Quotations

Liliandra

Nobody sees a flower - really - it is so small it takes time - we haven't time - and to see takes time, like to have a friend takes time. ~Georgia O'Keeffe US painter of Southwestern motifs (1887 - 1986)

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
"The Northern onslaught upon slavery was no more than a piece of specious humbug designed to conceal its desire for economic control of the Southern states." .... Charles Dickens

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
"My shoes are gone; my clothes are almost gone. I'm weary, I'm sick, I'm hungry. My family have been killed or scattered. And I have suffered all this for my country. I love my country. But if this war is ever over, I'll be damned if I ever love another country."

anonymous Confederate Soldier During Retreat To Appomattox

MrBishop

"A wise person does at once, what a fool does at last. Both do the same thing; only at different times. " Lord Acton

Winky

Mankind is divided into rich and poor, into property owners and exploited; and to abstract oneself from this fundamental division ;and from the antagonism between poor and rich means abstracting oneself from fundamental facts.
Josef Stalin

Winky

"Be willing to make decisions. That's the most important quality in a good leader.
Don't fall victim to what I call the "ready-aim-aim-aim syndrome."

You must be willing to fire.

T. Boone Pickens

Winky

"Quantum mechanics is very impressive,"
Albert Einstein wrote in 1926.
"But an inner voice tells me that it is not yet the real thing."

chcr

Too cute for words
"We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then blames them for his own mistakes."

--Gene Roddenberry

Winky

"Nothing in life is certain except death, taxes and the second law of thermodynamics. All three are processes in which useful or accessible forms of some quantity, such as energy or money, are transformed into useless, inaccessible forms of the same quantity. That is not to say that these three processes don't have fringe benefits: taxes pay for roads and schools; the second law of thermodynamics drives cars, computers and metabolism; and death, at the very least, opens up tenured faculty positions"---Seth Lloyd, writing in Nature

MrBishop

"The Americans will always do the right thing... after they've exhausted all the alternatives. " - Winston Churchill

"There are three ways to get something done: do it yourself, hire someone, or forbid your kids to do it." - Monta Crane

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." - Groucho Marx

MrBishop

Liliandra said:
Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive music. ~Marcus Brigstocke
Ye gods! Proof that Computer games affect kids!!

chcr

Too cute for words
"I have a fantasy where Ted Turner is elected President but refuses because he doesn't want to give up power."
Arthur C. Clarke

chcr

Too cute for words
"A great many people think they are thinking when they are actually rearranging their prejudices."
- William James (1842-1910)

Winky

“Therefore, to him who knows to do good
and does not do it,
to him it is sin.”

James 4:17