Recession? We don' need no steenkeen recession!

2minkey

bootlicker
i'm occasionally quoted by the press. does that count?

p.s. most economists think the US is in a recession. but i'm sure you know more than they do. and even if we aren't technically (and i personally don't think we are), there's tons of other economic stuffs to be concerned about.

MrBishop

Here's some nice math for you to chew on.
American GDP - $13Trillion
Economic stimulus checks - $150Billion

That's .86% - Growth created by dumping money into the economy (remember my example about GVT trying to kick start the economy by hiring people to work -thus giving them money they can spend?) *The stimulus checks are exactly that, but the GVT isn't expecting people to work for it. It's just given out.

Just the fact that your GVT thinks that it needs to give out stimulus checks to drive the economy up (increase spending) should be a flag.

It's just a shame that the majority of the money being spent is being spent on products made outside the USA (China and the Middle-East). Yes, the Walmarts and Opel stations are making their cut - but the lion's share is going overseas. (Increasing those nation's GNP)

In the 1930's - the majority of product on shelves were American made, so the money stayed inside the USA. It affected more people because it circulated around longer.

:shrug:

MrBishop

It's still 'money' - which is why the prices of Gold and Silver are excellent indicators of how the economy is doing. The worst the economy gets, the more people dump stocks and buy gold/silver - and the prices of those two go up. :shrug:

Besides...you'll have to bring back scales in stores just in case someone is trimming off the coins.

At the going rate for gold, a dollar coin would be roughly the size of a grain of rice.

Edit: Gold $881./ oz
$1 = 1/881th of an ounce.

spike

And an example of that would be ...

I don't even have to search for that one. I think it was just yesterday that you generalized all people with "will work for food signs" as not really willing to work for food.

Also, although you were unwilling to answer the question of what your point was, I believe you were attempting to generalize all green power as profiteering if only you could prove that Pickens was.

Also, you're always trying to make broad generalizations about gun laws from specific examples.

Geez Jim, generalizing from specific examples is kind of a constant with you.

jimpeel

I don't even have to search for that one. I think it was just yesterday that you generalized all people with "will work for food signs" as not really willing to work for food.

Bingo! There's the non answer right on cue.

What I said, and you need to read for context, was this:

Ya (that would be you) ever try to hire one of those guys? They will do anything not to get real work; and if you try to get them to mow a lawn or clean out a garage they will tell you about the bone spurs in their feet and their bad back.

Channel 4 Los Angeles did an expose on these types who sit at the end of an offramp with their "will work for food" signs. They tried to hire several of them and every one of them declined even the most menial task. The excuses were exactly the ones I gave in the previous post.

They followed one of these guys who used to set up at the 91 freeway and Orangethorpe Ave in Orange County. He was there every day as that was his designated spot.

They watched him all day and estimated his "take" based on filming what motorists gave him. Some gave bills, some gave change.

At the end of the day, they followed him to the bus stop where he boarded a bus. They figured he was going to a shelter or his digs under a bridge or whatever. He got off the bus at a Park n' Ride and got into a new ford F-150 pickup truck and drove to a large house in Laguna Nigel which is a wealthy coastal community in Orange County. The houses at that time were in the $400k range. They went to the door and knocked and tried to ask him about his panhandling and he slammed the door in their faces.

So, yes, there is ample evidence that these people are far more interested in panhandling than working as they claim they wish to do.

Also, although you were unwilling to answer the question of what your point was, I believe you were attempting to generalize all green power as profiteering if only you could prove that Pickens was.

I could tell you the point all day long and all day long you would claim that I failed to tell you my point. So what's the point in my doing so?

Also, you're always trying to make broad generalizations about gun laws from specific examples.

So if the specific example is a firearm law that seeks the banning of certain weapons, and the authors claim that this will be a model for the nation, I shouldn't take them at their word that this is a general attempt at banning firearms?

Geez Jim, generalizing from specific examples is kind of a constant with you.

Says you.

spike

Bingo! There's the non answer right on cue.

Bullshit, I gave 3 examples. Are you paying attention?

Channel 4 Los Angeles did an expose on these types who sit at the end of an offramp with their "will work for food" signs. They tried to hire several of them and every one of them declined even the most menial task.

See there ya go. Generalizing "a few" into "all". Point proven.

A friend of mine who is a contractor has actually hired one of those guys for several days. Had him dig up a stump.

He ended up giving him money and food after the guy worked his ass off. So now I can generalize that one into "all"....right?

I could tell you the point all day long and all day long you would claim that I failed to tell you my point.

You say that, yet every time I ask you for your point you avoid the question all day long. No sense in generalizing the future when you haven't even tried it once.

So if the specific example is a firearm law that seeks the banning of certain weapons, and the authors claim that this will be a model for the nation, I shouldn't take them at their word that this is a general attempt at banning firearms?

When did that happen? I was talking about you using examples of specific crimes. But go ahead.

Says you.

There's really no shortage of examples. Take this one where you actually made a gigantic stretch trying to use something that happened in our current healthcare system as "the norm" of what happens under universal healthcare. :laugh:

You're not going to get far trying to deny this Jimbo.

jimpeel

Bullshit, I gave 3 examples. Are you paying attention?

You gave no examples. You made unsubstantiated accusations.

