Reputation Points??

Professur

paul_valaru said:
he isn't one, and I am not advocating that, I am advocating living you life for today, cause tomorrow you could be dead.

Just saying the "grown-up" things don't appeal to me, big houses, fancy cars (and yes when people say grown-up that is what I envision) working 14 hours a day so you could afford to keep up appearences.

Iwould prefer a small place, and good friends

My brother died before his 21st birthday. I know all about dying tomorrow. All that means is that you don't let opportunities pass you by. What opportunities, and what you do with them are what makes life worth getting up in the morning, wouldn't you say?

paul_valaru said:
to a lot of people it does, save up for the golden years....

Is that how you see me? I could die tomorrow, and only have 2 regrets. That I missed so much of my first son's first year, and that I'll miss the rest of their years. But I'll never regret anything I've done.

HomeLAN

paul_valaru said:
as someone who is not stressed about being grown up

sorry people I see mature and grown up as too diffrent things...mature is fine grown up...sounds like you have done all your growing, because you have

grown

up

no where left to go, time to stagnate

Whereas I see refusal to grow up as stagnation. I mean, what the hell, you've already reached the pinnacle of your existance, so why strive for more? Just sit there....

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
Professur said:
My brother died before his 21st birthday. I know all about dying tomorrow. All that means is that you don't let opportunities pass you by. What opportunities, and what you do with them are what makes life worth getting up in the morning, wouldn't you say?

Is that how you see me? I could die tomorrow, and only have 2 regrets. That I missed so much of my first son's first year, and that I'll miss the rest of their years. But I'll never regret anything I've done.

I don't see you like that at all. You have a life you love and enjoy. It is what you want, and you have it.

Winky

So why'd you get split up Val?
and yes Prof IS too!

He isn't going to act like a quote unquote 'young person'
on his trip with his family to the Bar-B-Que
(more like a *shiver* DAD and husband!)

As a soon to be reformed old fuddy-duddy (well not the old part) I can attest to the living for tomorrow creed.

Heck! At the end of the month I will attend my only kids’
HS college prep school graduation, then ship him off in August 124 miles south of here to attend college.
I think I'll keep the red sports car and the wife of 23 years
but everything else is up for grabs
but then....

I do want to see my kid get married, the birth of 'some' grandkids, retire when I'm to flippin' old to get up and due stuff everyday, so yeah my actions today will have to be in accordance with future goals.

Professur

Actually, I see Paul's point of view. But, Paul, I don't see it as you do. What you call Living for today, I see as Living for yourself. IMHO, that's missing most of what life has to offer.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
HomeLAN said:
Whereas I see refusal to grow up as stagnation. I mean, what the hell, you've already reached the pinnacle of your existance, so why strive for more? Just sit there....

nobody is just sitting there, that would mean they are done growning...and all grown up

everyday should have one new experience, even if it is something minor

HomeLAN

Ever seen the older greeters at Wal-mart? Some of them do it for the social interaction, but a depressing number do it because they have to. They never planned for tomorrow. Too busy living for today.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
Professur said:
Actually, I see Paul's point of view. But, Paul, I don't see it as you do. What you call Living for today, I see as Living for yourself. IMHO, that's missing most of what life has to offer.

would you prefer I live for others, and strive to meet there expectations, and limit myself to what they want and expect? What am I missing? Family? some people are not meant to have family.

I live by my standards, and it makes me happy.

Uki Chick

HomeLAN said:
Ever seen the older greeters at Wal-mart? Some of them do it for the social interaction, but a depressing number do it because they have to. They never planned for tomorrow. Too busy living for today.

That is so true. How many people don't bother worrying about what there will be later on in life and then they're screwed.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
HomeLAN said:

well while I do live for today......

I know some hadto be for tomorrow, I am mature enough to know that.

but enought so I can live happy at retirement, I want to be happy now and then, understand. I dont want to work 14 hours a day saving up so I can retire at 50 and sail the world, only to get hit my a bus at age 49.

Professur

paul_valaru said:
would you prefer I live for others, and strive to meet there expectations, and limit myself to what they want and expect? What am I missing? Family? some people are not meant to have family.

I live by my standards, and it makes me happy.

You see, Paul. There's where we diverge. You don't live for others. You livewith others. Why would they want you limited? We encourage and help each other.

Honestly, Paul. I wouldn't want to live your version of family either. It sounds awful. Fortunately, it's not the only version. Life, and family, is what you make it.

Winky

some people are not meant to have family.

Yeah...

being old unloved and alone is meant for some too

Professur

paul_valaru said:
well while I do live for today......

I know some hadto be for tomorrow, I am mature enough to know that.

but enought so I can live happy at retirement, I want to be happy now and then, understand. I dont want to work 14 hours a day saving up so I can retire at 50 and sail the world, only to get hit my a bus at age 49.

And you can't see any way to do both being happy today, and tomorrow?

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
Professur said:
You see, Paul. There's where we diverge. You don't live for others. You livewith others. Why would they want you limited? We encourage and help each other.

Honestly, Paul. I wouldn't want to live your version of family either. It sounds awful. Fortunately, it's not the only version. Life, and family, is what you make it.

well I cannot comment on any of this.

Lets just say everyone is different.

you can only comprimise your dreams so much