So, is there any word...

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
MrBishop said:
Montreal to Wichita KS ~1551.96 miles

1551.96/70mph=22 hours :eek:

pfffft it's atleast 19 hours from Brampton to the boat into NFLD, then 6 hours on the boat then another 3-4hours to where I'm from...my parents did that straight through with a 6 year old (me) and a 2 year old (my brother)...and my brother had extreme motion sickness (like we couldn't make it across town without him puking at that point in time...). If what's at the end is something you really want (for us that was seeing our grandparents and us being able to experience the beauty and fun of a small town where my parents grew up) then the drive is worth it.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Oh, and my mom is afraid the water...and thus afraid of being on boats...

Mirlyn

PT said:
That can't be Kansas, I see hills. Or maybe it's just the piles of cowshit....
Its western Kansas....its prolly not hills, I bet a cow bumped into the photographer ;)

Professur

MrBishop said:
Montreal to Wichita KS ~1551.96 miles

1551.96/70mph=22 hours :eek:

Take that 22hrs with a grain of salt. That's possible, with two drivers, and no stops longer than gas. I was looking at 20+ hours at 55mph to GA. Reality was about 6 hours longer.

I'm figuring about 3 hard days rolling to get there. (actually, I'm looking at the north ontario road and dropping south on the other side of thunder bay.)But I'm seriously looking at getting a "C" class for this one. Popups are great for milage, and they give you a vehicle when you're there, but the ability to just pull over to eat and sleep anywhere goes a long way.

HomeLAN

I'm thinking a stop perhaps around St. Louis. That's slightly over halfway.

Cat, if you wanted to convoy, that'd be OK. That way you could smoke in your car (that's strictly verboten in mine).

Professur

*giggle* I just looked up (as I'm reading this) and sitting on the shelf above my desk is my copy for a certain CD. Kansas - Carry on. Now I have to go get something to clean the tea off my monitor.

Mirlyn

Professur said:
Take that 22hrs with a grain of salt. That's possible, with two drivers, and no stops longer than gas. I was looking at 20+ hours at 55mph to GA. Reality was about 6 hours longer.
I made it to Ft Wayne, IN (almost halfway) in 12 with one stop. Cam made it in about 17 with several hours stopped in Toronto. With the kidlets, add generously to both sides. It could be done in two devoted days. But with the lakes and such, take your time and enjoy it.
HomeLAN said:
St Louis is almost 6hrs on the dot.

Professur

Mirlyn said:
I made it to Ft Wayne, IN (almost halfway) in 12 with one stop. Cam made it in about 17 with several hours stopped in Toronto. With the kidlets, add generously to both sides. It could be done in two devoted days. But with the lakes and such, take your time and enjoy it.
St Louis is almost 6hrs on the dot.

Ick, that's where Gonz is. I'm not stopping there.

But seriously, the trip to GA taught me a lot about long haul trips in the US. There won't be any more 20+ hour runs pulling a ton of trailer again.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
WHat fun is a vacation that you have to rush to the destination anyway? Anything over 13-14 hours, in a stretch, makes it work. 1500 miles? Drive, stop, drive, stop, eat, view, drive, stop.... the journey is as important as the destination.

MrBishop

Professur said:
Grain of salt? I'm talking a grain the size of Sodom and Gomorrah.
I've got 1 driver (me), add-on stops for the kidlets and for me to stretch legs, plus food and toilet breaks...22 hours would be a dream...a short one if I fall asleep at the wheel.

Most likely, I'd be flying out and back if i can come.

catocom

HomeLAN said:

Cat, if you wanted to convoy, that'd be OK. That way you could smoke in your car (that's strictly verboten in mine).
That sounds cool. I didn't think about the smoke. I don't blame ya.
I smoke still (so far) but If I had that ride "I" wouldn't even smoke in it. :brush:
Like I say I don't know if I'll even be able to go at this point, but I'm planning on it.
I'll have plenty of space left if you wanna carry more than what you can load,
when we decided if anything need bringing, like a grill or someting.... :)

Professur

MrBishop said:
Grain of salt? I'm talking a grain the size of Sodom and Gomorrah.
I've got 1 driver (me), add-on stops for the kidlets and for me to stretch legs, plus food and toilet breaks...22 hours would be a dream...a short one if I fall asleep at the wheel.

Most likely, I'd be flying out and back if i can come.

One driver?

HomeLAN

catocom said:
That sounds cool. I didn't think about the smoke. I don't blame ya.
I smoke still (so far) but If I had that ride "I" wouldn't even smoke in it. :brush:
Like I say I don't know if I'll even be able to go at this point, but I'm planning on it.
I'll have plenty of space left if you wanna carry more than what you can load,
when we decided if anything need bringing, like a grill or someting.... :)

Shit, dude, it's a wagon. Even a grill would be a tough fit, but doable. Appreciate the offer, though. I need to hear from Unc. We could probably rig a decent schedule with 3 drivers. Between the van and my shitbox, we'd have plenty o' space.