See there ya go. Generalizing "a few" into "all". Point proven.

Where did I say that the Channel 4 news team tried to hire "all" of these people. I clearly ststed that they tried to hire "some" of these guys and your quote of the statement proves that.

A friend of mine who is a contractor has actually hired one of those guys for several days. Had him dig up a stump.

He ended up giving him money and food after the guy worked his ass off. So now I can generalize that one into "all"....right?

You are the one using the word "all" with frightening regularity so you just go right ahead.

You say that, yet every time I ask you for your point you avoid the question all day long. No sense in generalizing the future when you haven't even tried it once.

Why do you think you are on ignore? I just bring you up occasionally when I'm bored to see if you have learned anything from your exploits here. Seems not but I'll keep trying once in a while.

When did that happen? I was talking about you using examples of specific crimes. But go ahead.

It iws no small wonder that you know nothing of this. You listen to the talking heads on TV and take what they say as gospel. I supply you with links and you refuse to follow them so is it any wonder you are ignorant and uneducated on the subject of firearms?

There's really no shortage of examples. Take this one where you actually made a gigantic stretch trying to use something that happened in our current healthcare system as "the norm" of what happens under universal healthcare. :laugh:

You're not going to get far trying to deny this Jimbo.

That's right. What I said was "Isn't this tragic that this will be the norm under socialized health care as thre ERs fill up with people bringing little johnnie in for his 101 temperature while the real sick people lie dying on the floor?"

It is the norm in Britain and I have given numerous examples -- rampant bacterial infestations, selective care, etc.

By the way, it is good to see that you learned another word from the Reader's Digest -- "generalizing". "Hypocritical" was becoming so cliché.

MrBishop

That's right. What I said was "Isn't this tragic that this will be the norm under socialized health care as thre ERs fill up with people bringing little johnnie in for his 101 temperature while the real sick people lie dying on the floor?"

It is the norm in Britain and I have given numerous examples -- rampant bacterial infestations, selective care, etc.
If I may jump in here. Being a user of socialized health care and all that, I figured that you'd accept my POV on how it actually works.

Yes, there are lots of examples of people coming in for spurious reasons into hospitals, and yes, for those people the wait can be infuriatingly long, but it's not a first-come first-serve, every injury is equal methodology at work here. Little Johnny with his fever (level green) is not displacing Bob with his broken arm (Yellow), nor Audrey with her heart palpitations (Orange), nor Arthur bleeding out from his car accident (Red).

You'll find a triage center putting people in priority and those people in higher priority going first (Reds and Orange) while the less dangerous cases falling into the first-come first-served line. Poor little Johnny will get treated - eventually.

With any luck, Johnny's Mama will look back at the 6hour wait and figure out that her son doesn't need to go to emergency and can get a family doctor at a clinic to look at him next time.

MrBishop

Now..if we can get back to the issue at hand. I personally am getting sick of dodging bilateral sniper shots, eh.

MrBishop

Election Year bribe.
I'd believe that if Bush was up for re-election. He may be timing it this way so that he doesn't go out on a bad note (economically) thus protecting his page in the history books, but there are more things that he could've done instead to get more votes for McCain.

spike

You gave no examples. You made unsubstantiated accusations.

Bullshit Jim, you're responding to several examples right now.

Where did I say that the Channel 4 news team tried to hire "all" of these people. I clearly ststed that they tried to hire "some" of these guys and your quote of the statement proves that.

Jim, I never said the Channel 4 guys tried to hire "all". YOU said ALL of the people with work for food signs were unwilling to work for food before Channel 4 ever came up.

YOU (not channel 4) took specific examples and generalized it into ALL. Get it?

You are the one using the word "all" with frightening regularity so you just go right ahead.

Yes, I'm using "all" to describe how you take specific examples and generalize it into ALL cases.

Why do you think you are on ignore? I just bring you up occasionally when I'm bored to see if you have learned anything from your exploits here. Seems not but I'll keep trying once in a while.

That's simple, you claim to put me on ignore whenever I back you into a corner over some issue that you're too embarrassed to respond to anymore. It's pretty obvious. You're simply unable to admit when you're wrong.

It iws no small wonder that you know nothing of this. You listen to the talking heads on TV and take what they say as gospel. I supply you with links and you refuse to follow them so is it any wonder you are ignorant and uneducated on the subject of firearms?

Ok, this is the second time you've misunderstood this issue. Let me clarify the question for you Jimbo. When I said "when did that happen"? The question was "when did this happen->take them at their word that this is a general attempt at banning firearms?".

In other words "when did someone give their word that they were making a general attempt at banning firearms, you took them at that word, and then discussed that word here in a thread?"

Wait you've given examples of this happening (one in the US) and generalized this as the norm? That's exactly what we're talking about -> taking specific examples and generalizing it as the norm.

You've proven my point for me again. :thumup:

By the way, it is good to see that you learned another word from the Reader's Digest -- "generalizing". "Hypocritical" was becoming so cliché.

And there's you're old trick of lashing out with insults when you're backed into a corner....right on queue. How childish.

catocom

naw, there ain't no recession.
the gov will sell some more weapons to Israel, just to show you how good the numbers are.

I don't wish this recession, but I don't see avoiding it.
We aren't out of the woods yet.