Poll Finds Rare Optimism in Americans

spike

funny how perceptions change when one of your boys takes office.

Yes, perceptions have changed. Most of the country now approves of of the president and the direction the country is headed while the opposite was happening under your boy.

now if you want Ds all through life, just keep being stupid. some of us choose to stand above the barely acceptable pit

Obviously you don't or you wouldn't have supported that last pres.

As reported by WMSV Nashville:

19322250.jpg

Good thing you backed out of that bet.

valkyrie

If you prefer to keep it that simple, sure. The point I was hoping you would get out of it, though, is that the majority of Tennessee voted for McCain, but that part of Tennessee is more liberal than the state as a whole. The majority (population-wise) of California voted for Obama, but there are parts of the state that are more conservative. Thus, saying that Tennessee went Republican isn't really a good response to "Nashville is a liberal area."
Most of Tennessee went to the Republican candidate... Davidson county was 1 out of 6 counties (of a total of 95 counties in Tennessee) to vote for the Democratic candidate in the presidential elections of 2008 (59.9% for Barak Obama, 38.9% for John McCain, 1.3% for "Other").
Tennessee Results - 2008 Presidential Election

spike

I would also think that a Nashville station reaches more than just Nashville. I'm guessing their audience includes a pretty wide swath of the surrounding area.

Since it was an online poll it's even less confined to the Nashville area as well as being subject to the common online tampering techniques like "hey everybody go here and vote this way" or just clearing your cookies and voting multiple times.

valkyrie

I would also think that a Nashville station reaches more than just Nashville. I'm guessing their audience includes a pretty wide swath of the surrounding area.

Since it was an online poll it's even less confined to the Nashville area as well as being subject to the common online tampering techniques like "hey everybody go here and vote this way" or just clearing your cookies and voting multiple times.
That's true. It's hard to keep online polls clean. They should be taken with a grain of salt, as the saying goes. This goes especially true if the opinion pole is taken from a specific target area to represent an entire nation. I would no more take this poll seriously than I would a poll from Berkley, CA (on anything).

Davidson County is deeply surrounded and your theory about participants may be partly correct.

In addition, WSMV Television broadcasts to the surrounding counties, not just Nashville. It seems to be a more conservative station. One point is the refusal to carry the NBC TV series The Book of Daniel which received a lot of criticism from the Conservative Christian community (to the point of "The American Family Association" accusing NBC of being Anti-Christian).

Frank Probity

now if you want Ds all through life, just keep being stupid. some of us choose to stand above the barely acceptable pit you inhabit so gleefully, on your second attempt no less. so until you can climb out of the primordial ooze of barely scraping by, let the grown ups talk awhile, mkay? heres a lolly, go color something

H2Oboy, your use of an assumption jumps out as idiocy.

For when someone a-s-s-u-m-e-s, they make an ass of themselves.
Since you do not know me, you do not know what you are talking about neither is it expected you would understand: But trust me on this one, your a-s-s-u-m-p-t-i-o-n does not support the intelligence you so desperately want others to think you possess.
FWIW, I can back up what I am alluding to. Can you say the same? HEY!! I've got a great idea!! Want to go toe to toe with achievements, education, barely acceptable pit of life, etc.? You game?

By the way, what's the standing on that bet with Spike? I had requested a part of that but despite all the chest pounding and braggadocio from H2Oboy, we never heard any more about it.
Care to bring us up to date? Or is this one more situation of open mouth, insert foot, make an a-s-s of yourself.

MrBishop

Clear some space on the table...there's a dick-measuring contest that's about to begin :rolleyes:

If it still took brains to get into University instead of a deep pocket-book, we'd be a damn sight better off in our schools...and yes, I am knocking myself in that particular swipe.

Just call me Mr.B.A in nothing particularly useful. Hell, the only time that my Education comes in handy is during online arguments. I get one hellovalot more mileage on my 'certification' than I'm likely to get out of my major/minor.

