Recommend a Rental?

Arris

CydCharisse said:
Equilibrium
Donnie Darko
Phone Booth

Donnie Darko..... great movie.

Equilibrium for me was like The Matrix meets Farenheit 451.

Phone Booth, good movie. I thought it might suffer because of its lack of locations.. but it works (and I'd just finished watching 24 season one on DVD so hearing Kiefers voice was a little weird in the role he plays).

Basic with John Travolta was good for me, mainly because I went to see it not knowing anything about it. Quite an engrosing thriller which is a kinda who done it, with flashbacks to the event with different peoples recollections/stories about what happened with Big John T. trying to get to the truth (with an unorthadox style of investigation)...

chcr

Too cute for words
ooh ee ooh ooh...
Synchronicity. The Usual Suspects was on last night. It was even more convoluted than I remembered.

Dave

only seen 51 of the top 100....
guess i better start watching TCM or AMC more.....

CydCharisse

I need a Johnny Depp fix so I rented
Sleepy Hollow and Donnie Brasco today. I still haven't seen Benny and Joon, Before Night Falls, and The Ninth Gate. I'll have to work on that. :D

I've only seen 18 of the 100 AFI listed movies.....theres several on the list I want to see. I have a lot of catching up to do...

Mirlyn

CydCharisse said:
I've only seen 18 of the 100 AFI listed movies.....theres several on the list I want to see. I have a lot of catching up to do...
I've only seen 12...

People never talk movies around me because its always "huh....haven't seen it." :nerd:

tommyj27

Not really Banned
20 here, plus bits and pieces of a couple more. i can't believe Fargo was on there. i thought it was good and all but pleeeeaaaasse.

Ms Ann Thrope

I've seen 70 off that list -- I suppose I'm a movie junkie... :blush:

Here's a baker's dozen of my picks for best rentals. They're mostly older because so am I, and because those few new movies that are any good have already been mentioned up above. I'd also like to apologize in advance to all those directors whose films I could not include due to time and space limitations. :worship:

Fellini: La Dolce Vita -- a twisted look at beautiful people doing wickedly cruel things to each other in Rome, mmmm
La Strada -- Anthony Quinn as a brutally flawed man, bring out the handkerchiefs for this one

Bergman: The Seventh Seal -- art house classic -- Max von Sydow, a knight on his way home from the Crusades, plays chess with Death... Honest! this is a very trippy, visually stunning movie...

Coppola: The Conversation -- one of Gene Hackman's finest performances as a detective who spirals into paranoia while having a crisis of conscience; a prescient look at privacy issues and voyeurism
Apocalypse Now -- get the original, not Redux -- the added footage adding nothing of value -- why the hell did FFC want to screw with perfection? :mad:

Capra: actually I really dislike Frank Capra, always thought of him as a vile propagandist, but Arsenic and Old Lace is a work of genius, in no small part due to Cary Grant's incredible performance as the nephew of serial killers that happen to be his very sweet elderly aunts -- this movie brings me to tears every time -- and of course, Peter Lorre is brilliant here...

Antonioni:Blowup -- David Hemmings as an ultrahip photographer in swinging London trying to unravel the mystery of a very sexy Vanessa Redgrave
Professione: reporter aka The Passenger -- Jack Nicholson is cooler than the wind in this totally baffling movie -- I've watched the final 20 minutes over a dozen times and still can't tell you exactly how it ends, but who cares? Maria Schneider is sexy, Jack is hot, the story is intriguing (Jack assumes the identity of a dead man -- I'll say no more...), the setting is exotic (North African desert)...

movies with Steve McQueen: Bullitt -- the movie that created a genre, with a terrific car chase sequence
The Thomas Crown Affair -- the original and still the best (no offense to Pierce Brosnan)
The Great Escape -- great great great POW movie -- get out the popcorn!!!

best double feature: John Sturges's The Magnificent Seven with the film that inspired it -- Kurosawa's Seven Samurai -- village hires assassins to protect them from evil bandits -- revenge, honor, redemption, these movies really satisfy...:D

Mirlyn

I've seen the Steve McQueen movies! Got Bullitt on DVD...tempted to get one of the cars too. ;)

Sharky

We watched "Confidence" last night. Starring Dustin Hoffman, Edward Burns, and Rachel Weisz. Pretty good ride - it's done in a style kind of reminiscent of "Snatch". Short, fast-paced scenes and excellent soundtrack (if you like electronica). Don't miss the music videos in the special features section.

tonksy

i watched 8 mile the other night and i was pleasantly surprised. it's a pretty interesting flick...gritty. more to it than i'd imagined. kinda makes you like eminem, which i sorta already did.

AlphaTroll

The Guru & Bend it like Beckham for a laugh

Hercules - cos it's just bloody excellent (the animated one)

Gross Point Blank - for the absurdity of it all

Goodfellas, Usual Suspects, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Full Metal Jacket, Life is Beautiful, A Beautiful Mind - because they're brilliant.

Clueless, Van Wilder - Party Liaison, Sorority Boys - for sheer brainless teenage entertainment

Glitter & Crossroads - so you can throw things at Mariah Carey & Britney Spears without being sued

Sweet Home Alabama - for the song

Dogma & The Man who sued God - comedy with a twist - puts religion in a new light (well sort of - 'specially when you're stoned)

Jay & Silent Bob strike back - to get hammered (have a shot of Jack whenever they say the EFF word)

AlphaTroll

Geez - I just checked out that AFI list - I've actually seen 68 of those movies & count some of them among my all time favourites. MMMM, with the weather today I'd sure love to curl up in bed & watch movies all day.

Sharky

tonks said:
i watched 8 mile the other night and i was pleasantly surprised. it's a pretty interesting flick...gritty. more to it than i'd imagined. kinda makes you like eminem, which i sorta already did.

I was surprised too. I'm not a fan of rap or hip-hop, but not a hater, either. More like ambivalent. The movie was actualy pretty good, and made it easier to understand what Eminem is all about.