Sexual assault at Duke University

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
ESPN story

"I was appalled," said Greene. "It was just shocking. I'm a woman and a black woman. Every woman needs to be angry about this. Every man and every child. Duke is trying to hide this and they're not going to get away with it."

Innocent until proven guilty? Guess not.

Earlier Wednesday, Brodhead met with about 100 students at the Mary Lou Williams Center for Black Culture.

"That students got up at 8:30 in the morning shows you the level of concern," said Chandra Y. Guinn, the center's director.

Is there a Center for White Culture at Duke?

And I'm sorry, but out of bed at 8:30 AM shows me nothing about concern. Once they graduate, they'll have done more by 8:30 AM than they do all day now.

If these allegations are true, the guilty parties should be punished as provided by law. Until then, they should be treated as innocent as provided by law.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
SouthernN'Proud said:
ESPN story

Innocent until proven guilty? Guess not.

Is there a Center for White Culture at Duke?

And I'm sorry, but out of bed at 8:30 AM shows me nothing about concern. Once they graduate, they'll have done more by 8:30 AM than they do all day now.

If these allegations are true, the guilty parties should be punished as provided by law. Until then, they should be treated as innocent as provided by law.

Seems like a reaction to this...

"They tell Duke kids, 'Don't go into the big, bad Durham community.' Well, now they can get violated right here on campus. The administration does well to take a position that protects the rights of the young men. They've done a poor job at articulating the rights of those who feel violated and threatened by their behavior."

Here's the thing, though.

1. If the outside community is that bad, why would they go into it in the first place?
2. I was in trouble more when I was in College than before, or after. Drunk and disorderly...small fine for a college student, though. So why does this seem so outrageous?

AlphaTroll

Ye know, the more stories I read about America, the more convinced I become that it is by far the most racist place in the world.

Gato_Solo

AlphaTroll said:
Ye know, the more stories I read about America, the more convinced I become that it is by far the most racist place in the world.

Only if you look for it. Most people don't give a rat's ass what color you are. The ones that do, like pond scum, always seem to creep to the top.

AlphaTroll

Yeah well, I guess it should be laid at the door of sensasionalist bullshit reporting as per the linked story. I suppose it depends on the sources used, but gimme a break. Seriously get the fuck over yourselves.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
AlphaTroll said:
Seriously get the fuck over yourselves.

Pretty much.

This is a big news story because people hate Duke these days. It is a bigger news story because someone allegedly got raped. It is a monster news story because the someone was black. It is a huge monster because the alleged perpetrator(s) are white.

We can sit back and rest our feet up and talk until we are blue in the face about how nonracist we as an individual are. We can say all the right things to all the right people at all the right times. Then when something like this comes up, we show our true nature.

If one chooses to define the word racist as someone who prefers his/her own race over others, then who among us is truly innocent?

chcr

Too cute for words
"Duke is trying to hide this and they're not going to get away with it."

Cover it up? They cancelled the teams remaining schedule (bet that wouldn't have happened to the basketball team) and sent the young men to be DNA tested. The team didn't initially cooperate because of the whole "guilty until proven innocent" mentality.

I can't believe that anyone without a specific racial agenda would have thought that the race of the young lady in question was a determining factor anyway.

I think I'll need some more credible information on this one.

AlphaTroll

I define the term racist as actively excluding someone from participating in something that is their right as part of the human race based on the colour of their skin or their ethnicity. Also the hatred of another based on the colour of their skin or ethnicity.

I don't prefer my own race over others, I'm just better equipped to deal with my own race thanks to familiarity with customs etc. I am more comfortable with my own race, but that does not mean I don't want to include people from other races in my social circle or that I don't want them to be part of my life or I of their's.

chcr

Too cute for words
AlphaTroll said:
It is, kind of. The people who are actually being oppressed in the current society are white males though.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Duke is trying to hide this and they're not going to get away with it."

It's everywhere & has been for days. Another pointless remark by someone not remotely close to the situation picke dup by some fool in the media for it's shitdisturbing views.

Gato_Solo

Winky said:

I was treated quite nice when I was in Korea...might be because I know a bit of the language, though.

Anyway...I've no problems dealing with a racist as long as he/she is honest with it. It's the ones who pretend to like you that you have to be careful of...I guess it's the fact of knowing who, and what, you're dealing with is more important to me than hurt feelings.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
Gato_Solo said:
I was treated quite nice when I was in Korea...might be because I know a bit of the language, though.

Anyway...I've no problems dealing with a racist as long as he/she is honest with it. It's the ones who pretend to like you that you have to be careful of...I guess it's the fact of knowing who, and what, you're dealing with is more important to me than hurt feelings.

I don't know about that, I've seen some honest racist, and I think I prefer the ones who are lying and nice to me than the ones trying to kill me.

flavio

Banned
chcr said:
It is, kind of. The people who are actually being oppressed in the current society are white males though.
Hell yeah! White males don't even have a chance at the CEO positions, quarterback spots, being elected officials, religious leaders, Nascar drivers, or even getting a cab......it's fricken rough.

Gato_Solo

paul_valaru said:
I don't know about that, I've seen some honest racist, and I think I prefer the ones who are lying and nice to me than the ones trying to kill me.

At least the ones who are trying to kill you are upfront about it, so you know how to deal with them. The ones who hide it are the ones you don't know are dangerous until it's too late.

Inkara1

flavio said:
Hell yeah! White males don't even have a chance at the CEO positions, quarterback spots, being elected officials, religious leaders, Nascar drivers, or even getting a cab......it's fricken rough.
Applied for any scholarships lately?

chcr

Too cute for words
flavio said:
Okay, it's from another thread, but what do you suppose would have happened if a large group of white male citizens would have organized a demonstration protesting the sad state of illegal immigration in this country the other day. Villified is not a strong enough word.

To be honest though, I put that in just to see if I could guess what your response would be and I was pretty much right on. Took you a while though. You are really Gonz, aren't you?

Edit: You think the Nascar driver thing is an advantage???? :lol2: