The Merrie Monarch, featuring ku'u

nalani

Here are a few pics of last night's exhibition ... sorry I didn't get any close ups of ku'u, but she was on the other side of the stage for most of the performance ... she was, however, beautiful ... an actual "girl" :D

nalani

semi-scantily clad men ... unfortunately, they're all related to us ...

all the great ones usually are ... bastards :D

nalani

how pretty are they?

you could pass them on the street and you'd never know they could be this pretty :D

greenfreak

thank you SO MUCH!!!!

Those pictures are awesome! Wow, you all look great! And those green dresses, whoo! Can I have one?? :D

Thank you so much for taking the pictures, they're going to be saved to my hard drive as soon as I get home. :)

Oh and your leis look great!

never2muchRAM

i am sooooo jealous.
i was supposed to go with my halau this year
but i had to have knee surgery in january and
i am still rehabing it now.

congrats ku'u!!! the hard work finally paid off.
isnt that such a great feeling?

i've never been to the big island before anyway
and i REALLY want to go. my family in san francisco
has a huge halau, too and they went a couple
years ago for one of the big fete (they mostly do
tahitian. that's what i learned, i just started getting
into hula kahiko) and i couldnt go then either.
i guess there is always next year.

ku'ulani, nalani
where you folks stay, anyway? i've been trying
to find out since i've registered. MAUI NO KA OI! :D

greenfreak said:
Oh and your leis look great!
that reminds me, i've got to get those leis ready to send to the mainland to my friends for lei day. it's coming soon!

greenfreak

N2MR, Ku'u spawned a buying frenzy in me... I asked her what flowers they used in their leis, and she told me one of them was plumeria, I went looking at them... And I liked them so much, I ordered 7 cuttings from Aloha Palms in Kailua-Kona. :D Did I mention how much of an influence these two ladies have on me? It's scary, really. :)

kuulani

greenie, i saw some plumeria cuttings at a store here ... $2.50!! Didn't you get it way cheaper?!

n2mr, you from maui? my family is from maui!! what part of maui are you from? nalani, halamikage, & I are in hilo - living it up with the Merrie Monarch festivities!!

greenfreak

I got them for $1.99 each :) You have no idea how expensive they are over here. One place in Florida has cuttings for at least $15.00 and graftings for $18.00. Of course, I'll be paying a bit for shipping ($7.00) but no tax. That's not bad at all! I can't wait to get them and plant them!! :D

Ku'u, you really looked beautiful! I'm so happy I finally saw pictures... Now next year, I want a video. :D

nalani

greenie - you're very, very, welcome :)

It was a great night - exhibition night always is ... no competition ... just dance in its purest form ...

Prof - the Stadium that the festival is held in is named after my grandmother ... and still, I get no preferential (sp?) treatment when it comes to seating ... unless, of course, I am with one of my aunties ... :D

n2mr - where on Maui are you? I have family in Hana ... ku'u's entire family pretty much comes from Maui ... what halau are you dancing for? [/20 question segment] :D

never2muchRAM

i'm living in kihei and i was dancing with Kumu Kekoa and Halau Hula O Ka Ua Pa'upili. i was only dancing for a few months before my knee needed surgery (from a triathlon injury) and had to take a break. i will go back to dancing very soon. i could go back now, but i've been so busy... you know how that goes. i never did hula until recently. i grew up in SF where my family (aunties and uncles) have big halau there but almost all of the stuff we did there for the guys was tahitian. so i danced tahitian and drumed toere (spelling?) when i was younger (mostly drum) and went to some of the fete. then i wanted to start getting back into it when i was older and living in santa barbara and so i joined the poly club at UCSB and drumed and danced a little more. when i moved out here a several years ago i took notice of hula kahiko and wanted to learn to dance and chant kahiko, but i never had the time (because of the triathlon stuff.) i injured my knee a year ago training for Ironman (also on your island) and had more time so i started hula while i was trying to rehab my knee. the rehad didnt work, so i had to have surgery and that's where i am today.

there it is, the complete unedited version of my life story :D. i get carried away sometimes. sorry.

ku'u - where is your family? what halau are they associated with? have you been dancing since you were very little?
most of my family is on o'ahu and my brother lives on kaua'i

greenie - make sure you dont overwater those plumeria. :) tuberose are also very fragrant and used in some lei. my favorite for women are the awapuhi lei and i am trying to teach myself how to make those. of course i think the kukui nut and shell lei look the best on the men, like the ones in those pictures above.