The End of an Era, Pt. 2

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Inkara1 said:
I've always thought this is a bad-ass speaker system.

So after Bose spent all that time developing the direct-reflecting speaker system, culminating in the 901 series, Klipsch decides to make one, and is hailed for it? I don't get it...:confuse2:

JJR512

Klipsch was making their speakers long before Bose was around. And Klipsch's speakers aren't exactly the same, or the same idea. Finally, if one product is crappy, and another product is designed on the same principles, it doesn't necessarily follow that the second product will be crappy, too.

Gato_Solo

JJR512 said:
Klipsch was making their speakers long before Bose was around. And Klipsch's speakers aren't exactly the same, or the same idea. Finally, if one product is crappy, and another product is designed on the same principles, it doesn't necessarily follow that the second product will be crappy, too.

Hate to say this, but Klipsch was, and is, famous for their horn speakers...not direct-reflecting. Secondly, as long as you stay away from those annoying cubes, Bose makes excellent speakers. I ran a set of 301 series II speakers for quite sometime that never gave me any distortion no matter what volume I had the amp set to. In fact I can remember the volume being so loud that I had to go outdoors...again with no distortion. Just because you went trendy, it doesn't mean that the whole company is bad. :lloyd:

alex

Gato_Solo said:
Just because you went trendy, it doesn't mean that the whole company is bad. :lloyd:

Except for the fact that their products are ridiculously overpriced and you can never use Best Buy 10% off coupons on Bose products.

I chose Cerwin Vega speakers over Bose 901 speakers 25 years ago. The 901's had no bass to them whatsoever......just high pitched tone. The Cerwin Vega's sounded much better to the ear.

JJR512

Gato_Solo said:
Hate to say this, but Klipsch was, and is, famous for their horn speakers...not direct-reflecting.
That's exactly my point. I said that Klipsch speakers weren't the same or even the same idea; it was you who brought up Bose in reference to Klipsch making the same thing, not me. That speaker that Inkara1 brought up is a Klipsch horn speaker, their original, and far superior to anything from Bose.

Gato_Solo said:
Secondly, as long as you stay away from those annoying cubes, Bose makes excellent speakers. I ran a set of 301 series II speakers for quite sometime that never gave me any distortion no matter what volume I had the amp set to. In fact I can remember the volume being so loud that I had to go outdoors...again with no distortion. Just because you went trendy, it doesn't mean that the whole company is bad. :lloyd:
It's actually Bose that's usually considered to be trendy. If you had Bose speakers and they seemed fine to you, good for you. Speakers are subjective. You can show that one speaker is superior to another with quantitative testing, but if the inferior speaker sounds better to you, the tests make no difference, nor should they. As for the company itself...I raised issues related to that in the original thread, but it's not important enough to me to repeat it. Bottom line for me is if you don't know what you're missing and can be satisfied with Bose, hey, it's your money and your experience. More power to you.

Gato_Solo

JJR512 said:
That's exactly my point. I said that Klipsch speakers weren't the same or even the same idea; it was you who brought up Bose in reference to Klipsch making the same thing, not me. That speaker that Inkara1 brought up is a Klipsch horn speaker, their original, and far superior to anything from Bose.

If you look at the picture, you can see the speakers arranged in the typical 'Bose' pattern.

It's actually Bose that's usually considered to be trendy. If you had Bose speakers and they seemed fine to you, good for you. Speakers are subjective. You can show that one speaker is superior to another with quantitative testing, but if the inferior speaker sounds better to you, the tests make no difference, nor should they. As for the company itself...I raised issues related to that in the original thread, but it's not important enough to me to repeat it. Bottom line for me is if you don't know what you're missing and can be satisfied with Bose, hey, it's your money and your experience. More power to you.

Not their bookshelf and floor speakers. Just the cubes.

alex said:
Except for the fact that their products are ridiculously overpriced and you can never use Best Buy 10% off coupons on Bose products.

Maybe you should've tried somewhere else. I got my 301's for just a tick over $250 when I bought them in 1991. Way cheaper than the Cerwin Vegas they had sitting next to them...and the sound was much better. Mind you, I was looking at bookshelf speakers, and the 901 series II speakers were useless without that box they wanted extra for...:shrug: If it's only booming bass you like, though...

JJR512

Gato_Solo said:
If you look at the picture, you can see the speakers arranged in the typical 'Bose' pattern.
We must be talking about two different things, then. I thought we were talking about the Klipsh speaker that Inkara1 linked to. That's just a picture of one speaker sitting all by itself, not multiple speakers arranged in any pattern. Regardless, that speaker is not like Bose speakers, and we seem to be disagreeing on the fact that we agree on this.

Gato_Solo

klipschorn_3_300.jpg

I see a screen on both sides...meaning Klipsch is using a system akin to direct-reflecting. It ain't my picture...;)

Inkara1

The klipschorn tweeter and midrange horn fire firward. There's one forward-firing woofer, which has a folded hown with two outputs. The speaker sits in the corner.

Gato_Solo

Inkara1 said:
The klipschorn tweeter and midrange horn fire firward. There's one forward-firing woofer, which has a folded hown with two outputs. The speaker sits in the corner.

Does it fire in two different directions at the same time? This is yes, or no, Inky, so as not to bore Leslie any more than necessary. :D

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
I still don't understand the diagram of how it is built. On one part the edges are not 2 straight lines like in the final picture :confuse3:

Gato_Solo

Luis G said:
I still don't understand the diagram of how it is built. On one part the edges are not 2 straight lines like in the final picture :confuse3:

It's built to sit in a corner, Luis, and bounce the sound off the walls. Not a very good design, as it would have to sit closer to the wall to be effective.