Possible OTC get together in Toronto?

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
I don't think I'll be able to make a get together. Wish I could, but the funds are low, the work is heavy, and the kids are screaming.

Scanty

In all honesty...does anyone actually want an otc meet up? Because I could hardly imagine this place being the same anymore, with everyone here knowing what the others are really like. :D

Scanty

Ardsgaine said:
PuterTutor said:
Ummm. This IS what I'm really like.

Ditto.

It was kind of a joke, you know.

But if you guys want to be serious about what I said - I would say that everyone forms an impression of everyone else on the board, and that impression is never going to be entirely accurate. You couldn't possibly know everything about a person from their posts, so there are always going to be little surprises. That's all. It's got nothing to do with whether you're being yourself.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
But I've been stal.... er I mean, paying attention to you really close, and I think I have a pretty good idea what you are like. I do see what you are saying, but I think you might be surprised to see just how genuine most of us are. I think the biggest thing you will find is what Unc said, we all tend to be a bit more extroverted here than we are in RL, but that's to be expected.

Scanty

PuterTutor said:
But I've been stal.... er I mean, paying attention to you really close, and I think I have a pretty good idea what you are like. I do see what you are saying, but I think you might be surprised to see just how genuine most of us are. I think the biggest thing you will find is what Unc said, we all tend to be a bit more extroverted here than we are in RL, but that's to be expected.

No, I realise that most people here are probably completely geniune. In fact, I've always thought of you lot as pretty much acting like yourselves.
I still wouldn't say that I knew even 1% of what you were really like, though. I'm more wary of people than that. And I don't want this to sound unkind, because it's not meant to be, PT....but seriously, you don't have a pretty good idea of what I'm like. I only say that because I'm inclined to think that, even if you met me, you still wouldn't have a good idea of what I'm like. ;)

But anyway...it was meant to be a joke. You know...how we could all just be a bunch of sweaty old bastards?

Ardsgaine

Scanty said:
But anyway...it was meant to be a joke. You know...how we could all just be a bunch of sweaty old bastards?

Speaking only for myself, I promise you that I am not sweaty... ;)

greenfreak

Scanty said:
But if you guys want to be serious about what I said - I would say that everyone forms an impression of everyone else on the board, and that impression is never going to be entirely accurate. You couldn't possibly know everything about a person from their posts, so there are always going to be little surprises. That's all. It's got nothing to do with whether you're being yourself.

I think you're right about that. I've met a few people over the years who I knew on the internet, and even spoke to them in length on the phone. But when meeting someone, you have an entire different dymanic--instant reaction. Here, you can form your words and reactions in your own time--you can't do that face to face. Your tone of voice, facial expressions, body language all say something more than just words typed on a screen. There have been times where I thought I knew someone pretty well and then I met them and they were so unlike the person I knew in type, that it was scary. Then there were people who were better than I thought and pleasantly surprised me.

You're also now fitting what you know about a person in print to a voice and a face. It can be very disconcerting. You have to remember that they're the same person, and try to merge them into one.

Anyway, if I take any trip this year, it will probably be to Florida to visit my parents before the winter is done with. Airfare is cheap right now and I have vacation available. It's nice to spend a week in the warmth when it's bitterly cold in NY. :)

S

s4

couldn't we all meet in Hicksville instead? they need volunteers to roll up the sidewalks and cop snoopers to drive around for them. currently they only have one 82 year old man named Murray.:D