The Merrie Monarch, featuring ku'u

greenfreak

Don't tell me you know about growing plumies too!! *dies and goes to heaven*

ah, who am I kidding...

*dies and goes to hell*

Seriously, I heard that too, that when I root them, I have to be very careful I don't water too much or they'll rot. I frequent www.gardenweb.com for all my plant info. After Ku'u mentioned them and I saw a picture, I went crazy downloading and printing information, they're just right for my lawn out front. Full sun, no shade and my lawn has a lot of sand in it cus I'm three blocks from the beach. :)

nalani

I love SanFrancisco ... I stay with Kawika Alfiche when I'm there ... and I love to hang out at his coffee place ... hey - do you know a big guy named "Liko"? They call him "House" ... he's from SF and lives here now ... figured you might know him.

Ku'u is gone for the day but I can answer some of your questions. She dances for our family halau - Halau O Kekuhi. She's married to my cousin, who is the son of one of the Kumu. She's been dancing for the halau since her college days ... I took a break from dancing a few years ago because school, work, and kids don't afford me time for dancing ... it's 500% committment with our halau :D

never2muchRAM

nalani said:
...do you know a big guy named "Liko"? They call him "House"...
OH MY GOD!!! you know Liko??? how nice for you. i have no idea who that is!!! :D sorry, i had to do that!

i actually didnt live in SF when i was younger. about 15 minutes south of there in san mateo. the halau was in SF but now it is in daly city. i moved from san mateo almost 10 years ago when i was 18, so i dont really know THAT many people there anymore. :D

nalani said:
...it's 500% committment with our halau :D
that's exactly what i was used to seeing from the adults when i was a kid. of course, when you're little you dont work like the adults and you dont appreciate it as much, you just want to hang out with your friends (at least that was me.) my folks split when i was 3 and i was mostly raised by my mom, so the time i spent at the halau was limited (my dad's family has the halau.) plus in my family, the girls did hula, the boys learned martial arts. the family shared the studio for both things. the boys only drumed and danced a little. now i wish i would have paid more attention and practiced more when i was younger, but i was too busy being into football and rap music and, well... let's be honest here, ... girls!!! :ladysman: wait. ?( where was i going will all this? oh yeah, 500% commitment. so i feel kind of guilty about not going to hula so i dont want to go back, cuz i feel guilty. but then since i dont go back i feel MORE GUILTY. it's this vicious circle. i know when i have a little more time, i'll go back and put forth a lot of effort again and everyone will be happy i'm back and all, but i dont want Kumu to think i am being flaky. i really do practice when i am going again. sometimes i think i am trying to live too many lives at one time. oh well.

greenfreak said:
Don't tell me you know about growing plumies too!!
of course. i am one of those nature type people most of the time. it's hard to live out here and not learn about growing plants like plumeria, papaya, pakalolo :D j/k my favorite are actually orchids. i have them all over my house. i try to travel a lot and i always have to make sure i can get someone to come over and mist them for me when i'm gone. they're like my pets.

halamikage

Oh she did alright! :headbang:

I screamed proudly in the bleachers when she danced. The Halau O Kekuhi women so proved that they can be pretty. [Note: Most, no wait, ALL of the women in the halau are pretty much manilier than most of the men! :) No joke.]

unclehobart

You in the photos at all, Miki?

We need full minute to minute details.

Siggys place is going to have a fire sale on the 24th of May. I need to contract one of you out as an advance buyer agent for me. Any of you women into shopping for bargains? :D

halamikage

kuulani said:
b]nalani, halamikage, & I[/b] are in hilo - living it up with the Merrie Monarch festivities!!

We gotta live it up while we can...this kind of festivities only happen once a year in Hilo.

There's pretty much only 2 events that we Hilo folks have to look forward to...Merrie Monarch and Haili Tournament (volleyball)...that's it. The most action that Hilo sees is with these events. And then of course if the family decides to have some kind of conference

kuulani

never2muchRAM said:
[ my favorite are actually orchids. i have them all over my house.

oh no!! you don't know what you may have started with this sentence. rusty better tie greenie down!! ;)

halamikage

unclehobart said:

Sorry not in there. I stopped dancing a few years ago to get my shit together and graduate from college. Haven't been back yet.

Like Na said, 500% commitment....its hard to go back to that when you've been lounging for soooooo long.

unclehobart said:
We need full minute to minute details.

*announcer announces "Under the direction of Na Kumu Hula, Nalani Kanaka'ole and Pualani Kanahele....Hilo's own...Halau O Kekuhi"*

*crowds goes furiously wild*

*the ipu pa's and Aunty starts the note*

*halau is off to the side, chanting with all their heart and soul*

*the crowd goes wild once again as the halau takes the stage*

Okay...I'm not good at this. Na we should have video'd it.

unclehobart

Who supplied the fabric? Was it all cut from a single batch run roll.. or is that just a common enough design that was readily available for you to all to work independently?

unclehobart

halamikage said:
unclehobart wrote:

Sorry not in there. I stopped dancing a few years ago to get my shit together and graduate from college. Haven't been back yet.

Like Na said, 500% commitment....its hard to go back to that when you've been lounging for soooooo long.
I was thinking that you might have been one of the faces in the crowd. I keep waiting to catch a glimpse of you.

kuulani

never2muchRAM said:
ku'u - where is your family? what halau are they associated with? have you been dancing since you were very little?
most of my family is on o'ahu and my brother lives on kaua'i

my family is mostly on maui - kahakuloa, honolua, lahaina, kihei, wailuku - some on oahu, and i'm here in hilo :D

as nan said, I'm with the Halau o Kekuhi. my maui family is associated with Aunty Emma Sharpe's halau, now dancing with Aunty Cathy. In fact, my 4-yr old niece just had her first performance at the Lahaina Cannery :D

halamikage

What's more funny is that during their show, there were 2 fights that almost broke out with they're family members!

You see, the thing is, Halau O Kekuhi is the HUGEST crowd pleaser on Ho'ike Night....every year people go wild over their performances! The energy is pumping and there's nothing else to do but scream with excitement. This year, people around these two family members (who were sitting in different places in the stadium) felt that they shouldn't scream and holler whilst the performance. I tell ya, it would have been just as entertaining to see these two women fight these people.

There is one thing you cannot tell us while we're screaming in support of our family members....SHUT UP! You're just asking to get bitch-slapped.

kuulani

unclehobart said:
Who supplied the fabric? Was it all cut from a single batch run roll.. or is that just a common enough design that was readily available for you to all to work independently?

The fabric is from Uncle Sig - a whole bolt of it made 'specially for us :D

halamikage

unclehobart said:
I was thinking that you might have been one of the faces in the crowd. I keep waiting to catch a glimpse of you.

Its Na's fault. If she would have just panned a little bit more towards the front of the stage, she would have caught me in the bleachers in the back. [j/k Na] Oh well. :D

unclehobart

Rock on. Will you be able to wear the dresses again for different events in the future? ... or are they meant more as one time only prom dresses? aka... too formal/flashy for daily wear.

Got a spring cleaning email from siggys place and have ordered a few more shirts. @ 44$ apiece ... its darn near a steal.