Quotations

Liliandra

"Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for." Earl Warren (1891-1974)

"Facts are facts and will not disappear on account of your likes." Jawaharlal Nehru (1889-1964)

chcr

Too cute for words
"Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservative."
- John Stuart Mill (1806-1873)

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Union soldier upon capture of an unidentified Confederate soldier: "I don't understand you. You are barely clothed, you have no food, no money. You came from a farm in Virginia. You never owned a slave in your life. Why are you fighting?"

Reply: "Because you're down here."

And THAT, friends and neighbors, about sums up the whole mess.

Liliandra

Everybody knows if you are too careful you are so occupied in being careful that you are sure to stumble over something. ~ Gertrude Stein Everybody's Autobiography, 1937 US author in France (1874 - 1946)

rrfield

SouthernN'Proud said:
Union soldier upon capture of an unidentified Confederate soldier: "I don't understand you. You are barely clothed, you have no food, no money. You came from a farm in Virginia. You never owned a slave in your life. Why are you fighting?"

Reply: "Because you're down here."

And THAT, friends and neighbors, about sums up the whole mess.

History tends to repeat itself...this could easily be rewritten...

American soldier upon capture of an unidentified Iraqi Insurgent: "I don't understand you. You are barely clothed, you have no food, no money. You came from a desert in the Sunni Triangle. You never owned anything in your life. Why are you fighting?"

Reply: "Because you're over here."

just an observation

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
With one caveat. Some try to pawn off the misdeeds of the Lincoln despotism as a crusade against slavery. It clearly wasn't. I haven't seen anyone try and pawn off Iraq as a crusade against Iraqis owning anything.

Just another observation. We now return you to your regularly scheduled quotation thread, already in progress...

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
chcr said:
"Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservative."
- John Stuart Mill (1806-1873)

The only type of discipline that works 100% of the time is self-discipline.
---Gato_Solo (1962- ) :p

Liliandra

Knowing who to ask is just as good as knowing the answer yourself, never be afraid to ask a question, it would only mean you know one more answer" ~Liliandra Daily thought e-mails

HomeLAN

Gato_Solo said:
The only type of discipline that works 100% of the time is self-discipline.
---Gato_Solo (1962- ) :p

That's a paraphrase of Heinlein in "Starship Troopers" (the book, not the cheasy flick).

chcr

Too cute for words
"Anyone who cannot cope with mathematics is not fully human, but is at best a tolerable sub-human who has learned to tie his shoes and not make messes around the house."

--Lazarus Long

MrBishop

A rattlesnake, if cornered will become so angry it will bite itself. That is exactly what the harboring of hate and resentment against others is - a biting of oneself. We think we are harming others in holding these spites and hates, but the deeper harm is to ourselves.
E. Stanley Jones

MrBishop

"When a liberal is abused, he says: Thank God they didn't beat me. When he is beaten, he thanks God they didn't kill him. When he is killed, he will thank God that his immortal soul has been delivered from its mortal clay."
Lenin

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
From a speech delivered to the US House of Representatives by former Tennessee Representative Edward Ward Carmack. Date unknown.

"The South is a land that has known sorrows; it is a land that has broken the ashen crust and moistened it with tears; a land scarred and riven by the plowshare of war and billowed with the graves of her dead; but a land of legend, a land of song, a land of hallowed and heroic memories.

To that land every drop of my blood, every fiber of my being, every pulsation of my heart, is consecrated forever. I was born of her womb; I was nurtured at her breast; and when my last hour shall come, I pray God that I may be pillowed upon her bosom and rocked to sleep within her tender and encircling arms."

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
You want to clean the house some tonight when we get home from work?
Ok, I'll watch.

paul_valaru

:tomato: