Official Canada sucks thread

ClaireBear

Banned
MrBishop said:
A few things wrong with that. Removing the hook isn't always pretty or easy...and if you do that and take a pic, and weigh him, measure him etc etc... by the time you toss him back in the water. He's dead or nearly so.
In addition...they're tough to eat after you've released them :D

I'd rather catch/release the small ones and eat the larger ones.

But so many fisherman do do this... here its more common to find sport or course fishing going on rather than for food.

Most fish in pairs though to speed the process.

Poor poor li'le fishy... I really do adore fish but I dunno whether I could fish for food... :shrug:

ClaireBear

Banned
Gato_Solo said:
After I catch my fish, I put them on a stringer, and put them back in the water. Think of a stringer like a dog-lead. They stay quite alive until I'm ready to put them on ice, and take them home. Then it's just scale them, gut them, lop off the head, and cook. They do the same things to the fish you get at the market, but mine is much more fresh.

Yeah but you've still gotta chack their heads off summit otherwise they'd be a-jumping all over the ice box then drown on air... :shrug:

I personally couldn't do it... would be okay (ish) witnessing it I guess... but gutting... em no... that be the fisherman's job not the chef... I ain't doing that! *shudder*

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
ClaireBear said:
But so many fisherman do do this... here its more common to find sport or course fishing going on rather than for food.

Most fish in pairs though to speed the process.

Poor poor li'le fishy... I really do adore fish but I dunno whether I could fish for food... :shrug:

And that, to me, is a big problem. If you're not willing to eat it, you shouldn't catch it. Catch and release is fine for species that are on the decline, but what I fish for is extremely plentiful. Some call bluegill, which is good for pan frying, a nuisance species.

ClaireBear

Banned
Gato_Solo said:
And that, to me, is a big problem. If you're not willing to eat it, you shouldn't catch it. Catch and release is fine for species that are on the decline, but what I fish for is extremely plentiful. Some call bluegill, which is good for pan frying, a nuisance species.

Why not?

Its a relaxing leisure activity isn't it? and besides...

ClaireBear said:
....you've still gotta wack their heads off summit otherwise they'd be a-jumping all over the ice box then drown on air... :shrug:

I personally couldn't do it... would be okay (ish) witnessing it I guess... but gutting... em no... that be the fisherman's job not the chef... I ain't doing that! *shudder*

Gato_Solo

ClaireBear said:
Why not?

....you've still gotta wack their heads off summit otherwise they'd be a-jumping all over the ice box then drown on air...

Once they are under, or on, the ice, they settle down quite quickly. The temperature keeps them quite still. You'd never know they were there, in the cooler, until you open the lid and expose them to the sunlight. They'll flip until you close the lid again, or until you lop off the head. I'm pragmatic about the whole thing.

ClaireBear said:
Its a relaxing leisure activity isn't it? and besides...

Yes, it is relaxing, but that's just an added beneft to me.

ClaireBear

Banned
Gato_Solo said:
Once they are under, or on, the ice, they settle down quite quickly. The temperature keeps them quite still. You'd never know they were there, in the cooler, until you open the lid and expose them to the sunlight. They'll flip until you close the lid again, or until you lop off the head. I'm pragmatic about the whole thing.

Lopping off their heads!!!!! *shudder*

Gato_Solo

ClaireBear said:
Lopping off their heads!!!!! *shudder*

It's better than dropping them, uncleaned, into boiling oil, innit? Besides, you've got to scale and gut them first, and that will take care of most of the flippage. It's a lot faster than the death of a cow for beef, or a pig for bacon...

ClaireBear

Banned
Gato_Solo said:
It's better than dropping them, uncleaned, into boiling oil, innit? Besides, you've got to scale and gut them first, and that will take care of most of the flippage. It's a lot faster than the death of a cow for beef, or a pig for bacon...

But still... poor poor fishy... :crying4:

HomeLAN

I usually apply one quick hammer stroke to the head. That's got to be preferable to scaling them alive.

Gato_Solo

HomeLAN said:
I usually apply one quick hammer stroke to the head. That's got to be preferable to scaling them alive.

By the time they get scaled, they've already been gutted...hence, they are dead. You just have to have an extremely sharp knife to get through the initial scales. Once the knife is in a bit, it goes right through...sounds like a zipper. Besides...whacking them on the head can damage some of the meat...which makes a fine fish chowder. (You can parboil the head to get the flesh off of the jowels and 'forhead' area) Then pitch the rest. :shrug:

K62

A few things wrong with that. Removing the hook isn't always pretty or easy..

Nope, if they take the hook in too deep, or you jigg them with it can get very messy.

Gato_Solo,

I am hoping to spend a few weeks in Newfoundland this spring or summer. I hear that rock has some of the best fishing in the world!

Gato_Solo

K62 said:
I am hoping to spend a few weeks in Newfoundland this spring or summer. I hear that rock has some of the best fishing in the world!

I flew over, and briefly stayed, in Newfoundland, and it seems to have thousands of large, deep, lakes. I would hope the fishing is good there. ;)

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
K62 said:
Nope, if they take the hook in too deep, or you jigg them with it can get very messy.

Gato_Solo,

:rofl4:

The fishing is next to non existant. Well...I dunno about lake fishing...but if you wanna go fishing in the bay, for YUMMY YUMMY cod fish, you firstly will need to buy a fishing licence which comes with a limited number of tags for the west coast and a limited number for the east coast (10 for each if memory serves)...You are not allowed to jig at all I do not think (this saddens me...despite my mishap when I was younger with a jigger line getting caught in a propeller and pulling tight on my hand I still love it). 10 tags may not sound like a lot but you'll be damned lucky to get that many. Last time I was there during the summer my brother and 2 other people went out fishing like 4 or 5 days, I went with them one day...and my brother caught ONE fish, noone else caught anything...it's BRUTAL.

Gato_Solo

Leslie said:
I've seen it done.
Had to walk away.

Ate nothing that night.

The way I do it, or some yahoo just slapping the fish on a cutting board and whaling at it with a knife?

Gato_Solo

Leslie said:
The scaling before the gutting. I found it to be quite horrific.

So some yahoo slapping the fish on a cutting board and whaling at it with a knife. He showed no respect to tthe fish that's giving up it's life to nourish him. He might as well be a vegan. :p