Sammiches

Butter or no butter

• Butter on my sammiches, it's a must!

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Butter? On a sammich? GAK!

Votes: 18 75.0%

• Total voters

A.B.Normal

Butter is not a neccessity ,but I'll use it if I have any warm enough to spread.I don't eat a lot of sandwiches so the butter I have is in the fridge for use with popcorn.If I have turkey (christmas ,birthday),then I'll make sure I have butter to go with my turkey and mayo sandwiches.Mustard is for ham or roast beast ,not that I eat much of that .

Inkara1

See, for me, the point of mayo on a sammich is to 1) add flavor, and 2) moisten things up.

BeardofPants

Leslie said:
Backstory is...I can't eat a sammich (or pretty much anything else for that matter) without butter. It's too dry or somethin. Mustard without butter as a protective layer goes in the breadholes and loses half it's flavour, mayo disappears into the bread too. Bleach.

Someone told me that I'm weird. I agreed that maybe I am, but not about this. So I had to see. And I'm vindicated. I'm not in the majority, but I ain't weird!
That's the reason I put butter on my sammies. It's too dry otherwise. You need that oily layer to hold the flavours in. But then, most of my sammiches are made of spreads like jam, or marmite, rather than condiments. With the exception of the tomato sammich, if I'm making a sammie with salad ingredients, there's no butter needed.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
BeardofPants said:
That's the reason I put butter on my sammies. It's too dry otherwise. You need that oily layer to hold the flavours in. But then, most of my sammiches are made of spreads like jam, or marmite, rather than condiments. With the exception of the tomato sammich, if I'm making a sammie with salad ingredients, there's no butter needed.

you eat marmite, you don't count.

:D

TexasRaceLady

I'm definately in the no butter crowd. However, I did eat roast beef sammiches in England with butter and loved them.

Except for turkey which gets only mayo, all my sammiches have both mustard and mayo.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
BeardofPants said:
*bitchslaps Paul
What kind of commonwealth country do you belong to? :p

the one without marmite, except the small part where Prof lives I guess

(honeslty I have never tried it, but I have heard some interesting descriptions.)

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
No butter unless it's grilled cheese.

PB&J or PB&B notwithstanding, I require mustard on all sammiches. Mayo occasionally, never both.

Favorite homemade sammich is cajun roast beef and salami with colby, lettuce, tomato, onion and mustard.

woodman19_99

SN'P, that sandwich sounds damn good, but what the heck is colby? Cheese? Also, could do without tomato, but I may have to find some cajun roast beef, or whatever passes as that in NYC, as I am sure it can't compare to what you guys have down there...

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
Colby is a cheese, yes. It's not my favourite, but it's ok.

I like just plain tomato sammiches. Fresh bread, butter, tomato, salt, pepper, done. mmmmm

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Ain't nothing like a t'mater biscuit. Hot, homemade biscuit with a slice of (preferably Grainger County TN) t'mater and some salt.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
If all the butter, bread, pasta, cheese, and snacks I eat won't do it then I'm definitely doomed.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
I will go without eating most of the time if there's no butter for the sammiches.