omg n00b

unclehobart

Nah. I didn't give any kudzu as it is waaay dormant tis time of year. The living rootballs are too deep to dig up... and Canada would consider it an act of war.

unclehobart

In 1876 Kudzu was brought from Japan. In the 1930s it was planted extensively in southern states to control soil erosion. It not only controlled erosion, it smothered any plants in the surrounding area. As a vine, it grows densely and quickly. Primarily in southeastern states, Kudzu covers more than seven million acres and spreads to about 120,000 new acres each year with an average of $300 million in damage per year.

Kudzu is semi-woody and has large, trifoliate leaves. Its vines can grow up to one foot a day in every direction during early summer and travel more than 60 feet in one year. Huge starchy, tuberous roots weighing up to 300 pounds and reaching a depth of 12 feet in the soil aid its survival. It is not uncommon to have tens of thousands of plants per acre in established stands.

Inkara1

With kudzu, you have to always remember to keep the windows closed so it doesn't reach in at night and steal the baby.

Professur

chcr said:
You didn't let them give you any kudzu did you?

They didn't give it. I took a cutting off a vine at stone mountain. Seems it wasn't the kudzu I was after, but a tamer vine. I've a wild grape that I wanted to put head to head against the kudzu to see which would perform best given the harsh canadian kill back. My money's on the grape.

Professur

That depends on how the stems handle -20c. If the cells can't survive it, it can grow all it wants, it's never gonna get in more than a years growth at a time. And that massive rootball isn't safe just because it's underground. We freeze more than 4 feet down here.

tonksy

oops...I've been the queen of typos recently. I'm still giggling about that one i did in Mondo's welcome thread.