Poll Finds Rare Optimism in Americans

2minkey

bootlicker
If you say so. :rolleyes:

yup.

[peel]

A fallacy is an argument that is not logically sound. The truth of the conclusions of an argument does not determine whether the argument is a fallacy - it is the argument which is fallacious.
Fallacies can be categorized in a number of ways, including:

A formal fallacy relies on an incorrect logical step. An informal fallacy does not rely on incorrect logical deduction.
Verbal fallacies use some property of language to mislead. For example, ambiguity or verbosity. Fallacies are also often concerned with causality, which is not strictly addressed by logic. They may also involve implicit (or unstated) assumptions.

Fallacies often exploit emotional triggers in the listener or interlocutor. For example, an argument may appeal to patriotism or family or may exploit an intellectual weakness of the listener. Fallacious arguments may also take advantage of social relationships between people. For example, citing support of important individuals to encourage listeners to agree with a conclusion.

Considered by themselves, fallacies can often seem obvious. However, arguments are often structured using rhetorical patterns that obscure the logical argument - deliberately or not - making observing fallacies difficult. Also, the component parts of the fallacy may be spread over a large period of time.

[/peel]

Cerise

Ohhhhhh.

I was just going with dictionary.com's definition of "a deceptive or false appearance; deceitfulness; that which misleads the eye or the mind; deception." :shrug:

MrBishop

Ohhhhhh.

I was just going with dictionary.com's definition of "a deceptive or false appearance; deceitfulness; that which misleads the eye or the mind; deception." :shrug:
1. a deceptive, misleading, or false notion, belief, etc.: That the world is flat was at one time a popular fallacy.
2. a misleading or unsound argument.
3. deceptive, misleading, or false nature; erroneousness.
4. Logic. any of various types of erroneous reasoning that render arguments logically unsound.
5. Obsolete. deception.

2minkey

bootlicker
Ohhhhhh.

right. and that would be the mistake that many make in relying on a simple, decontextualized dictionary dekrapitance.

valkyrie

<<snippety snip>>
The Fox poll shows <<blabberings that make no sense>>

The OP says "Americans High on Obama" and the poll states that "48 percent of Americans believe the United States is headed in the right direction — compared with 44 percent who disagree". It sounds like they polled the whole country, and that's just another example of the bias that Yahoo pushes and would like people to swallow.
It seems you do not have an understanding of what an opinion poll is.

Opinion Poll - the questioning of a random sample of people to find out the general opinion.

It is not possible to take the opinion of every citizen of the US. (And seriously, if you really think they should you are completely retarded.) I agree that the people with a positive attitude toward the direction of the U.S. does not represent you. You are one of those that has a negative attitude toward the direction of the U.S., but you are still represented in the sampling.

Do you understand now? (This is like talking to a confused toddler.)

Since you have converted "Democrat" to "'rat", I'm going to convert "Republican" to "Re-pube-i-cunt" (or "Republi-cunt"). OK?

Cerise

Since you have converted "Democrat" to "'rat", I'm going to convert "Republican" to "Re-pube-i-cunt" (or "Republi-cunt"). OK?

:rolleyes:

If you say so.

Be aware that the word "rat" is the last 3 letters in democ"rat"

But the word "cunt" is nowhere to be found in the word "Republican."

Not sure what the perceived parental slight from childhood that you're trying to work through is, but if it makes you feel better to confront it here, then you do what you think is best.

:shrug:

spike

Not the same.

The Fox poll shows that over half of those respondents identified as 'rats didn't want the president to succeed in a time of war. It reflects the deep hatred the 'rats possess and the partisan divide that was widened by the left.

The OP says "Americans High on Obama" and the poll states that "48 percent of Americans believe the United States is headed in the right direction — compared with 44 percent who disagree". It sounds like they polled the whole country, and that's just another example of the bias that Yahoo pushes and would like people to swallow.

No both are polls. Yours has a smaller polling sample than the one you're complaining. You're trying to make it out like yours is reflective of the nation while this one is meaningless. You can't have it both ways.

I can't imagine why you are even surprised by this poll's results. The election showed what American's are favoring.

valkyrie

:rolleyes:

If you say so.

Be aware that the word "rat" is the last 3 letters in democ"rat"

But the word "cunt" is nowhere to be found in the word "Republican."

Not sure what the perceived parental slight from childhood that you're trying to work through is, but if it makes you feel better to confront it here, then you do what you think is best.

:shrug:
:lol2:
How does that hook taste, Cerise?
724-411~Fish-Hanging-from-Hook-Northeast-Coast-Island-of-Praslin-Seychelles-Indian-Ocean-Africa-Posters.jpg

spike

The election proves that there's a sucker born every minute. :shrug:

Yep there were a bunch of suckers that backed McCain and thought he would win.

You've been proven wrong again Cerise. You ready to do your normal run away thing yet?

