Paedophiles...where do we put them?

MrBishop

Paedophiles...once they've gone to jail and done their time, they're released and followed by a psychologist, they take their meds etc...BUT...where do they live?

The law says that you have to let the neighbourhood where they're going to be moving to, that they're going to be having a convicted paedohile in their area. So...the neighbourhood, of course, refuses to house them. They find a new area...those people get notified, they block...etc, ad infinitum.

IN the meanwhile...where do they go?

They paid their debt to society, they're followed by psychologists, medicated and checked on by the police. They can't live or go near schools, daycares etc...they should be allowed to live somewhere.

The question is Where?

tonksy

equal opportunity housing. it's the law. i had one move in down the street from me once...come to find out he had a record because his ex-girlfriends dad hated him and the week after he turned 18, he pressed charges, the girl was 16. poor bastard will have that on his record for the rest of his life.

Professur

MrBishop said:
They paid their debt to society,?

There's your first mistake. No, they didn't pay their debt to society. They endured their punishment, nothing more. The child doesn't get their innocence, or their virginity back.

Personally, tho. I'd welcome a scumbag like that into the neighbourhood. The entire neighbourhood would be safer once he's been made an example of. Wanna-be pedophiles would think more than twice.

MrBishop

Here's the thing...I wouldn't mind if one moved into my neighbourhood. Here's the rule of thumb "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer"/

This would be a person that I knew was a paedophile...that my neighbours knew as well. I could point them out to my kid and say "Keep away from him...don't talk to him, don't go to his place etc.." I could keep an eye on him and report him if he broke trust/parole, and send him back into a hole somewhere, far, far away.

Otherwise, you don't know whom you can trust...paedophiles don't wear special pins, drive certain cars and they don't look like 'child molestors"...that is, they don't have long greasy hair, zippers undone, look wierd etc...they look like you and I. If I know who is a paedophile...then I'm one step above the rest of the crowd, now ain't I?

Mirlyn

MrBishop said:
Otherwise, you don't know whom you can trust...paedophiles don't wear special pins, drive certain cars and they don't look like 'child molestors"...that is, they don't have long greasy hair, zippers undone, look wierd etc...they look like you and I. If I know who is a paedophile...then I'm one step above the rest of the crowd, now ain't I?
I think I heard about that kind of thing in History class....I believe they were called Nazis. :)

In many states (in this nation at least), its actually a requirement that the individual go door-to-door and introduce themselves and tell them of their charge/conviction. Others require flyers be placed.

I think this is an interesting subject. What if you didn't know before hand, but found out all of a sudden? Would you feel different about them? I'm sure if all of a sudden everyone here knew every detail of everyone else's history (whether it be caught or gotten away with), attitudes and friendships would change. Would that be fair?

Granted I'm not defending their illegal and disgusting actions...just playing devils advocate here. I think the worst that could be done is to publicly label them everywhere they go. They should have a chance to move on, as many convicts do now. Blow that chance, and thats it, no more society interaction.

Squiggy

ThunderDick
I have a problem accepting pedophiles as neighbors because it has proven to have a very low success rates in terms of rehabilitation. Meaning that most DO repeat their offense. I realize that consideration must be given to those wearing the brand due to a vengeful spouse or lover, and I would be quick to concede that prosecutors foam at the mouth for a chance to try one.... that lending to some dubious prosecutions...But if the grey areas are nonexistent, I don't trust that they've been rehabilitated.

Just an opinion....

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Yep, Pedophiles do have the lowest rehab rate, unless they are castrated, but even then some have been known to still grope, etc.

I would not want one living near my children, but if one did, I don't think I would do anything about it. Just keep my kids informed and away.

Inkara1

In California, if I remember right you only have to notify the neighborhood if it's a "high-risk" offender. I'm not sure you even have to do that. But if you want to know if there are any offenders in the area, you can go to the Sheriff's office and get on the Megan's Law computer in the lobby.

Oz

There has been a nonce "rehabilited" in a village close to where I live.

The yobs keep throwing bricks through his windows and, as far as I have heard, a couple of attempts have been made to burn his house down. So he won't be in that village very long, if he survives long enough to be rehoused somewhere.

Can't say it'll upset be if he gets barbecued.

Aunty Em

There's one two doors down from me... I know who he is, where he is and most of all make sure he never talks to or approaches my daughter.

Aunty Em

As the law in the UK stands, that is not an option. Nor it would seem, is locking them up for life. :(

Mare

MrBishop said:
Paedophiles...once they've gone to jail and done their time, they're released and followed by a psychologist, they take their meds etc...BUT...where do they live?

The law says that you have to let the neighbourhood where they're going to be moving to, that they're going to be having a convicted paedohile in their area. So...the neighbourhood, of course, refuses to house them. They find a new area...those people get notified, they block...etc, ad infinitum.

IN the meanwhile...where do they go?

They paid their debt to society, they're followed by psychologists, medicated and checked on by the police. They can't live or go near schools, daycares etc...they should be allowed to live somewhere.

The question is Where?

WOW- Bishop - You've been coming up with some pretty good threads here! :winkkiss:

CydCharisse

Hmmm....I think it would depend on the individual. If it's a serious offender, than he'she should be placed in a home for people of that sort, away from children. If it's a minor offender and can trusted not to do such a thing again, than he/she should be allowed to live where they want