Poll Finds Rare Optimism in Americans

valkyrie

AP Poll: Americans high on Obama, direction of US

By RON FOURNIER and TREVOR TOMPSON, Associated Press Writers Ron Fournier And Trevor Tompson, Associated Press Writers – 1 hr 5 mins ago
WASHINGTON –

For the first time in years, more Americans than not say the country is headed in the right direction, a sign that Barack Obama has used the first 100 days of his presidency to lift the public's mood and inspire hopes for a brighter future.

Intensely worried about their personal finances and medical expenses, Americans nonetheless appear realistic about the time Obama might need to turn things around, according to an Associated Press-GfK poll. It shows most Americans consider their new president to be a strong, ethical and empathetic leader who is working to change Washington.

Nobody knows how long the honeymoon will last, but Obama has clearly transformed the yes-we-can spirit of his candidacy into a tool of governance. His ability to inspire confidence — Obama's second book is titled "The Audacity of Hope" — has thus far buffered the president against the harsh political realities of two wars, a global economic meltdown and countless domestic challenges.

"He presents a very positive outlook," said Cheryl Wetherington, 35, an independent voter who runs a chocolate shop in Gardner, Kan. "He's very well-spoken and very vocal about what direction should be taken."

Other AP-GfK findings could signal trouble for Obama as he approaches his 100th day in office, April 29:

_While there is evidence that people feel more optimistic about the economy, 65 percent said it's difficult for them and their families to get ahead. More than one-third know of a family member who recently lost a job.

_More than 90 percent of Americans consider the economy an important issue, the highest ever in AP polling.

_Nearly 80 percent believe that the rising federal debt will hurt future generations, and Obama is getting mixed reviews at best for his handling of the issue.

And yet, the percentage of Americans saying the country is headed in the right direction rose to 48 percent, up from 40 percent in February. Forty-four percent say the nation is on the wrong track.

Not since January 2004, shortly after the capture of former Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein, has an AP survey found more "right direction" than "wrong direction" respondents. The burst of optimism didn't last long in 2004.

And it doesn't happen much.

Other than that blip five years ago, pessimism has trumped optimism in media polls since shortly after the invasion of Iraq in the spring of 2003.

The "right track" number topped "wrong direction" for a few months after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, according to non-AP media polls, and for several months late in the Clinton administration.

So far, Obama has defied the odds by producing a sustained trend toward optimism. It began with his election.

In October 2008, just 17 percent said the country was headed in the right direction. After his victory, that jumped to 36 percent. It dipped a bit in December but returned to 35 percent around the time of his inauguration and has headed upward since.

Obama is keenly aware that his political prospects are directly linked to such numbers. If at the end of his term the public is no more assured that Washington is competent and accountable and that the nation is at least on the right track, his re-election prospects will be doubtful.

Obama himself has conceded as much.

"I will be held accountable," he said a few weeks into his presidency. "You know, I've got four years. ... If I don't have this done in three years, then there's going to be a one-term proposition."

The AP-GfK poll suggests that 64 percent of the public approves of Obama's job performance, down just slightly from 67 percent in February. President George W. Bush's approval ratings hovered in the high 50s after his first 100 days in office.

But Obama has become a polarizing figure, with just 24 percent of Republicans approving of his performance — down from 33 percent in February. Obama campaigned on a promise to end the party-first mind-set that breeds gridlock in Washington.

Most Americans say it's too soon to tell whether he's delivered on his promise to change Washington. But twice as many say Obama is living up to his promises as those who say he's not (30 percent to 15 percent).

Worries about losing their jobs, facing major medical expenses, seeing investments dive and paying their bills remain high among Americans, the poll shows, just slightly lower than two months ago.

Still, seven in 10 Americans say it is reasonable to expect it to take longer than a year to see the results of Obama's economic policies.

Just as many people say Obama understands the concerns of ordinary Americans and cares about "people like you."

That's a sharp contrast to Bush, who won re-election in 2004 despite the fact that 54 percent of voters on that Election Day said he cared more about large corporations than ordinary Americans.

A majority of Americans believe the Obama administration is following higher ethical standards than the Bush administration.

Most also say he's changing things about the right amount and at the right speed. But nearly a third say he's trying to change too many things too quickly.

