superstition defeats science

Professur

If I may ... a hypocrite is an athiest who celebrates Christmas. A tree hugger who drives to a protest rally. A parent who spanks their child for fighting.

chcr

Too cute for words
It's one of the most misused and misunderstood words in the language and, by and large, it's acceptable to be one in most circumstances (such as an atheist who celebrates Christmas ;) ). The negative connotations only seem to apply when someone does something that someone else doesn't like.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
chcr said:
It's one of the most misused and misunderstood words in the language and, by and large, it's acceptable to be one in most circumstances (such as an atheist who celebrates Christmas ;) ). The negative connotations only seem to apply when someone does something that someone else doesn't like.

Like I said. It's all in the context.

2minkey

bootlicker
Professur said:
If I may ... a hypocrite is an athiest who celebrates Christmas. A tree hugger who drives to a protest rally. A parent who spanks their child for fighting.

if i may object...

there are plenty of athiests, agnostics, and people that have serious disagreements with formal religious doctines that celebrate christmas, hannukah, and all kinds of other shit socially, under no pretense of being fully in-the-pocket christians, jews, whatever else, with the people they are celebrating with.

i've worn a fuckin' beanie more times than i can remember and there's been no mistaking me for a jew, let alone a religious one. in fact, that reminds me, i need to tell my friend how much his sister's orthodox wedding pissed me off, due to the fact that only men are allowed to talk during that shit, which i think is pretty fucking gay.

and i'm not sure the spanking parent is, exactly, a hypocrite either since the context of the violence, er, application of physical force, is different, with different social expectations and different relations of authority.

tree huggers, yeah. thems are hypocrites. i know. i work with lots of them. lousy communists.

chcr

Too cute for words
which i think is pretty fucking gay.
Quite the reverse, actually. :grinyes:

BTW, I am an atheist and I still think it's hypocritical to celebrate religious holidays. I do it, socially, but I don't lie to myself that it isn't hypocritical. OTOH, as I said, hypocrisy is not necessarily always a bad thing. As Gato pointed out, it's a matter of context.

2minkey

bootlicker
okay, sorry to do this but...

Main Entry: hyp·o·crite
Pronunciation: 'hi-p&-"krit
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English ypocrite, from Anglo-French, from Late Latin hypocrita, from Greek hypokritEs actor, hypocrite, from hypokrinesthai
1 : a person who puts on a false appearance of virtue or religion
2 : a person who acts in contradiction to his or her stated beliefs or feelings

i appreciate the casual take on hypocrisy that you take - in fact in some ways it's probably far healthier than the polarizing formal definition, but for the most part, any allegation of "hypocrisy" is quite serious.

plus, we're americans, and it's un-american to take moderate/casual, non-extreme views.

i'm only half joking. if i knew the UBB code for this board i'd place some sort of grin icon here.

maybe instead of hypocrisy we could call it "being a bit of a weenie?"

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
chcr said:
Quite the reverse, actually. :grinyes:

BTW, I am an atheist and I still think it's hypocritical to celebrate religious holidays. I do it, socially, but I don't lie to myself that it isn't hypocritical. OTOH, as I said, hypocrisy is not necessarily always a bad thing. As Gato pointed out, it's a matter of context.

I don't know about that, I think it would be hypocrocy to pretend to pray in church if your an atheist. If you are going to celebrate with your family, and enjoy the togetherness, and don't pretend that you are something you are not, it is not hypocracy.

chcr

Too cute for words
2minkey said:
okay, sorry to do this but...

Main Entry: hyp·o·crite
Pronunciation: 'hi-p&-"krit
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English ypocrite, from Anglo-French, from Late Latin hypocrita, from Greek hypokritEs actor, hypocrite, from hypokrinesthai
1 : a person who puts on a false appearance of virtue or religion
2 : a person who acts in contradiction to his or her stated beliefs or feelings

i appreciate the casual take on hypocrisy that you take - in fact in some ways it's probably far healthier than the polarizing formal definition, but for the most part, any allegation of "hypocrisy" is quite serious.

plus, we're americans, and it's un-american to take moderate/casual, non-extreme views.

i'm only half joking. if i knew the UBB code for this board i'd place some sort of grin icon here.

Never apologize for trying to be precise.
I was actually aware of the definition though.
Re 1, virtually everyone does this most of the time. It's called being polite. Walk up to the next girl you're attracted to and say, "Wanna fuck?" You'll get hit but you won't be a hypocrite. I'm not joking at all. Everybody who isn't functionally insane tries to act like they're a better person than they probably believe they are. This exactly fits the definition but it is no bad thing.
Re 2, this is usually the bad one. I don't generally do it but I know plenty of people who do. This does not necessarily make them bad people.

With both definitions though, the most important consideration is context. There are plenty of circumstances under which this is not a bad thing. I don't generally take a casual attitude toward words and their usage, I just try to be precise.
It's very American, it's just not good press.

Professur

2minkey said:
if i may object...

there are plenty of athiests, agnostics, and people that have serious disagreements with formal religious doctines that celebrate christmas, hannukah, and all kinds of other shit socially, under no pretense of being fully in-the-pocket christians, jews, whatever else, with the people they are celebrating with.

