Official Canada sucks thread

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Leslie said:
It wasn't slapping and whaling, but anyway.

I don't blame you for not eating that fish, either. One of the reasons you 'kill' it before you scale it is because doing it the other way around can give the meat a bad taste...As far as I'm concerned, that person you spoke of is lacking in integrity...torturing fish. :rolleyes:

K62

Nixy said:
:rofl4:

The fishing is next to non existant. Well...I dunno about lake fishing...but if you wanna go fishing in the bay, for YUMMY YUMMY cod fish, you firstly will need to buy a fishing licence which comes with a limited number of tags for the west coast and a limited number for the east coast (10 for each if memory serves)...You are not allowed to jig at all I do not think (this saddens me...despite my mishap when I was younger with a jigger line getting caught in a propeller and pulling tight on my hand I still love it). 10 tags may not sound like a lot but you'll be damned lucky to get that many. Last time I was there during the summer my brother and 2 other people went out fishing like 4 or 5 days, I went with them one day...and my brother caught ONE fish, noone else caught anything...it's BRUTAL.

You're saying fishing in Newfoundland is next to non existant? Hmm I don't know if I am understanding this right. I was on a military course with 3 newfys last summer and these boys loved to fish! said it was amazing.

I don't mean fishing in the bay or the ocean either. Good fishing for me is up to your waist in water, fighting the current of a little brook where you have to keep the cast low or you will end up in the trees. I can follow those brooks all day. I love it. :)

You are not allowed to jig at all I do not think

Hmm I think we have a different meaning for this word lol.
I know "jigging a fish" as when you try to set the hook in his mouth by giving the line a quick jerk, but he has already spit it out.. and you end up hooking him in the side of the head, or anywheres completely out of his mouth. It isn't pretty sometimes trying to get it out without messing him up.

We probably have simular fishing licences as the newies do, If I remember correctly it is 10 trout per person. When I go with my brother and my father, we usually don't have a problem comming back with close to 30 good sized trout. Yumm.. I love trout. :D

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
K62 said:
You're saying fishing in Newfoundland is next to non existant? Hmm I don't know if I am understanding this right. I was on a military course with 3 newfys last summer and these boys loved to fish! said it was amazing.

I don't mean fishing in the bay or the ocean either. Good fishing for me is up to your waist in water, fighting the current of a little brook where you have to keep the cast low or you will end up in the trees. I can follow those brooks all day. I love it. :)

Hmm I think we have a different meaning for this word lol.
I know "jigging a fish" as when you try to set the hook in his mouth by giving the line a quick jerk, but he has already spit it out.. and you end up hooking him in the side of the head, or anywheres completely out of his mouth. It isn't pretty sometimes trying to get it out without messing him up.

We probably have simular fishing licences as the newies do, If I remember correctly it is 10 trout per person. When I go with my brother and my father, we usually don't have a problem comming back with close to 30 good sized trout. Yumm.. I love trout. :D

Ok, when I think fishing in newfoundland I think COD...mmmmm cod...And yes, I don't mean just giving your line a jig, I mean jigging, as aposed to fishing...a very thick heavy line with a heavy weight and a huge hook which you drop down however deep you think the fish are and then just jig the line...no reels or rods are involved. It's jigging like this that played a major role in lowering the cod population cause it is (errr was) so successful.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Also, the cod licence is a once a year thing...they are so scarce that in an entire season you are only allowed one licence and thus only allowed 10 on each coast...they're just that scarce.

Gato_Solo

HomeLAN said:
I've always scaled before gutting. I've also always killed the fish first.

But we both agree that the fish is dead before scaling...just the method of death is a bit different...

BTW...after about 1/2 hour on ice, most fish are so lethargic as to make the hammer-blow just cruelty...not to say that evisceration is a better alternative...;)

BeardofPants

MrBishop said:
I'd rather catch/release the small ones and eat the larger ones.

That has its own problems, particuarly with species like Orange Roughy who have a lengthier breeding cycle. If you target the larger specimens, you're removing the ones who breed the most - in species like OR, it means that removing the larger specimens is more disastrous than removing the smaller ones. Care needs to be taken to only fish the stocks that are plentiful.

Incidentally, I've gutted fish before - no problems. But then, I've had to dissect stuff as well, and gutting a fish is pretty easy compared to dissection.

Gato_Solo

BeardofPants said:
That has it's own problems,, particuarly with species like Orange Roughy who have a lengthier breeding cycle. If you target the larger specimens, you're removing the ones who breed the most - in species like OR, it means that removing the larger specimens is more disastrous than removing the smaller ones. Care needs to be taken to only fish the stocks that are plentiful.

Which is why Drum (AKA Spot) are disappearing along the coast. ;)