Obama is not the first president who sought to tap the deep well of American optimism — the never-say-die spirit that Americans like to see in themselves.

Even as he briefly closed the nation's banks, Franklin Delano Roosevelt spoke in the first days of his presidency of the "confidence and courage" needed to fix the U.S. economy. "Together we cannot fail," he declared.

In the malaise following Jimmy Carter's presidency, Ronald Reagan reminded people that America has always seen itself as a "shining city upon a hill," as one of its earliest leaders, John Winthrop, put it.

Obama started his presidency on a dour note, describing the U.S. economy in nearly apocalyptic terms for weeks as he pushed his $787 billion stimulus plan through Congress.

He turned the page in late February, telling a joint session of Congress and a television audience of millions: "We will rebuild. We will recover, and the United States of America will emerge stronger than before."

Of those who say the country is on the right track in the AP-GfK poll, 73 percent are Democrats, 17 percent are independents and 10 percent are Republicans.

"When Obama came in," said D.T. Brown, 39, a Mount Vernon, Ill., radio show host who voted against Obama, "it was just a breath of fresh air."

Others said their newfound optimism had nothing to do with Obama, but rather with an era of personal responsibility they believe has come with the economic meltdown.

"I think people are beginning to turn in that direction and realize that there's not always going to be somebody to catch them when things fall down," said Dwight Hageman, 66, a retired welder from Newberg, Ore., who voted against Obama.

The AP-GfK Poll was conducted April 16-20 by GfK Roper Public Affairs and Media. It involved telephone interviews on landline and cell phones with 1,000 adults nationwide. The margin of sampling error is plus or minus 3.1 percentage points.
I am a born skeptic. I read between the lines on everything. I found this article surprising at first but then thought about the people I work with and my friends. Even those that are hard-core Republicans don't seem to fret anymore and are upbeat about their future and the future of this country. I did not expect that because before the election, these people were in total DANGER mode about the collapse of this country if we elected Barak Obama.

I have seen my own humble retirement go from OK right into the shitter (to be fair, this was happening before the election). During the worst of it when the stock market was at the bottom feeding with the catfish I bought a few stocks I felt would recover and they did. I'm seeing profit again on that investment. :)

For me... the jury is still out on Barak Obama... sorry but it is. We'll see in 4 years. He is, after all, a politician... and all politicians are whores (some more than others [cough]Bush[/cough]). So far he's doing a decent job, IMO. (Not that anyone should go by my opinion, or yours! People should review the facts, make up their own minds and stop being political zombies [cough]Right-Wing Fascists[/cough] [cough]Leftist Fascists[/cough]).

Oh my! I need to get that cough looked at. ;)

valkyrie

There are other Economic Stimulus Packages ...
March 2008: Bush stimulus $29 billion for Bear Stearns/JP Morgan Chase deal
May 2008: Bush stimulus $178 billion in tax rebate checks
July 2008: Bush stimulus $300 billion for distressed homeowners
July 2008: Bush stimulus $200 billion for Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac
September 2008: Bush stimulus $50 billion to guarantee money market funds
September 2008: Bush stimulus $25 billion to Big 3 automakers
September-November 2008: Bush stimulus $150 billion to AIG
October 2008: Bush stimulus $700 billion to banks (TARP)
February 2009: Obama stimulus $787 billion in broad stimulus package
February 2009: Obama stimulus $75 billion for distressed homeowners
February 2009: Obama stimulus $200 billion for Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac
March 2009: Obama stimulus $30 billion for AIG
March 2009: Obama Stimulus $15 billion for small business lending
March 2009: Obama Stimulus $1 trillion to get toxic assets off bank’s troubled asset sheets
March 2009: Obama Stimulus $22 billion for Big 3 Automakers Chrysler and GM

Economic Stimulus Timelines

2minkey

bootlicker
stop being political zombies

why? it's voluntary and they love it!

how else does a lonely old lady in a midwestern trailer, or some dude who works as a cashier - people with boring, ordinary lives like the rest of us - feel like s/he part of something important?

zap! bang!
get them commies!
get those muslims!
stick it up their a-rab butts!
yeah!

all you need are some bumper stickers, some voluntary closing of the mind to create "bad guys" virtually everywhere, and a whole tub of lube so's one doesn't get raw while rubbing oneself to pictures of heston, smith and wesson, fallujah, precision-guided munitions, and pure, blond-haired christian babies?

