The "rich" needs a tax break

Jeslek

Banned
I know... That is unfortunate. But we can start by fixing the income tax. Property tax isn't such a big deal to me right now because I don't completely understand it nor do I know what you get out of it.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
If you ask, you are likely to get the answer that property taxes pay for schools, which sounds great. Unfortunatly, so were the taxes they were going to get from starting State Lotterys, Riverboat Gambling, and a variety of other taxes. If the schools really got all the money from all of that, my kid would have a private tutor, a laptop, and a chauffered limo to school everyday.

Jeslek

Banned
Hmm, it is different in Canada. As far as I know, property taxes goes to things such as sewage and garbage removal. Education comes out of the provincial budget, not the municipal budget. But property taxes are more fair. No matter what your income, everyone pays the same should they own the same piece of land.

Squiggy

ThunderDick
Good point, PT...In Jersey, Gambling/lottery funds are earmarked for education and the elderly...They don't spend much of ti on those things. They get around the law by banking it and spending the interest wherever they want..

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Money doesn't fix schools anyway. In the DC area, the city kids get something like $10,400. per student, per year. In the surrounding MD area, it's about $8500. The literacy rates in DC is under 40%. In MD it's 90%+.

PT

It's based on property value here too. Of course, the more you own, the more you pay. You also pay it on vehicles, not just real estate. It does go down pretty drastically if you own older cars, but new vehicles can be fairly expensive tax wise. You pay for sewage and garbage removal yourself here, sewage is usually a municipal thing, but garbage is a private industry.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Our water bill includes sewage & garbage. If you leave the city, garbage is extra.

PT

Yes, sewage is on my water bill too, it kind of scares me that the same people take care of both, actually.

Jeslek

Banned
Education is the cornerstone of society. I do think that there should be some form of universal education. However, I also respect those parents that wish to send their kids to private schools. They should not be forced to pay taxes AND private tuition fees.

Suppose some state decides it is going to spend a total of $10,000 per child per year on education. Should a parent decide to put his child in a regular government school, fine... no extra charges to the parent. However, if the parents decide to put their child in a private school that charges $15,000 per student per year, then the government is reponsible to redirect $10,000 to that school. The parents can fill in the rest.

If parents home school, well, that makes things a bit more complicated... I don't know yet. Probably give them a refund on their tax for that?

Jeslek

Banned
Here in the Toronto area, garbage removal is done by the municipal government, but they subcontract the work out to other companies. I think the funds come out of your property tax. I'm not sure who pays for sewage and that... Actually, I don't really know where the money for property tax goes. Time to go and research I think.

PT

They've been trying to get the voucher system here for years, the public schools claim it will put them out of business, but I think it would be good to feel a little pressure.

Jeslek

Banned
Ontario got the voucher system, but then a few months later the new premier got rid of it. Wonderful. In the meantime, parents are forced to pay the horrendous amount of taxes + tuition fees. They are essentially forcing the parents to pay for the education twice over. Punishing them for wanting a better education for their child. :rolleyes:

PT

Yep, here in the states, or at least Missouri, it's the top 2% that can actually afford to send their child to private school. I think the voucher system would be good myself, if they public schools aren't up to snuff, they would get there soon. And if it went totally private, at least it would have to stay competitive.

Jeslek

Banned
I do not have a problem though, with paying a bit of taxes to support those children whose parents can't afford to send them to school.

The problem with schools is that it ain't competitive right now. Make it a capitalistic system and prices will go down and quality will go up.

PT

I doubt the prices would go down, there would just be a whole new price structure. Do you want your child to get a 10,000 a year education or a 20,000? It would be tough to make the call.

flavio

Banned
Jerrek said:
flavio said:
So when I said "I thought you only work part of the year and don't pay taxes" it sounds like that was true.

And by saying "You thought wrong" you actually meant "You are correct sir".

So I assume that above is cleared up now too?

Are your words intentionally misleading or is it something you just can't help?
Um you really don't make sense. You said "don't pay taxes", and I said you thought wrong, because I do pay EI and CPP.

Fact is that you don't pay federal taxes which is what this thread is about. This makes you look like an idiot for running your mouth.

Sort of like when you started the election threads and didn't even vote.

Jeslek

Banned
flavio said:
Jerrek said:
flavio said:
So when I said "I thought you only work part of the year and don't pay taxes" it sounds like that was true.

And by saying "You thought wrong" you actually meant "You are correct sir".

So I assume that above is cleared up now too?

Are your words intentionally misleading or is it something you just can't help?
Um you really don't make sense. You said "don't pay taxes", and I said you thought wrong, because I do pay EI and CPP.

Fact is that you don't pay federal taxes which is what this thread is about. This makes you look like an idiot for running your mouth.
I don't pay the federal tax, but I do pay the CPP and EI tax to the federal government. But I am going to be paying taxes in short order. I didn't realize it was a requirement to be involved in something to have an opinion about it... ?(

flavio

Banned
Yes, when clamoring for a tax break it would help you to not look so foolish if you actually paid any of the tax your talking about.

You have quite a good break already with this 0%.

So what's the name of this school you go to? I wonder if you're really getting a quality education.

flavio

Banned
Jerrek said:
In general, I don't just think about myself. I think of how it will help others too.

SaveTheRich, I know. It is very commendable for you to take up causes like this for the less fortunate. It really takes a lot of heart.