the slur cut a lot closer to the bone.

the truth hurts?

iffin' the shoe fits wear it

iffin' it don't

get NuShooz

chcr

Too cute for words
2minkey said:
yeah but irish jokes are approached with humor by just about everybody these days... because there's no inferiority (or alienation) implied,
Of course, when I was a kid it was quite different, but typically younger people forget that anything came before. I did it when I was younger too. Back then you were a "mick" and your friend Tony was a "wop" or a "guinea." My best friend Steve was a "kike." I guess that our generation has raised a bunch of whining "nancy-boys," haven't we?

Edit: BTW, it's our nature not to trust people who are different. Read some behavioral science. I don't understand why anyone finds it surprising in the least.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
Gonz said:
It's okay to make jokes at the expense of men, conservatives, hunters, stay at home moms but one had damned well better STFU if the subject is homosexual, a working womyn or has a higher melatonin content. If one can't laugh at themself they need to look at the underlying problem.

who said it was right to make jokes about men, conservatives, hunters etc.

what is good for the goose is good for the gander (again we are talking about workplace)

If someone makes those kind of jokes and is asked to stop the situation should be the same

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Winky said:
and just happen to be substandard

asians.JPG

the truth hurts?

iffin' the shoe fits wear it

iffin' it don't

get NuShooz

I think you should try a different approach. My SAT score was a combined 1320. I also scored quite high on the ACT's, although I don't really remember those scores. I identify myself with "Black or African American"...or...rather...I was identified by almost every white person I met at the time as a nigger. It was just easier for me to prove them stupid as it was to whip some honky ass...too many of them...

Altron

Funny, I always imagined you as a white dude with a goofy orange hat. It's funny how avatars affect what you expect a person to look like.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
paul_valaru said:
who said it was right to make jokes about men, conservatives, hunters etc.

what is good for the goose is good for the gander (again we are talking about workplace)

If someone makes those kind of jokes and is asked to stop the situation should be the same

Difference is, those identified say so fucking what & get a beer.

Much to our friend Alexs chagrin, I don't tell these jokes & I find them either offensive, over my head (I don't keep track of many stereotypes) or simply too stupid to listen to. However, I find anyone that believes they have a right to shut me, or anyone else, up because they are uncomfrotable to be highly pompous & typically ineffectual at anything outside whining.

If ya can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
Gonz said:
Difference is, those identified say so fucking what & get a beer.

Much to our friend Alexs chagrin, I don't tell these jokes & I find them either offensive, over my head (I don't keep track of many stereotypes) or simply too stupid to listen to. However, I find anyone that believes they have a right to shut me, or anyone else, up because they are uncomfrotable to be highly pompous & typically ineffectual at anything outside whining.

If ya can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

It's nto a kitchen, it's an office, something you can't seem to grasp.

People who let shit like this happen are just as bad as those who do it.

Just because you are not offended doesn't mean others are not.

to quote the best response to this thread

I'll make this short and sweet. The workplace is for work. If you want to socialize, which includes off-color and/or racist jokes, then it's the teller who has caused the problem, not the person asking them to stop. Common courtesy was no longer practiced, so the institutions were forced to adopt policies that stopped practices. Don't blame the policies, and don't blame the 'victims' of the enforcement of the policies. Bottom line is, the bosses knew it was happening and, instead of stopping the ones breaking the policy, they turned a blind eye. You wouldn't feel so sure if it was you being the one who was the butt of the jokes, and you would feel even less sure if, when you complained, the boss ignored you. I know because I've been on both sides of the fence.

Winky

No Grato I can't hold you responsible for many years
of under-achievement of folks that seem to have
similar melanin content, any more than I'd
think that one member of the Asian race
it responsible for the same over-achievement
of like folks

sorry you feel that way but it ain't my problem
@ all

and upon further analysis, is it really yours?

alex

paul_valaru said:
It's nto a kitchen, it's an office, something you can't seem to grasp.

People who let shit like this happen are just as bad as those who do it.

to quote the best response to this thread

I'll second that.

HomeLAN

And I won't. While I can see your point that in an ideal world people sharing the same workplace would treat each other with common courtesy and respect, this is reality. It doesn't always work that way. The consequences of that, however, tend to take care of themsleves over a little bit of time, and this should not be government-enforced to the ludicrous extent that it is now.

Speaking as someone who has to enforce the rules restricting free speech in the workplace, I can tell you that I spend an inordinate amount of time making sure that we remain in a position that ensures we would at least win any lawsuit brought against us on these grounds. I also spend a hell of a lot of time that I'd prefer to spend actually working making certain that neither I nor my boss will be thrown in jail for violation of federal law also designed to ensure that, for God' sake, no one gets offended.

All this is often in direct opposition to that pesky free speech section of the bill of rights. Where, precisely, does your priority fall?

One benefit of the free market system is that employers who don't do their damndest to see that employees are treated with respect soon have no employees and wind up out of business. Thus, we would find a way (and I have done so) to ease people who cannot behave like human beings out of our employ - under reasoning unassailable by lawsuit.

That's how it should work - not with the government and full force of the legal system hanging the sword of Damacles over my neck. Not only is this unnecessary in the long run, it verges on (and sometimes flat-out is) unconstitutional.

