph speedometer would make more sense.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Inkara1 said:
I'd prefer it to be more evenly matched... like, say, no 160 mph speedometers on cars that are governed at 112. A 120 mph speedometer would make more sense.

The original Audi S-4 was goverened to 118 MPH in the US, even though the car was capable of going at the much higher rate of 140 MPH. Why??? To keep the costs down, VAG used cheap-assed tires for the US market. To defeat the governer was easy, though. Take off the passenger-side kick-panel to expose the computer, and cut two wires. Voided the warranty, but, with a decent set of tires, not too many people cared...The more expensive way was to go to Europe, and swap out the computer, but that would cost extra. ;)

Gato_Solo

Professur said:
Tell me again what the speedlimit in your state is?

Anywhere from 25 to 150, depending upon driving conditions, enforcement, and traffic. Posted limit on highways is 55-70, depending upon distance from a major city. I've been passed like I was standing still when going 75...

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Gato_Solo said:
Anywhere from 25 to 150, depending upon driving conditions, enforcement, and traffic. Posted limit on highways is 55-70, depending upon distance from a major city. I've been passed like I was standing still when going 75...

I don't care what anyone says it is NEVER safe to go over twice the posted limit. Roads are NOT designed with that much extra safety built in.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Oh, I am gonna be the most paranoid parent EVER when I have kids!!

The dealer is on my way home and the car coolant temp was 104 on the highway on my way home so I stopped at the dealer and talked with the salesman. He checked with the mechanic who said the engine light will come at at 115C, the car overheats at 120C. So, essentially aslong as it's under 115C I'm a-ok and it's not unusual since it is warm outside. If it should get to 115C though then I should get it looked at (infact, pull over and call roadside assistance). Many of you told me I probably had nothing to worry about but I just had to get it checked.

Gato_Solo

Nixy said:
I don't care what anyone says it is NEVER safe to go over twice the posted limit. Roads are NOT designed with that much extra safety built in.

Easy there...better re-read my post. ;)

Besides...My tires are rated at 130, and that would be a more limiting factor than the asphalt. Note that I never said I drive at that speed.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Gato_Solo said:
Easy there...better re-read my post. ;)

Besides...My tires are rated at 130, and that would be a more limiting factor than the asphalt. Note that I never said I drive at that speed.

OK, first of all...whether or not you drive at that speed is irrelevant to my post...you have said SOME people drive at that speed and I am expressing my anger with whichever idiots drive at that speed...if you're one of them it's directed at you, if not then it's not.

Secondly, my concern isn't so much with tha asphalt as it is with curve radius, stopping sight distance and decision sight distance...the actual design of the roadway, not the design on the aspahlt on the road.

Gato_Solo

Nixy said:
Secondly, my concern isn't so much with tha asphalt as it is with curve radius, stopping sight distance and decision sight distance...the actual design of the roadway, not the design on the aspahlt on the road.

1. All the above can be somewhat abated by your tire compound, the weather, or the type of asphalt.
2. Most roadways are designed with as little change in curve radius as possible because people are idiots, and most interstates have a built-in 50% safety margin (margin for error). I would love to see a higher speed limit, but, then again, I'd like to see safer drivers before safer cars.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Gato_Solo said:
1. All the above can be somewhat abated by your tire compound, the weather, or the type of asphalt.
2. Most roadways are designed with as little change in curve radius as possible because people are idiots, and most interstates have a built-in 50% safety margin (margin for error). I would love to see a higher speed limit, but, then again, I'd like to see safer drivers before safer cars.

Well I can't vouch for the states but in Canada curves and such on the road are NOT designed to drive twice the speed limit. I've taken the classes, it's not safe to drive twice the speed limit, the roads aren't designed for it :shrug:

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Luis: It has like 275 on it when I got it

AB: I just used some armoral car wash wipes today cause we didn't have any car wash or a car wash mitt