The Mexican Left

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Everything sold at a loss? Not quite. Everything may be sold at or below STORE cost but the company is making out quite nicely. Even that $39. loss leader is making money, for corporate. The store buys from them & resells. Retail economics.

Inkara1

I can personally guarantee you that nothing in the store is sold at a loss, with the exception of iPods and the occasional one-time-only loss leader. CDs aren't loss leaders. There simply would not be that many loss leaders in order to get a few plasma TVs and service plans sold. That makes no economic sense and if someone told you that, they're full of shit. Guaranteed.

I should also mention that word-of-mouth advertising is more powerful than TV advertising, for better and for worse.

Altron

Well, there's a term "PMI" that they throw around a lot, which I think is something to do with the store profit. Profit Margin something? Basically, PMI is the barometer for how well the store is doing financially, and for whether the managers get their bonus. I've been told by management that small ticket items do not help PMI much, if at all, it's mostly warranties, high-markup items, and services that do it.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
how well the store is doing financially
post 41
whether the managers get their bonus
Cue the whining little bitches.
CDs, DVDs, video games & car stereos make the store meet its expenses. Without those, no matter how many big-ticket items get sold, the store goes broke. Big money fluff is nice but it doesn't pay the bills. It creates profit.

Mirlyn

I don't want them to buy CDs if they're only visiting the country.
Just gotta ask.....

If you went to Europe, would you like them to think the same if you tried to buy a CD? How about food? Hotel? Just curious....

By the way, BBY held the same theory. CDs are sold at a near loss. If you counted labor and associated overhead, it would be a loss compared to other products. Everything else they make more on (hint, look at margin rates).

Altron

Yeah, but this is New Jersey. People don't go to New Jersey. Maybe if we were in a touristy spot like NY, I could see a lot of foreigners. We don't even get that many people from out of state shopping here. In New Jersey, you need to pay a toll to LEAVE.

Mirlyn

Yeah, but this is New Jersey. People don't go to New Jersey. Maybe if we were in a touristy spot like NY, I could see a lot of foreigners. We don't even get that many people from out of state shopping here. In New Jersey, you need to pay a toll to LEAVE.

Yeah, we have tourist problems here too.

:p

Inkara1

Well, there's a term "PMI" that they throw around a lot, which I think is something to do with the store profit. Profit Margin something? Basically, PMI is the barometer for how well the store is doing financially, and for whether the managers get their bonus. I've been told by management that small ticket items do not help PMI much, if at all, it's mostly warranties, high-markup items, and services that do it.

Small-ticket or big-ticket doesn't determine the store's profit margin. It's about percentages. Your store makes a much better killing on a $10 mouse than it does on a $1200 laptop. I spent a couple of weeks working in the building materials department at Home Depot and found out that the store makes a couple of pennies on each sheet of plywood or each bag of concrete... but almost every cent made on the 99¢ plastic putty knife is profit. When you're selling TVs... so they tell you to sell more TVs? Or do they tell you to sell a TV... and get them to also get a TV stand, a universal remote, batteries for the remote, cables, etc.? Accessories are the high-markup items that help the store's bottom line. It's not the microcassette recorder; it's the tapes and batteries. It's not the cell phone; it's the leather case, car charger and bluetooth headset. It's not the VCR; it's the cables and blank tapes. It's not the computer; it's the upgraded mouse, printer cable, printer paper, mouse pad and surge protector. It's not the iPod (in fact, Apple makes stores sell the iPod at a loss), it's the upgraded headphones, the case, the speaker system, the FM transmitter and the arm band.

All these things I mentioned are not only pure profit... they're also things customers want and/or need to have to go with their larger items. That makes them easy sales... and if the salesman forgets to mention those things, it's an almost certain sale for some other store closer to where the customer lives. Ah, shit, I forgot to get paper for the new printer... oh well, I need to head to Wal-Mart to pick up my prescription anyway, I'll just get some there.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Accessories are the high-markup items that help the store's bottom line.

I don't know when life altered in such a bad way but I can recall giving away RCA plugs to close a sale. Now, you go to Best Buy & the goddamned things are $120. freaking dollars for composite plugs. Hell, the damned HDMI cable is $50. Fuck that.

Altron

What kills me is people spending $69.99 on our sale printer and $25.99 on a generic USB cable.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
But having a gold-plated cable is just peace of mind for the wackos :p

Altron

Yeah, wouldn't want the cable that you plug in once and then completely ignore corrode? Wouldn't want to need to use those error checking bits, would you?

*thinks that USB has some sort of error correction, not really sure*

Inkara1

The gold-plated makes for better long-term contact. Oh, I'd also suggest getting a spare black and color cartridge so that if you run out of ink in the lower-capacity starter cartridge during a midnight project, you won't have to wait until the store opens in the morning to print. You'll want some copy paper for day-to-day printing, and also some photo paper if you really want to take advantage of what your printer is capable of.

:D

Mirlyn

But having a gold-plated cable is just peace of mind for the wackos :p

Are you freakin kidding? It offers 10% faster data transfer rates. The package says so!

nevermind the absurdity of corrosion-resistance tech on a cable with a useful life of only a few years, or the actual data transmission rates on a freakin printer make old-school PIO look like a Ferrari...

Altron

I also get really graphic with the flexibility of our accidental damage warranty.

"So say you're writing your term paper and your hard drive crashes on your laptop and you lose everything. What do you do? Throw it out the window and run it over with your car? With our Accidental Damage protection plan, all you would need to do is bring it into the store, and we would give you a brand new one!"

Mirlyn

I also get really graphic with the flexibility of our accidental damage warranty.

"So say you're writing your term paper and your hard drive crashes on your laptop and you lose everything. What do you do? Throw it out the window and run it over with your car? With our Accidental Damage protection plan, all you would need to do is bring it into the store, and we would give you a brand new one!"

Are you serious? I hated people like you. Ever had to actually tell the customer what the plan REALLY covers when they acutally try to use the warranty? Oh, I bet not.

I'm just too damn honest to fuck with people like that. Hope you know the exact in's and out's on that warranty better than anyone in the store before you pitch that sale.

Altron

Are you serious? I hated people like you. Ever had to actually tell the customer what the plan REALLY covers when they acutally try to use the warranty? Oh, I bet not.

I'm just too damn honest to fuck with people like that.

Actually, the warranty does cover that.

We have the good ol' 24 month warranty, which covers internal problems, like if the hard drive dies, or the battery stops working, or it doesn't connect to your PC.

Then there's the 25 month accidental warranty, which covers everything except fire and theft.

Mirlyn

Actually, the warranty does cover that.

We have the good ol' 24 month warranty, which covers internal problems, like if the hard drive dies, or the battery stops working, or it doesn't connect to your PC.

Then there's the 25 month accidental warranty, which covers everything except fire and theft.
So you're saying a simple software corruption will be answered with complete and immediate hardware replacement by the warranty? Software wasn't covered by the PSPs at BBY. Could be different across the street, I guess.

I've seen the attemps to claim the insect infestation, water damage, abuse, etc normally addressed in the fine print as not covered.