The "rich" needs a tax break

Q

Jerrek said:
Yes likewise... lol... I get full time student benefits at the bank, I get full time student benefits when buying software, and I also get full time employee benefits, not part time.
so you despise government handouts unless you are on the receiving end?

Jeslek

Banned
Q said:
It's getting really tough to keep all the bullshit straight.

When you go to the bank and tell them you are a full time student, are you there applying for a government subsidized loan, at a lower interest rate due to the fact that you are a student?
Stop making such assumptions. No, as a student I get a benefit from the bank in that all banking charges are half price. Debit card transations comes to mind.

Jeslek

Banned
Q said:
Jerrek said:
Yes likewise... lol... I get full time student benefits at the bank, I get full time student benefits when buying software, and I also get full time employee benefits, not part time.
so you despise government handouts unless you are on the receiving end?
I'm getting really sick of this. Where the FUCK did I say I get government handouts? Let me check... I didn't. :eek:

Jeslek

Banned
Squiggy said:
So you're a full time, part time worker and a fulltime, part time student....I get it...
*cheer* Thanks for understanding... Although I would reword it... I'm a part time full time worker and a part time full time student.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Jerrek said:
Coop is a way of being a full time student and a full time employee at the same time.

So is working your ass off all day, going to school at night, and raising six kids. But then I guess that's just my fault for having a family before I got my education.

Jeslek

Banned
PuterTutor said:
Jerrek said:
Coop is a way of being a full time student and a full time employee at the same time.

So is working your ass off all day, going to school at night, and raising six kids. But then I guess that's just my fault for having a family before I got my education.
Nah, nothing wrong with that. My mom studied after I was born. And I might do that too in the future. :)

Jeslek

Banned
flavio said:
So how much can you make before taxes start kicking in?
That depends how much you can deduct. From 0 to about $31,000 you pay 16%. But I can deduct enough to take me below $0 income.

flavio

Banned
Jerrek said:
flavio said:
That depends how much you can deduct. From 0 to about $31,000 you pay 16%. But I can deduct enough to take me below $0 income.

Below $0? That seems pretty shady. How's that work?

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Squiggy said:
I've always wondered why they hadn't done a flat tax long ago....There must be something that keeps them from doing it. It seems to make the most sense.

Why don't we have a flat tax? That's an easy answer. You'd put just about the entire IRS out of work. ;) Beaurocracy exists to support itself. If the IRS isn't safe, then who is? ;)

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
flavio said:
Jerrek said:
flavio said:

On that one he's right, it's legit...I can and do do that too...children, employment/education/moving for employment expenses, medical expenses, tax credits, property tax credit, it all subtracts from your gross income on which tax is payable, one's net can end up being below 0, one claims 0 in that case and pays nothing for income tax.

Q

flavio said:
I could be interpreting flav's response worng, but I'm guessing the below $0 is what he's zeroing in on. Here, depening on the circumstances, you may be entitled to a refund, if you paid in more federal tax that you are required to pay for your income level....but since LL pays NO federal taxes, it would be hard to imagine how he could claim a bunch of deductions and get a refund. Unless, of course, it's those pesky debit card finance charges. :D

flavio

Banned
I get a refund too, but it's not nearly as much money as I paid in tax.

I also have deductions which basically take money that I spent on qualifying items and deducts it from my income. But I can't spend more than I make.

I'm assuming this isn't just from deductible expenses though and there must be some sort of other tax credit involved.

Jeslek

Banned
I don't pay federal income tax because after deductions the federal government see my income as $0. And I don't get any refunds from the government. And flavio, stop being such an ass. I'm not being "shady", nor am I comitting a crime. I have a professional accountant that does my taxes for me because I don't know the law in and out.

flavio

Banned
Just trying to figure how that works.

Like I said I also have deductions which basically take money that I spent on qualifying items and deducts it from my income. But I can't spend more than I make.

I'm assuming this isn't just from deductible expenses though and there must be some sort of other tax credit involved.

RD_151

I never paid income tax in school! I had to pay some state tax, but never federal! Of course i always made less than $10k a year too.

RD_151

flavio said:
Jerrek said:
In general, I don't just think about myself. I think of how it will help others too.

SaveTheRich, I know. It is very commendable for you to take up causes like this for the less fortunate. It really takes a lot of heart.

LOL

I like that one :D

I should have read the whole thread. I guess I will now.