Since you do not know me, you do not know what you are talking about neither is it expected you would understand: But trust me on this one, your a-s-s-u-m-p-t-i-o-n does not support the intelligence you so desperately want others to think you possess.
FWIW, I can back up what I am alluding to. Can you say the same? HEY!! I've got a great idea!! Want to go toe to toe with achievements, education, barely acceptable pit of life, etc.? You game?

By the way, what's the standing on that bet with Spike? I had requested a part of that but despite all the chest pounding and braggadocio from H2Oboy, we never heard any more about it.
Care to bring us up to date? Or is this one more situation of open mouth, insert foot, make an a-s-s of yourself.

Making an ass out of himself is very short work indeed for vapid boy!

And that handle, "the smart one", is that in relation to various species of fungus and mold? It certainly isn't by comparison of many others here! Perhaps he means smart ass?

H2O boy

Since you do not know me, you do not know what you are talking about neither is it expected you would understand:

flows both ways sister

But trust me on this one,

oh but you are to be trusted when no one else is. since you like spelling things out, thats called h-y-p-o-c-r-i-s-y

your a-s-s-u-m-p-t-i-o-n does not support the intelligence you so desperately want others to think you possess.

anytime sunshine

i made better than Ds in school the first time. lets start there shall we?

n-o, i-t-s c-a-l-l-e-d N-O-Y-B. c-l-e-a-r e-n-o-u-g-h? o-r d-o i n-e-e-d t-o d-r-a-w y-o-u a p-i-c-t-u-r-e?

H2O boy

Clear some space on the table...there's a dick-measuring contest that's about to begin :rolleyes:

If it still took brains to get into University instead of a deep pocket-book, we'd be a damn sight better off in our schools...and yes, I am knocking myself in that particular swipe.

Just call me Mr.B.A in nothing particularly useful. Hell, the only time that my Education comes in handy is during online arguments. I get one hellovalot more mileage on my 'certification' than I'm likely to get out of my major/minor.

the amazing thing is, im using mine through this entire debacle

MrBishop

well, it's a BA. did you actually expect it to be useful?

shit MBAs are only useful as formalities.
I expected to come out of it with enough credits plus the BA, and be able to teach humanities at a HS level. That changed shortly before I got my degree... new rules for teachers.

BA + teaching Certif = Not enough sunshine. They started asking for a B.Ed+ BA in Topic for HS. OR a Masters for CEGEP (Sr. HS, I think is the US equivalent) OR a Doctorate for University. *Please note that the last two assumes that you're smart enough to teach students *despite* the lack of having any Education credits under your belt.

:glasses3:

2minkey

bootlicker
you actually wanted to deal with HS kiddies?

i had a roommate that taught HS english and she was thinking about going back to waitressing - which she viewed as superior in the personal dignity department even with all the boobie-staring - about 3 weeks into it...

Frank Probity

oh but you are to be trusted when no one else is. since you like spelling things out, thats called h-y-p-o-c-r-i-s-y

DAMN! There is no hypocrisy involved because there you go again, a-s-s-u-m-i-n-g.
Who said I didn't trust anyone else? Not me. You did. And that is an assumption, which it is my pleasure to remind you, means you made an ass of yourself, again! And H2Oboy didn't wait to see what the deal was before jumping in with that superior intelligence thing. Guess they didn't teach that patience is a virtue in one of those high falutin' institutions of greater learning you got better than a "D" in. Because that wasn't very smart.

anytime sunshine i made better than Ds in school the first time. lets start there shall we?
Okay. Let's start there. Guess I lose round one.
Now see, I am willing to trust you (no hypocrisy there) on that one so let's advance. But from here on in, each of us must present proof. Still game?

n-o, i-t-s c-a-l-l-e-d N-O-Y-B. c-l-e-a-r e-n-o-u-g-h? o-r d-o i n-e-e-d t-o d-r-a-w y-o-u a p-i-c-t-u-r-e?

DADGUMMIT H2Oboy!!! Don't you recall the chain of events? It was you who threw out a challenge on a previous thread that both Spike and I called you on. And because you opened the door with the challenge, that made it my business.
Looks like all that education and superior intelligence you keep droning on about might have bought you book smarts but it sure as hell left you standing with your rear flank exposed.