This joke will probably get me in huge trouble

HomeLAN

Luis G said:
Personally I don't have anything against what you said in previous posts. One can have consideration or not, some of us have, some others don't, your whole argument is based in that he should have had more consideration, and I fully agree with you. But I do have a problem with people telling that he shouldn't have posted it.

Thank you. This is the only place I was going.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Leslie said:
What happened to the court of public opinion? Kangaroo Court?

I should be able (according to the free-speech fanatics anyway) to tell an asshole when he's being an asshole and what about him is making him an asshole without a bunch of other assholes telling me that I'm too PC...cause really, if i was PC, I'd turn my head and not read and never learn anything.

Now I'm confused. I didn't find the joke funny, but I kept my thoughts to myself. Not because I didn't think my opinion mattered, but because I didn't think my opinion would matter to Inky. I do, however, find instances on both sides that like to use 'Free Speech' as a shield when they do, or say, something offensive. I've used it on occasion as well. Unfortunately, that's the reason free speech was entered into the constitution to begin with. To exchange ideas and to express opinions on everyday life that some may find offensive, while others find it a guiding truth to their lives. As for the 'compassion' side of humor...even this attempt at humor by Inky...it doesn't exist except for knock-knock jokes...and only those knock-knock jokes told by children. The important thing here is not that the joke is offensive. It's the degree of offense that the joke has...:shrug:

Squiggy

ThunderDick
:confused: If he'd had any consideration, he wouldn't have posted it. Not as a matter of free speech. Just as a matter of decency.

Gato_Solo

Squiggy said:
:confused: If he'd had any consideration, he wouldn't have posted it. Not as a matter of free speech. Just as a matter of decency.

Not to forgive the tasteless nature of the joke, Squiggy, but we've all hit the 'submit' button before thinking things all the way through...:shrug:

Professur

Gato_Solo said:
Not to forgive the tasteless nature of the joke, Squiggy, but we've all hit the 'submit' button before thinking things all the way through...:shrug:

I beg your pardon, but the thread title makes that moot. He knew fine and well, and posted anyways.

But what really suprised me at Inky posting this, is that I'd have expected his recent brush with fatherhood to have made him more sensitive to issues like this.

Squiggy

ThunderDick
Obviously, he did think it through. Hence the thread title. My problem with the whole joke is its potential to be devastatingly hurtful to someone. Thats all.

Gato_Solo

Squiggy said:
Obviously, he did think it through. Hence the thread title. My problem with the whole joke is its potential to be devastatingly hurtful to someone. Thats all.

Guess not everyone is versed in the rules of comedy...

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Leslie said:
I should be able (according to the free-speech fanatics anyway) to tell an asshole when he's being an asshole and what about him is making him an asshole without a bunch of other assholes telling me that I'm too PC...cause really, if i was PC, I'd turn my head and not read and never learn anything.

Yes, you should. The problem with that is it becomes a pointless shouting match with nothing being said. At least when the argument stays on topic it's saying something.

Gato_Solo

Squiggy said:
I've no idea what that is supposed to mean. :retard:

Rule number 1. Always tailor your jokes to your audience.
Rule number 2. Never laugh at your own jokes.
Rule number 3. Never use the same joke twice on the same audience.
Rule number 4. If using insults, change audience members frequently.

There are more, but I'm sure you get the picture now. That last post of mine, BTW, was in response to yours, but directed at Inky. Sorry about the confusion... :blush:

Wacky Nacky

Nixy said:
He knew it would offend based on the title, in THAT case he SHOULDN'T have posted it. If he had a lapse in judgement and it was then pointed out that it was offensive then, being human, he SHOULD feel remorse.

But, he posted it knowing that it could be REALLY offensive and seems to feel NO remorse about it AT ALL. HE doesn't care that he could be causing people to feel one of the most intense pains EVER
Dude, chill out. It said in the title he would get into trouble for posting it, so automatically you can infer that it probably is a mean joke. I mean, if he's going to get in trouble for it, it certainly isn't a nice joke.

Squiggy said:
Joke means it's not serious. It's okay to say "Dude, it's not funny." I personally find it funny. It's because I'm into dark humour. [[shrugs]] it's not everyone's thing though, but you did get a warning that it would get him into huge trouble. I don't think it's his fault if you didn't listen.

Gato_Solo

Wacky Nacky said:
Dude, chill out. It said in the title he would get into trouble for posting it, so automatically you can infer that it probably is a mean joke. I mean, if he's going to get in trouble for it, it certainly isn't a nice joke.

Joke means it's not serious. It's okay to say "Dude, it's not funny." I personally find it funny. It's because I'm into dark humour. [[shrugs]] it's not everyone's thing though, but you did get a warning that it would get him into huge trouble. I don't think it's his fault if you didn't listen.

How do I explain this...

Why do you touch an object with a "WET PAINT" sign?
Why do you stare at auto accidents?
It's human nature. Curiosity. You know it's going to be bad, but you have to look anyway...

Let's say that we're neighbors, and we hate each other, so we put up fences between our property. There's enough space between the fences, however, for somebody to walk and peek over either fence. One morning, you come outside and see a sign above my fence every 10 feet that says "Danger Minefield between fences". Do you walk between the fences anyway, to see what I'm doing?

Inkara1

I'd send a kitten. :D

OK, I was kidding on that last one. I doubt it will get me in as much trouble, though.

Squiggy

ThunderDick
Wacky Nacky said:

Try it this way...That thread title lets you know he may get in trouble. There is no way to tell from that title that you (or anyone else) may be devastated and very hurt by the content.

Gato_Solo

Inkara1 said:
I'd send a kitten. :D

OK, I was kidding on that last one. I doubt it will get me in as much trouble, though.

Not heavy enough to set off an APM...

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Squiggy said:
Try it this way...That thread title lets you know he may get in trouble. There is no way to tell from that title that you (or anyone else) may be devastated and very hurt by the content.

Thank you Squiggy

Gato_Solo

Squiggy said:

But...on the flip-side, Squiggy, he did get into trouble, so his title rings true. ;)

Spliffy

This place is getting worse and worse. No wonder i dont bother coming here much anymore. I can now see why.