Same old same old?

Professur

I have an innate distrust .... of everyone, (regardless of race, nationality, creed, etc) and I have no intention of overcoming it.

2minkey

bootlicker
chcr said:
So then, you realize that this innate distrust of people who look and/or sound different is an instinctual response? Or that there are reasons which were quite valid once for it. It's certainly not impossible to overcome, but the average jamoke (regardless of race, nationality, creed, etc.) can't be arsed to do it.

actually that seems kinda weird to me. i'd be more likely to explain it as learned behavior, but, then, i usually pick the latter when the "nature v nurture" thing pokes its head up.

chcr

Too cute for words
2minkey said:
actually that seems kinda weird to me. i'd be more likely to explain it as learned behavior, but, then, i usually pick the latter when the "nature v nurture" thing pokes its head up.
You need more behavioral science then. Pre-intelligence (and even post for a long time) anyone not from your "tribe" was a threat to kill you, steal your food, mate with your females, etc., etc., etc... Stopping yourself from killing a stranger long enough to trade was the learned behavior. In probably 50,000 or so years we still haven't become very good at it.

2minkey

bootlicker
chcr said:
You need more behavioral science then. Pre-intelligence (and even post for a long time) anyone not from your "tribe" was a threat to kill you, steal your food, mate with your females, etc., etc., etc... Stopping yourself from killing a stranger long enough to trade was the learned behavior. In probably 50,000 or so years we still haven't become very good at it.

pre-intelligence? what's that mean? when people were just a buncha hairy cave man dumbfucks sitting around whacking each other with sticks?? not sure where yer getting this stuff, but it don't sound right to me. and i've taken a few courses in behavioral sciences.

chcr

Too cute for words
2minkey said:
pre-intelligence? what's that mean? when people were just a buncha hairy cave man dumbfucks sitting around whacking each other with sticks?? not sure where yer getting this stuff, but it don't sound right to me. and i've taken a few courses in behavioral sciences.
*sigh* I see where you're coming from now. Never mind.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
2minkey said:
but it don't sound right to me. and i've taken a few courses in behavioral sciences.

Congratulations. I've got a Psych degree and 12 years work experience. He's right. We as a species are inclined to trust the familiar over the unfamiliar. Study after study proves it. PC bitches about it. Figure out which line yer in already.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Familiarity changes some of these rules. A hispanic accent, in Phoenix, is normal. What is typical to one region or city may be obscene to another. I mean, imagine an eastern Tennessee accent in your city :rolleyes:

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
I hear it every day. Nobody bats an eye. It's them damn Meeeeesheeeeegun accents that turn heads and get shotguns loaded around here.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I'd much rather be around a Michigander then a Bostonian...unless it's a gunfight. People in Boston are askeered a'guns.

2minkey

bootlicker
SouthernN'Proud said:
Congratulations. I've got a Psych degree and 12 years work experience. He's right. We as a species are inclined to trust the familiar over the unfamiliar. Study after study proves it. PC bitches about it. Figure out which line yer in already.

i just rarely agree with biological reductionism... seems awfully thin to me. i don't need to get in any line, because i believe *my own bullshit.*

i'm sorry that you have a psych degree. but, hey, at least it's not a sociology degree.