Recommend a Rental?

Any good movies to suggest? When I'm at a loss for what to rent I go back to the standbys: "Minority Report", "Crouching Tiger..." (subtitled), "O, Brother, Where Art Thou?", "Oklahoma!", "The Black Stallion", "The Lion King", Hitchcock's "Strangers on a Train", "That's Entertainment!" series. I recently rented a couple new releases that I thought were duds. Seems nowadays the movie is rarely as good as the previews make it out to be. Any titles past or recent would be appreciated.

HeXp£Øi±

Ever seen "Empire of the sun"? It's one of my favorites. "Gods and generals" if you like that sort of thing. Want to try something really different? "CATS"! 'Trainspotting' is great if you have a strong stomach.
Oh and "The pianist" is good although not as good as Schindlers list.

IDLEchild

Grave of the fireflies
Ghost in the shell
Undercover brother
east is east
Akira
Ocean's Eleven
Lagaan
Amelie
Monsoon Wedding

Rose

Oklahoma! is a standby of yours? :s Eeep.

I second "Ocean's Eleven". I'd also highly recommend "Snatch" (with Brad Pitt).

IDLEchild

Swept away
Glitter
From Justin to kelly
Gigli (not really a rental but give it a week or so)
Freddy got fingered

Dave

resovoir dogs
fight club
mulholland drive
ocean's 11
heat
in the bedroom
dazed and confused

....few of my favorites....

Rose said:
Oklahoma! is a standby of yours? :s Eeep.

"The corn is as high as a elephant's eye, and it looks like it's climbing clear up to the sky...." ok, call me a dweeb "and the wavin' wheat can sure smell sweet, when the wind comes right behind the rain.... "

:lloyd:

Rose

The Other One said:
"The corn is as high as a elephant's eye, and it looks like it's climbing clear up to the sky...." ok, call me a dweeb "and the wavin' wheat can sure smell sweet, when the wind comes right behind the rain.... "

:lloyd:

I've lived here all my life (well, since I was 4 or so) and don't think I've ever watched the movie the whole way through.... :nerd:

Rose said:
I've lived here all my life (well, since I was 4 or so) and don't think I've ever watched the movie the whole way through.... :nerd:

I'm a midwestern gal from Nebraska, and all we have is "Beautiful Nebraska, peaceful prairie land..." and "Dear Old Nebraska U..." They pale to a song that ends with a ! Yeah, the last half of the movie is a little hard to get through, but I guess I'm a sucker for Curly and Laurey through the first part. I finally got it taped in widescreen. :beavbang:

chcr

Too cute for words
The Shipping News.

Judi Dench, Kevin Spacey, Scott Glenn
A quirky and interesting movie with some (inevitably) very good acting.

The Usual Suspects is another good one that a lot of people don't seem to know about.

tommyj27

Not really Banned
Buttcrackdivine said:
A clockwork orange
just saw that recently, it's one fucked up flick. I loved it.

as for my recommendation for the day, queen of the damned or event horizon, might have to go watch event horizon right now, it's like the super evil 2001: a space odessey

CydCharisse

Equilibrium
Ghost Ship
Taxi Driver
Bound
Blue Velvet
Donnie Darko
Identity (available Sep. 2)
LOTR: Two Towers
Just Married
The Recruit
Phone Booth
Shanghai Knights
Chicago
Bringing Down the House

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Hex said:
"Gods and generals"

You've been in the far northern hinterlands too long my friend. I was hoping against hope that it was better than the critics said. We sat down & watched it one night & damned if that isn't the longest POS I've seen in a long time. How they can take such a great potential & screw it up soooo badly is beyond me. (Like everything else here, just my opinion of course.)

freako104

I like the Rocky Horror Picture Show
Moulin Rouge
A walk to Remember
Name of the Rose
the Beyond(AKA the Seven Doors of Death)
Phantasm
Friday the 13th series
Nightmare Before X-mas
Beetlegeuse
Lion King
Alladin
Beauty and Beast
the original trilogy to Star Wars
Evil Dead series