This joke will probably get me in huge trouble

HomeLAN

Jeez. What happened to "If you don't find it funny, ignore it"?

Everybody has to whine because they're "offended". If Inky's sense of humor offends you, stop reading his joke threads.

freako104

Inkara1 said:
I always thought liberals were supposed to be champions of free speech.

we are. Now Ill probably get a bit of slack for this but HomeLAN is right in that if you dont like it ignore it. Personally I did not in any way find it funny. Like most of the others I found it rather offensive. And people can and will offend each other. The best thing is to ignore what you dont like. That said I will admit I agree with Nixy on this as well. It shouldnt have been posted but since it was why not ignore it

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
Inkara1 said:
I don't find the holocaust funny, but I did find the joke about how many Jews you can fit in a Volkswagen funny. (FTR, the answer is: four in the seats and a million in the ashtray.)

huh???

offended!!

feeling wronged

and I've told that joke a thousand times.

It's just jokes, yes they are offensive, and crude, but if you don't like it, ignore it.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
Inkara1 said:
I always thought liberals were supposed to be champions of free speech.

boy you shore pulled that one outta nowhere...it's still here ain't it?

but keep in mind that while you can post your trash not giving a fuck WHO you might have made cry, others are just as entitled to say that it was an asshole thing to do. :shrug:

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
and I don't know that the new buzzword of the decade, offended, is really the right word for what this "joke" could do.

think more along the lines of searing pain down to the core, right in the pit of your stomach, the worst emotional pain you've ever had being brought right in front of your face when you least expected, and knowing that while you feel that someone is having a nice good giggle over it. It fuckin hurts man. And I know that little scrap of paper signed whenever ago says that you're entitled to free speech, and you all love to fling that around when you aren't agreed with, blahblahblah, but gawd, is there something wrong with being considerate and not going around causing pain to others?

and when you maybe realize it's unintentionally happened, that maybe you just didn't understand the pain you may cause...maybe instead of sticking your chests out and getting all boorish and callous, saying others are tromping on your free speech, maybe you could just say I'm sorry... and take a little lesson learned about life and go on with things.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
I agree with Leslie.

Noone said you COULDN'T post it, we said you SHOULDN'T post it.

A guy having his sister die when he was 2 of crib death is different than a parent having their child die of crib death. Yes, he has been told of it, knows that if it didn't happen he'd have a baby sister but he was 2, I am willing to be at the time he didn't understand what was going on and now he doesn't remember it except what he has been told. His parents however, they lived the nightmare and probably think of it everyday of their lives. Would you make a joke about people with cancer?? I would have said you had to much tact for that but now I am unsure. I can tell you though, if you did, I would be the one sitting here crying with the burning pain in the pit of my stomach that Les described, I know I would because it has happened to me...I've felt that pain when people have made rude and uncalled for jokes/comments about it...they didn't know about my dad when they did...doesn't mean it was ok and when they SAW my reaction they realized that such tasteless jokes DO hurt. S

So, inshort, noone is saying you CAN'T post these sorts of assholish, inconserate jokes all we're saying is PLEASE DON'T cause you don't know WHO might be sitting in front of their computer bawling their eyes out after reading it, or maybe even being so upset they have to go throw up (yeah, happened to me too). It might be someone you talk to on here everyday that you are hurting.

Think about it.

HomeLAN

OK, since we've now set the precedent that some things can't be approached without sepulchral seriousness, how about enlightening me on where the boundaries are. What's acceptable joking material, and what's not?

Just trying to clarify the rules here. God knows I don't want to be responsible for outraging anyone's sensabilities to the point that this thread has.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
First main guideline...if you feel the need to title the thread as Inky has...that probably means people will be offeneded

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Then doesn't that also assume that those that might me offended can just stay the fuck out? Or is Inky somehow responsible for you clicking on the thread too?

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Nope, he is not...

But, it stil shouldn't be posted

Spiders are ALL OVER this site, ALL the time. Imagine someone has a baby die of crib death, they google for more info and BOOM end up with this page...

HomeLAN

PuterTutor said:
Then doesn't that also assume that those that might me offended can just stay the fuck out? Or is Inky somehow responsible for you clicking on the thread too?

Not only that, but what you don't care about I might find offensive in the extreme. Does everybody get their input on what's verboten?

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
HomeLAN said:
OK, since we've now set the precedent that some things can't be approached without sepulchral seriousness, how about enlightening me on where the boundaries are. What's acceptable joking material, and what's not?

Just trying to clarify the rules here. God knows I don't want to be responsible for outraging anyone's sensabilities to the point that this thread has.
you don't know by now what simply being considerate is?

if you don't...and you have something to say, and you don't have the quality of character to know what you're saying may be hurtful, noone's gonna stop you from saying it...but all will judge what they think of you accordingly.

we all make mistakes and have lapses and don't realize in time that something we might have said or done may have been hurtful, but for gawd's sake, I should hope that when reminded one would at least feel a little remorse about it and express that.

PT

Then BOOM, this won't the worst fucking thing they'll see. What they'll probably find first is all the pictures....

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
OK, well, it was an example...

It's offensive and could seriosuly hurt some poeple

PT

Well, I guess we always could change the name to OPC, as not to offend anyone at all. That is the point, not the fact that this is somehow worse than others, but it was a fucking joke. Those that are taking offense are doing so after being warned that 1. IT's a joke, and 2. It's offensive.

I give up.

HomeLAN

if you don't...and you have something to say, and you don't have the quality of character to know what you're saying may be hurtful, noone's gonna tell you not to say it...but all will judge what they think of you accordingly.

Fine. But that's not what I'm seeing here. What I'm seeing here is a whole lot of "He never should have posted this."

Want to call him an asshole, go ahead. I might even get in line with you. Want to muzzle him, or call certain topics off limits, you're on your own.

Mirlyn

Really not sure what to think about this.

Yeah it was offensive and in bad taste, but thats the nature of most "bad jokes." You simply can't go through life execting someone else to put blinders on for you. If you do, by god, do not open a science book. Or a history book. Or an english book. Or the newspaper....

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
He knew it would offend based on the title, in THAT case he SHOULDN'T have posted it. If he had a lapse in judgement and it was then pointed out that it was offensive then, being human, he SHOULD feel remorse.

But, he posted it knowing that it could be REALLY offensive and seems to feel NO remorse about it AT ALL. HE doesn't care that he could be causing people to feel one of the most intense pains EVER