Quotations

Liliandra

Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive music. ~Marcus Brigstocke

Winky

I did it to myself. It wasn't society... it wasn't a pusher, it wasn't being blind or being black or being poor. It was all my doing.

Ray Charles

Liliandra

Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive music. ~Marcus Brigstocke

Liliandra

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. ~Douglas Adams, "Last Chance to See" English humorist & science fiction novelist (1952 - 2001)

chcr

Too cute for words
A few of my favorite political quotes:

The word 'politics' is derived from the word 'poly', meaning 'many', and the word 'ticks', meaning 'blood sucking parasites'. --Larry Hardiman

Politics is the art of preventing people from taking part in affairs which properly concern them. --Paul Valery

The more you read and observe about this Politics thing, you got to admit that each party is worse than the other. The one that's out always looks the best. --Will Rogers

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first. --Ronald Reagan

Winky

"It always seemed strange to me that the things we admire in men, kindness and generosity, openness, honesty, understanding and feeling are the concomitants of failure in our system.
And those traits we detest, sharpness, greed, aquisitiveness, meanness, egotism and selfinterest are the traits of sucess. And while men admire the quality of the first, they love the produce of the second."

Steinbeck

Liliandra

It is a fine thing to establish one's own religion in one's heart, not to be dependent on tradition and second-hand ideals. Life will seem to you, later, not a lesser, but a greater thing. ~D. H. Lawrence English novelist (1885 - 1930)

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
"You have no right to ask, or expect that she will at once profess unbounded love to that Union from which for four years she tried to escape at the cost of her best blood and all her treasure. Nor can you believe her to be so unutterably hypocritical, so base, as to declare that the flag of the Union has already surpassed in her heart the place which has so long been sacred to the Southern Cross." - Wade Hampton

Liliandra

You are not here merely to make a living. You are here to enable the world to live more amply, with greater vision, and with a finer spirit of hope and achievement. You are here to enrich the world. You impoverish yourself if you forget this errand. ~Woodrow Wilson 28th president of US (1856 - 1924)

Winky

Hopefully you detect the altruistic message in that Wilson quote.

Politics [is] the art of achieving the maximum amount of freedom for individuals
that is consistent with the maintenance of social order.

Barry Goldwater

Liliandra

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson US essayist & poet (1803 - 1882)

Liliandra

Getting fired is nature's way to telling you that you had the wrong job in the first place. ~Hal Lancaster, in The Wall Street Journal

Liliandra

Men who never get carried away should be. ~Malcolm Forbes US art collector, author, & publisher (1919 - 1990)