Sorry, but no, actually, they're not celebrating. As you say, they're being social. They're not one and the same.

Chic ...... you know better than to suggest that the majority is sane. They're just accepted.

chcr

Too cute for words
Professur said:
Sorry, but no, actually, they're not celebrating. As you say, they're being social. They're not one and the same.

Chic ...... you know better than to suggest that the majority is sane. They're just accepted.
The majority is always sane no matter how crazy they are. :shrug:

Gato_Solo

2minkey said:

Since we're still on the topic of hypocrisy, I'd like to add this, as this is what I saw as the hypocrisy...

Hezbollah fires rockets indiscriminately into Haifa. They've been doing it for years, and, since we were in Iraq, Israel did nothing because they didn't want to throw a monkeywrench in our works in Baghdad. The world said/did nothing. Now Hezbollah, emboldened by the lack of due consideration by the world decides to kidnap Israeli soldiers. Israel says, basically, "enough is enough", and decides to get rid of a major thorn in their side. Now, all of a sudden, everybody who was silent...and complacent...on Hezbollah is condemning Israel. That is the hypocrisy. Seems like as long as only Christians and Jews get killed, nobody gives a damn. Fight back, and you're condemned.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Gato_Solo said:
Seems like as long as only Christians and Jews get killed, nobody gives a damn.

That is the crux of the modern media & their liberal cronies. Across the board. It's okay to put prayer rooms in public buildings to appease the Muslims but you'd damned well better not say jack shit if it refers to Jesus or Jehovah. Hell, that's part of the reason I've started suporting the religious doctrine. Because its unfailry maligned.

Professur

Gonz said:
That is the crux of the modern media & their liberal cronies. Across the board. It's okay to put prayer rooms in public buildings to appease the Muslims but you'd damned well better not say jack shit if it refers to Jesus or Jehovah. Hell, that's part of the reason I've started suporting the religious doctrine. Because its unfailry maligned.

Simply because we've shed the radical element over the centuries ... in the name of human rights. A couple of hundred years back, it was christians that had the special prayer rooms. It's less than a decade that a muslim in a hospital can go to the chapel and not have the Christian cross hanging over his head.

Gato_Solo

Professur said:
Simply because we've shed the radical element over the centuries ... in the name of human rights. A couple of hundred years back, it was christians that had the special prayer rooms. It's less than a decade that a muslim in a hospital can go to the chapel and not have the Christian cross hanging over his head.

More than a couple hundred...and that was mostly because early Christians were tortured and killed. Our religions came about at roughly the same time...within 200 or so years. As for the rest of the statement...Christians aren't even allowed inside a mosque without special dispensation from the head imam, and never allowed to pray there. Even converted muslims have to worship outside of mosques in the ME. Allowed to Mecca...yes. Allowed to worship in the mosques there...no.

spike

Gato_Solo said:
Since we're still on the topic of hypocrisy, I'd like to add this, as this is what I saw as the hypocrisy...

the world decides to kidnap Israeli soldiers. Israel says, basically, "enough is enough"

On the topic of hypocrisy, everybody keeps forgetting that Israel kidnapped a couple people a month before.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
Gato_Solo said:
More than a couple hundred...and that was mostly because early Christians were tortured and killed. Our religions came about at roughly the same time...within 200 or so years. As for the rest of the statement...Christians aren't even allowed inside a mosque without special dispensation from the head imam, and never allowed to pray there. Even converted muslims have to worship outside of mosques in the ME. Allowed to Mecca...yes. Allowed to worship in the mosques there...no.

I was allowed in a mosque, no problem.

and everyone is welcome in the temple my mom goes too, though the inner sanctum of the religous temples is for jewish men only. Just the rules.

If it is "not kosher" for non mulims to enter a relegious mosque, i don't have a problem with it.

Gotholic

chcr said:
That article proves my point. If morality were absolute rather than subjective, then there would be no need to teach right from wrong. Everyone would be born knowing it. See, you continually misunderstand what I'm saying. Do I think ours are better? Of course I do, just like you do. If you (or anyone else) had been raised in a society with different moral values, you would hold those rather than the ones you hold now. :shrug:

Edit: In case you missed it, clearly the Brits are idiots. If you don't teach children right from wrong, they won't know.

Well, we all learned the multiplication table at school. But that would not make the multiplication table a mere human convention. Mathematics are real truths whether or not one is taught them.

You are measuring morales by a standard the moment you say one set of morales are better than anothers. Therfore, you are comparing both with a real Right - actually admitting there is one.

Throughout history there have a difference in moralities, but there was never a total difference.

Gato_Solo

paul_valaru said:
I was allowed in a mosque, no problem.

In the Middle East, or in Canada. Big difference. ;)

p_v said:
and everyone is welcome in the temple my mom goes too, though the inner sanctum of the religous temples is for jewish men only. Just the rules.

If it is "not kosher" for non mulims to enter a relegious mosque, i don't have a problem with it.

But the ones being refused entry are muslims. :shrug: