Same old same old?

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Gonz said:
Adults shouldbe able to handle themselves, as adults. The jokes & profanity should have stopped (or at least quieted down), if asked. However, there is no need to settle for 240grand when your tastes are offended. Personal tastes run the gamut. What makes the sense of hunmor of one more important than another?

Sorry-my racial epithets are kinda rusty.

The whole sentence is absolutely true, except for that part in parenthesis. If you're at your job, and your activities, outside of what the job entails, upset your co-worker(s), then said activities should stop when said coworker(s) are around. :shrug: How difficult is it to stop a non-job related activity when the boss comes wandering by? ;)

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
Gato_Solo said:
The whole sentence is absolutely true, except for that part in parenthesis. If you're at your job, and your activities, outside of what the job entails, upset your co-worker(s), then said activities should stop when said coworker(s) are around. :shrug: How difficult is it to stop a non-job related activity when the boss comes wandering by? ;)

It's the old "boys will be boys" defense that used to be used before people got tough on sexual harrassment..which is to say not a real defense at all, if you are offending someone, then you stop.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
United States of the Offended. Fuck 'em if they can't take a joke. If it's harassment, then go there. Otherwise, get over yourself you overbearing, underachieving, whiny assed peon. It's a joke/word/slang term/picture. Whatever.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
Gonz said:
United States of the Offended. Fuck 'em if they can't take a joke. If it's harassment, then go there. Otherwise, get over yourself you overbearing, underachieving, whiny assed peon. It's a joke/word/slang term/picture. Whatever.

so if you ask people to stop doing something that causes a hostile work enviroment, that is being whiny?

I am not a fan aor racist jokes if there was some guy at my work telling them I would ask him to stop when I am around, if he didn't I would complain.

Or if some guy kept preaching about the glories of being saved, I would ask him to stop as well, why should I be made to feel uncomfortable?

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
paul_valaru said:
so if you ask people to stop doing something that causes a hostile work enviroment, that is being whiny?
It wasn't hostile until the whinebag asked them to stop & then bitched when they didn't.

paul_valaru said:
I am not a fan aor racist jokes if there was some guy at my work telling them I would ask him to stop when I am around, if he didn't I would complain.
Nor am I. I've often said I don't like them then I leave the tellers presence.

paul_valaru said:
Or if some guy kept preaching about the glories of being saved, I would ask him to stop as well, why should I be made to feel uncomfortable?
Leave his presense.

The world doesn't revolve around the offended. They just try to make it so.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
Gonz said:
It wasn't hostile until the whinebag asked them to stop & then bitched when they didn't.

Nor am I. I've often said I don't like them then I leave the tellers presence.

Leave his presense.

The world doesn't revolve around the offended. They just try to make it so.

and if you are in a lunch room eating?

if you have to work WITH the person?

If you are in the guys house then you can leave and expect no courtisy of him stopping but work is WORK.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
If something is so unbearable....leave. There are other jobs, other schools. Chances are, given that option (which is always available) 99% of the people would learn to live with it instead of changing.

I'm not defending the asshole. I'm defending everybodies right to be an asshole.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
Gonz said:
If something is so unbearable....leave. There are other jobs, other schools. Chances are, given that option (which is always available) 99% of the people would learn to live with it instead of changing.

I'm not defending the asshole. I'm defending everybodies right to be an asshole.

By callig the person complaining an asshole?

circular logic

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Because you don't like what is said gives you the right to stop another from saying it?

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
Gonz said:
Because you don't like what is said gives you the right to stop another from saying it?

In a perfect world (ahh to dream)

but no, it does not....

UNLESS it causes a conflict in the workplace, where there are laws, and company rules on top of laws to stop this sorta thing. A workplace is not your home, neiborhood bar etc. Why should the complainer have to leave their job because of these assholes.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Why does it cause conflict? Why is the complainer protected but not the joke teller? You're giving special privleges to one over another. Isn't that unfair & biased?

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
Gonz said:
Why does it cause conflict? Why is the complainer protected but not the joke teller? You're giving special privleges to one over another. Isn't that unfair & biased?

why does the joke teller have all the rights then.

Guy tells a joke, no problem. Guy gets reported cause it is racist, and causes a workplace conflict ok, guy gets asked to stop, if he does not problem, if not, fire him.

If company does NOT ask him to stop, THEN it is the companies fault which seems to be this case.

This is a workplace situation which differes from most other situations, if it where a case of some lady complaining that a guy was telling jokes in a grocery store or a bar (if neither where employees) i would agree with you.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Oh, tis of thee,
sweet land of liberty,
until I be offended,
then lawyers I see.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
I don't think it was offended being the problem

hostile work enviroment impeaded the pursuit of happiness portion of the little cute saying you americans have

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
The joke was funny & 6 people laughed, specifically allowing a little happiness to be caught.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
Gonz said:
The joke was funny & 6 people laughed, specifically allowing a little happiness to be caught.

the joke was racist and made a certain group seem less than human in the eyes of the laughers, easier to hate and destroy, and made baby jesus cry.

and when it was told, god killed a kitten.

and HITLER! (had to throw hitler in, what is a real world thread without hitler)

you seem to be missing the point between workplace conduct and social conduct.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Gonz said:

I'll make this short and sweet. The workplace is for work. If you want to socialize, which includes off-color and/or racist jokes, then it's the teller who has caused the problem, not the person asking them to stop. Common courtesy was no longer practiced, so the institutions were forced to adopt policies that stopped practices. Don't blame the policies, and don't blame the 'victims' of the enforcement of the policies. Bottom line is, the bosses knew it was happening and, instead of stopping the ones breaking the policy, they turned a blind eye. You wouldn't feel so sure if it was you being the one who was the butt of the jokes, and you would feel even less sure if, when you complained, the boss ignored you. I know because I've been on both sides of the fence.

Winky

Tell U whut utter the "N" werd in an American
werkplace today

find 'nother job tomorrow

I actually think it is a good thing

now grabbin' that hotties boobies in the next cube over

dats another thing altogether