The magic of a free-market econmy includes a free job market. If you don't like it here, you know where the door is located. If I can't keep you from using it, I'm a bad (and soon to be broke) businessman, not a fuckin' criminal.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Winky said:
No Grato I can't hold you responsible for many years
of under-achievement of folks that seem to have
similar melanin content, any more than I'd
think that one member of the Asian race
it responsible for the same over-achievement
of like folks

sorry you feel that way but it ain't my problem
@ all

and upon further analysis, is it really yours?

You forgot the most important thing in any standard...frame of reference. Describe blue to a blind person. Explain music to a deaf person. I'm not defending illegal behavior, mind you, but, without that frame of reference, people are doomed to fail.

chcr

Too cute for words
See, the thing I don't understand, have never understood and really have no interest in understanding is this whole idea that anyone at all has a right to not be offended. Where does that even come from?

chcr

Too cute for words
No, not really. I really don't care and I certainly don't go out of my way to avoid offending anyone. OTOH I don't always go out of my way looking for an argument... ;)

alex

HomeLAN said:
And I won't. While I can see your point that in an ideal world people sharing the same workplace would treat each other with common courtesy and respect, this is reality. It doesn't always work that way. The consequences of that, however, tend to take care of themsleves over a little bit of time, and this should not be government-enforced to the ludicrous extent that it is now.

Speaking as someone who has to enforce the rules restricting free speech in the workplace, I can tell you that I spend an inordinate amount of time making sure that we remain in a position that ensures we would at least win any lawsuit brought against us on these grounds. I also spend a hell of a lot of time that I'd prefer to spend actually working making certain that neither I nor my boss will be thrown in jail for violation of federal law also designed to ensure that, for God' sake, no one gets offended.

All this is often in direct opposition to that pesky free speech section of the bill of rights. Where, precisely, does your priority fall?

One benefit of the free market system is that employers who don't do their damndest to see that employees are treated with respect soon have no employees and wind up out of business. Thus, we would find a way (and I have done so) to ease people who cannot behave like human beings out of our employ - under reasoning unassailable by lawsuit.

That's how it should work - not with the government and full force of the legal system hanging the sword of Damacles over my neck. Not only is this unnecessary in the long run, it verges on (and sometimes flat-out is) unconstitutional.

The magic of a free-market econmy includes a free job market. If you don't like it here, you know where the door is located. If I can't keep you from using it, I'm a bad (and soon to be broke) businessman, not a fuckin' criminal.

I wasn't implying that Big Brother should have a sword at your neck ready to fall if one person in your company gets offended. I tell jokes at work, other people tell me jokes. I can take a joke just as well as the next person. If someone is constantly speaking in a manner that offends me, I'll politely ask them to stop. If they don't stop, I'll take it further up the chain. I don't recall anything on the employment application or having to sign any kind of waiver saying that "Assholes work here, you must accept whatever they do as a condition of your employment with this company". I do my best not to offend anyone at work, why shouldn't I expect the same? If I ever do offend anyone, I'll apologize. But when someone specifically and intentionally targets you and makes it their main purpose for coming to work...to make your life miserable, that's over the line.

I find anyone that believes they have a right to shut me, or anyone else, up because they are uncomfrotable to be highly pompous & typically ineffectual at anything outside whining.

Get real man. Apply that same logic to normal social behavior. If you want to mug me, should I 'not be offended'? If I am offended, does that make me a whiney person? It's disrespectful behavior either way.

And I still say....THANK GOD I DON'T WORK WITH YOU.

HomeLAN

alex said:
I wasn't implying that Big Brother should have a sword at your neck ready to fall if one person in your company gets offended. I tell jokes at work, other people tell me jokes. I can take a joke just as well as the next person. If someone is constantly speaking in a manner that offends me, I'll politely ask them to stop. If they don't stop, I'll take it further up the chain. I don't recall anything on the employment application or having to sign any kind of waiver saying that "Assholes work here, you must accept whatever they do as a condition of your employment with this company". I do my best not to offend anyone at work, why shouldn't I expect the same? If I ever do offend anyone, I'll apologize. But when someone specifically and intentionally targets you and makes it their main purpose for coming to work...to make your life miserable, that's over the line.

This is where it's gone, though. Let me clue you in on a little bit of the life of an HR manager.

Let's say I've got an employee who is exactly what you describe. I'm gathering evidence and building the documentation I have to build to can his ass without getting mine sued off.

Then, another employee comes in, pops off his mouth, and basically makes it clear that he's going to sue if I DON'T fire the asshole, post haste.

What shall I do? I can get sued for wrongful termination, or I can get sued for hostile work environment.

My point is that the course of action ain't as easy or clear-cut as you seem to believe it is. Yeah, I have to look out for your well-being, but I also have to look out for his. Meanwhile, both are threatening to take the comapny and me personally to court.

Face it. Wherever you go and whatever group you join, there will be someone you don't like, or who doesn't like you. Applies to workplace, church, social groups of all types. It's up to you, as a thinking adult human, to decide what bullshit level you find acceptable and to explore other options when it exceeds that level. You shouldn't automatically turn to gov't regulations to make that choice for you.

As for the situation I've outlined above, I've lived it. I'll let you guess what course of action I took.

alex

And another thing......

If something is so unbearable....leave.

Why the fuck should I leave. I was hired to do a job....which I'm doing. I'm not the one loafing off, standing around telling offending jokes....YOU FUCKING LEAVE.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
paul_valaru said:

So we still go back to, what makes these whiners opinions so damned holy? Why can I get fired for laughing at a joke but their incessant badgering about a hostile work environment gets them $240,000.