The End of an Era, Pt. 2

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Gato_Solo said:
It's built to sit in a corner, Luis, and bounce the sound off the walls. Not a very good design, as it would have to sit closer to the wall to be effective.

Yes I knew that, I don't know how he put it because the pics taken when it was not finished does not match in any way the "final" pic.

Inkara1

The horn is split in two... however, bass is non-directional. The horns for the mids and highs are forward-firing.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Inkara1 said:
The horn is split in two... however, bass is non-directional. The horns for the mids and highs are forward-firing.

Then why is there a screen in the back?

Gato_Solo

Inkara1 said:
What screen in the back?

You mean you can't see that black screen that will be facing the corner?

Look again.

:rolleyes:

klipschorn_3_300.jpg

Inkara1

There's no black screen facing the corner. The point you see in the back there goes into the corner.

Gato_Solo

Inkara1 said:
There's no black screen facing the corner. The point you see in the back there goes into the corner.

Look at the pic again...starting on the side of that brown veneer, there is black screening material. I can't believe you're that blind...:p

Inkara1

Out the sides. The screen (and the other one not seen) would need to be rotated 90 degrees to face the corner.

Gato_Solo

Inkara1 said:
Out the sides. The screen (and the other one not seen) would need to be rotated 90 degrees to face the corner.

So it's made to reflect off of the wall?

Not too different than this, right?

Oh...and just for a reference, this is a rear shot of 901 series II speakers. They're supposed to go in a corner as well...

Inkara1

The wall would strengthen the bass, but it's definitely not hte same design as the 901. The midrange and tweeter point straight out on the Klipschorn while the deaign uses the wall to effectively lengthen the bass horn. On the 901, the same sound coming out the front-firing tweeter comes out the rear-firing one as well to bounce it off the wall and make a more airy sound. The two speakers use the walls in different ways.

Gato_Solo

Inkara1 said:
The wall would strengthen the bass, but it's definitely not hte same design as the 901. The midrange and tweeter point straight out on the Klipschorn while the deaign uses the wall to effectively lengthen the bass horn. On the 901, the same sound coming out the front-firing tweeter comes out the rear-firing one as well to bounce it off the wall and make a more airy sound. The two speakers use the walls in different ways.

But the premis is the same, yes? And I wouldn't trust most walls to strengthen bass. Depending on the drywall, you could get quite a bit of vibration out of a wall not purpose-built for those speakers. Also...the 901's use 6 1/2" woofers only. :shrug: Most people who like 'booming bass' don't like that because it doesn't 'boom'. Personally, I think that's a good thing, as booming bass usually equals muddy everything else.

Gato_Solo

Inkara1 said:
I just did a little looking on eBay and the 901 doens't use a 6 1/2" woofer. It uses nine four-inch drivers, eight on the back and one on the front. This picture you posted is of a Bose 301 setup... which uses a 8" woofer.

I also posted the 901 url. And the 901 used 6 1/2"...according to the guy down the hall from me in Panama that owned a set. I was never into the 901's, though, and never looked past 701's...which I figured I'd never need due to the size of my room at the time.