H2O boy

The election showed what American's are favoring.

no dumbass it showed what they were thinking on that day. consider this from wsmv television in nashville

What grade would you give President Barack Obama on his performance in his first 100 days in office?
Choice Votes Percentage of 25349 Votes
A 5554 22%
B 3929 15%
C 2821 11%
D 5205 21%
F 7840 31%

but im sure thats a biased poll in some mysterious way, right mr president?

2minkey

bootlicker
no dumbass it showed what they were thinking on that day. consider this from wsmv television in nashville

well, who did they ask? do you have any details of the sample? did respondents have to meet any screening criteria? was it an online poll? was the poll listed as a "fire mission" on any websites?

Frank Probity

The poll must be biased. It proves Obama is doing very well in Nashville. Considering that of the 25,000 plus polled, President Obama was given a passing grade by 77.7 percent of those polled. Only 22.3 percent gave him a failing grade. That is just slightly more than the estimated number of right wing republicans there are left in the U.S..

Considering the poll is based on grades from A through F, with D being a 70, a passing grade, Obama came out pretty good in Nashville.

2minkey

bootlicker
The poll must be biased. It proves Obama is doing very well in Nashville. Considering that of the 25,000 plus polled, President Obama was given a passing grade by 77.7 percent of those polled. Only 22.3 percent gave him a failing grade. That is just slightly more than the estimated number of right wing republicans there are left in the U.S..

Considering the poll is based on grades from A through F, with D being a 70, a passing grade, Obama came out pretty good in Nashville.

um, you're really reaching on this one, dude. and "D" is usually 60-69 range. and if you think a C or D means "good" in any sense, well, you're just reaching on this one.

valkyrie

Wow... that's fucking awesome! Considering Tennessee voters voted overwhelmingly for the McCain/Palin ticket in the 2008 presidential election (56.9%) This may indicate that more people are tearing down the veil of bi-partisanship (finally). 77.7% giving him a passing grade is totally unexpected from Tennessee! :eek: Impressive. Very impressive. :)
McCain wins Tennessee....

Frank Probity

um, you're really reaching on this one, dude. and "D" is usually 60-69 range. and if you think a C or D means "good" in any sense, well, you're just reaching on this one.

I guess it is all in the eyes of the beholder but where I go to college, a 70 is passing. A 69 and lower is an "F". I'm glad to just get a "C" although my grades now are in the "B+" range. Considering my first run at higher education resulted in a series of "D" and "F" grades, things are better the second time around. But I digress.
No mater how you want to reason with the numbers, even a 60 is decent considering that President Obama is in the 60 percentile of popularity so IMO the poll is fairly accurate.
Glad to see you make your point in a respectable manner though. That is always worth a few extra points. :)

H2O boy

I guess it is all in the eyes of the beholder but where I go to college, a 70 is passing. A 69 and lower is an "F". I'm glad to just get a "C" although my grades now are in the "B+" range. Considering my first run at higher education resulted in a series of "D" and "F" grades, things are better the second time around. But I digress.
No mater how you want to reason with the numbers, even a 60 is decent considering that President Obama is in the 60 percentile of popularity so IMO the poll is fairly accurate.
Glad to see you make your point in a respectable manner though. That is always worth a few extra points. :)

i just love it when it all comes full circle

H2O boy

52% of the respondants gave him a D or worse. and you slobberheads call that a rousing success.

come to think i guess you would call it a success

i mean some of you cannot even differentiate between a score and a percentile. on your second trip through college, when youre thrilled to get a C because its so much better than your first try. and we wonder how this oatmeal head got elected

in a nation of idiots, its small wonder one got elected leader

too bad the rest of us have to suffer through it

H2O boy

well, who did they ask?

anyone who wanted to answer

do you have any details of the sample?

yes. its people who watch wsmv television in nashville, a democrat-majority region of tennessee, who also have enough intelligence to read, operate a computer, and follow directions enough to answer the poll. as of the time i checked it, 25349 people had done so, well over the number required to establish statistical significance of population.

did respondents have to meet any screening criteria?

is there any reason they should have to? or do we wish to stack the deck?

was it an online poll?

yes, as are so many others

was the poll listed as a "fire mission" on any websites?

i have no idea. i didnt feel compelled to search the entire internet to see if al franken liked the damn thing or not. if you feel led to do so, please, by all means knock yourself out

or maybe just maybe the data could speak for itself without being pelosi approved. there is a glimmer of hope that some intelligent life form could maybe look at the numbers and see what is represented therein without needing to place an asterisk beside it and try to denounce the opinions of over 25000 people just so hussein can look good. we dont need that, katie couric et al have the market cornered anyway. so i shall assume that it is far to much to expect one to think for themselves; rather, we need a pundit to spin the numbers in husseins favor befpre we can accept them

fucking sheep