-OR-

the equally ridiculous opposite, as seen in caricature here...

pamela20anderson20peta20from20people.jpg

Cerise

mirch5.jpg

The title of the AP story should read "Americans who are high favor 0bama".

Or "AP reporters who are high believe that 1000 people represent the views of 350 million."

1000 people were phoned. Not registered voters, not likely voters, just "adults". This poll is pure crap.

Do you consider yourself a:

'Rat = 46%
Repub = 28%

18% difference in oversampling.

By the way, here are the real Americans:

capt.8b9c6b4357f94243a4b22ed2cb036c90.tax_day_protests_california_caps104.jpg

They don't seem too "high" on 0bama.

Cerise

Booooosh! ain't here for you to kick around anymore.

Defend the current prezuz decisions. :shrug:

Altron

Yo dawg I heard you like economic stimulus so i put an economic stimulus in your economy so you can spend money while you save money.

spike

Bush ain't so far away. Just explain why you didn't make a big deal about it when he thought it was the best thing for the economy and now it's a big deal when Obama does it.

jimpeel

Bush ain't so far away. Just explain why you didn't make a big deal about it when he thought it was the best thing for the economy and now it's a big deal when Obama does it.

The Bush stimulus was a failure and Obama thinks he can improve on that. So far he has been able to make it a bigger failure so I guess you could call that success.

The Bush deficits were decried as miserable, horrible, and a threat to the future of our grandchildren. Obama thought he could improve on that, and he has. His deficits are many times that of the Bush administration.

H2O boy

Americans high on Obama

indeed they are. but a few are starting to sober up from it and look around and ask what the hell did i just do

kinda like ted kennedy holding car keys with wet shoes

spike

The Bush stimulus was a failure and Obama thinks he can improve on that. So far he has been able to make it a bigger failure so I guess you could call that success.

No the Bush stimulus was a moderate success in staving off further economic collapse. The Obama stimulus has been even a bigger success since it's better controlled.

spike

indeed they are. but a few are starting to sober up from it and look around and ask what the hell did i just do

Wish all you want but that popularity sure isn't sinking like you predicted. Good thing you backed out of that bet with me huh?

Winky

How far will you go
How low will you stoop
To tranquilize our minds with your sugar-coated swill?

Frank Probity

What a weak assed way to try, try, to pass the buck.
(Said in a whiney voice) Oh, Bush isn't here any more.
What a BULLWASTE excuse!!
Really now, is that the best refutation republicans can come up with?
So far, all America is hearing is whining poor loser republicans who remain in a state of denial over the mess, lives lost, lying, malfeasance of office and continued coverups by those and their party trying to deflect the biggest political scam since the tea pot dome scandal. Or possibly even worse. It won't be long before republicans bring up Clinton being convicted of perjury. What the hell, why not. After all, lying about a blow job under oath is far worse than lying about WMDs and other things in order to start a war.

So continue on republicans. Tell America how great your party is and tell us, again, and again, how we must overlook the state of the country because Bush is no longer in office. There have been some stupid and laughable reasons given to try to pass the buck onto President Obama but if it came to a comedy routine, the line "Bush ain't around anymore..." ranks right up there with the line from Clinton when he said: "it depends on what your definition of the word is, is."

Knock your selves out thinking that the repeated pronouncement of; "Bush ain't here for you to kick around anymore," but keep in mind his massive and inexcusable screw-ups are written with a firm hand in the journals of history, So yes, even your comment about Bush is inaccurate. Bush is here and will be here for many many years for anybody and everybody to kick around. It might help calm the waters and improve the situation republicans find themselves in today, if Cheney would quit trying to grab the spotlight and making a fool of himself. All Cheney is doing with his continued showmanship, is opening mouth and inserting foot, and keeping some of the bad stuff in the spotlight.

Winky

Commie boy, we are on the first page the first paragraph of the journal of history of the debacle that is the Osama Administration. Just as Clinton is remembered for Monica, the peanut farmer for the Iran hostage crisis, Hussein has yet to have the crisis that defines his Presidency. Trust me, this guy is going to be the worst President you people have ever plagued the country with…